Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 09:29:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Synchronization  (Read 764 times)
BitKid (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 01:24:36 PM

I wonder this sync thing does ever end? It has used nearly 16 GB of internet traffic and the progress bar is less than 20%!!! 32 weeks behind and every week takes longer time. The last 4 weeks from 37 to 33 took nearly 4 GB of download! and since it has been getting larger week by week so i guess another 1 TB of data is needed for remaining 32 weeks, right?! Cheesy

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jnagyjr

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

Psalm 15

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2013, 03:37:44 PM

each block is bigger than the last so yeah, each block will take longer to validate. Once it's done it's done, though, unless you nuke the local copy. Then you'll start all over again. It took me, give or take, about 48 hours to first sync the blockchain.

Proverbs 12:1
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 04:05:45 PM

This will help if you're doing a fresh install:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=145386.0

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 04:39:46 PM

each block is bigger than the last

This is not necessarily true.  Some blocks are bigger, others are smaller.

so yeah, each block will take longer to validate.

Some take longer, some take shorter.  But overall, there is a lot more transactions to validate in the most recent 3 months than there were in the first 3 months of bitcoin's existence

Once it's done it's done, though, unless you nuke the local copy.

Actually, every time you shut down, you'll need to re-synchronize to catch back up with any new blocks that have been created since you shut down.  The longer you have it shut down, the longer the synchronization will take when you start it back up again.

Then you'll start all over again. It took me, give or take, about 48 hours to first sync the blockchain.

Your time may very depending on the speed of your internet connection, the speed of your computer, the amount of RAM you have, the speed of disk access.

I wonder this sync thing does ever end?

It should eventually catch up, but it will continue downloading new blocks forever as they are created, and you'll have to sync any blocks that you miss if you shut down.

It has used nearly 16 GB of internet traffic and the progress bar is less than 20%!!!

I'm surprised at the amount of internet usage.  The blockchain when fully synchronized should be less than 15 GB on your hard drive right now.
BitKid (OP)

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 03:40:37 AM

thanks for the replies. i've closed the program on 32 weeks for now. the size of block folder (%appdata%\Bitcoin\blocks) is 5.32 GB, but i'm sure it has used more than 15 GB of internet traffic. where has the rest of it gone?! please don't tell me to check my firewall or other app usage, i know it for certain! is there something like "wasted" in Bittorent?
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 04:00:40 AM

thanks for the replies. i've closed the program on 32 weeks for now. the size of block folder (%appdata%\Bitcoin\blocks) is 5.32 GB, but i'm sure it has used more than 15 GB of internet traffic. where has the rest of it gone?! please don't tell me to check my firewall or other app usage, i know it for certain! is there something like "wasted" in Bittorent?
It's possible you're acting as a "seed," passing on the blocks you've received to others. There's no way to limit how much bandwidth is used to share blocks in the client. If on Windows (unsure of compatibility on other OSes), you might want to consider an application like NetLimiter, which'd allow you both to limit UDP activity in Bitcoin and monitor how much bandwidth the client's consuming (it provides graphs for data collected over time, too -- practically essential for anyone on a capped connection to determine where the bandwidth hogs really are). For reference, the Bitcoin client shouldn't need more than a 1kb/s upload allotment to download the blockchain. Netlimiter's useful in quite a few other applications, too (I've been looking for a FOSS alternative for doze, though, if anyone knows of any).

If it really is downloading that much for so little good information, there's probably a problem with a peer sending you loads of bad data, or a RAM/HDD/connectivity problem on your side. It'd be interesting (and maybe useful) to learn more - but for your sake, you might want to consider using a lite client like Electrum.
BitKid (OP)

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 01:35:50 AM

you might want to consider an application like NetLimiter, which'd allow you both to limit UDP activity in Bitcoin and monitor how much bandwidth the client's consuming

is it ok to block bitcoin on UDP port and just leave the TCP accessible?
sasuke234

Activity: 28

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 01:41:17 AM

yes it takes forever, just let it run overnight.
will1982

Activity: 122

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 01:51:14 AM

You can use a "light" wallet such as electrum
jnagyjr

Psalm 15

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2013, 02:35:29 AM

You can use a "light" wallet such as electrum

Running a full wallet is more secure, though you might wind up deleting your own coins (forever) if you don't do proper backups.

shuttleclock

Activity: 50

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 05:16:38 AM

And why does downloading the whole blockchain on full wallet make it more secure than just using light wallet?
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 05:17:27 AM

you might want to consider an application like NetLimiter, which'd allow you both to limit UDP activity in Bitcoin and monitor how much bandwidth the client's consuming

is it ok to block bitcoin on UDP port and just leave the TCP accessible?
No, and that's why you'd want something which can limit bandwidth consumption on an application level like NetLimiter. BTC still has to fully communicate, you just don't want uploading blocks taking up all possible upload bandwidth of your connection.
jnagyjr

Psalm 15

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2013, 08:21:44 PM

And why does downloading the whole blockchain on full wallet make it more secure than just using light wallet?

Your own hardware has verified all the blocks, plus all your addresses (and your coins) stay local to you. Using a light wallet, you are still essentially using an online wallet and have to trust others to not steal your BTC (not saying it'll happen, but I'm sure it has).

orymh

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2013, 12:37:37 AM

Your own hardware has verified all the blocks, plus all your addresses (and your coins) stay local to you. Using a light wallet, you are still essentially using an online wallet and have to trust others to not steal your BTC (not saying it'll happen, but I'm sure it has).

This isn't quite right. Your Bitcoins never really "stay local" - they're attached to addresses on the blockchain, and those addresses are everywhere a copy of the blockchain is.

What matters is your private keys. As long as your private keys are kept safe, your Bitcoins are safe, so you want a Bitcoin client that stores your private keys locally. MultiBit and Electrum both do this.

An online wallet that stores your private keys online (as most Bitcoin exchanges do) is higher risk, because somebody else theoretically could access your private keys without your knowledge.

everwanna

Activity: 7

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 04:19:33 AM

This will help if you're doing a fresh install:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=145386.0

thanks very much!

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=145386.msg1542846#msg1542846
this post in the thread is the best  Grin
nahtnam
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2013, 04:39:04 AM

Why download the entire blockchain when you can just use a online wallet... Well I do use a online wallet but just for fun I have the full blockchain downloaded...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: