Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 10:14:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is Tether and why is it so stable?  (Read 184 times)
Funky_Yoda (OP)

Activity: 26
Merit: 8

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 03:57:40 PM

Just wondering. Its always 1 dollar, give or take 2-3 cents some times
sylance

Activity: 392
Merit: 102

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 04:10:22 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tether_(cryptocurrency)

Essentially, the group behind Tether promises to hold one US dollar for every coin they mint.  Thus it's worth a dollar because you can always buy them straight from Tether.  It's a much needed mechanism on exchanges so we can have a stable currency on one side of the trading exchange.  This also replaces real USD for exchanges so they can bypass KYC (Know Your Customer) regulations and other laws required for institutions that trade with US dollars.

DeepOnion    ▬▬  Anonymous and Untraceable  ▬▬    ENJOY YOUR PRIVACY  •  JOIN DEEPONION
▐▐▐▐▐▐▐▐   ANN  Whitepaper  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram  Discord    ▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌
Get $ONION  (✔Cryptopia  ✔KuCoin)  |  VoteCentral  Register NOW!  |  Download DeepOnion
captain8

Activity: 308
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 04:21:01 PM

I get why USDT exisits and think its a brilliant concept, i just dont fully trust it,

Can anyone convince me otherwise?

lakimens

Merit: 101

PVxYGaa1UZM6oDqW3ZKe4Esi18DgwBpDkr

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 04:43:05 PM

I get why USDT exisits and think its a brilliant concept, i just dont fully trust it,

Tether were subpoenaed in December, it's now February and they haven't received a C&D.

That's the point of it. Digital USD. Instead of cashing out before a crash, you convert to USDT.

⚡⚡ PRiVCY ⚡⚡   ▂▃▅▆█ PRiVCY ($PRIV) is a new PoW/PoS revolutionary privacy project Best privacy crypto-market! █▆▅▃▂
    Own Your Privacy! ───────────────── WebsiteGithub  |  Bitcointalk  |  Twitter  |  Discord  |  Explorer ─────────────────
   ✯✯✯✯✯                 ✈✈✈[Free Airdrop - Starts 9th June][Bounty]✈✈✈ ║───────────║ Wallet Windows  |  macOS  |  Linux
coastbank

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Presale Starting May 1st

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 04:46:49 PM

It was probably released as great alternative to real usd, because it is very hard to go to real usd from altcoins when crash is happening. But bitfinex, company behind tether made shady things that I am not gonna describe (you should research).

Turkish88

Activity: 714
Merit: 104

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 04:47:23 PM

USDT is digital analogue of fiat dollar.
Tether says what every coin accepted by real dollar but recently they were summoned to court

Help to Ukrainian citizens
ETH donations adress - 0xe23CB47AC32F0b8750d4D0Dd4e160Fa6F8fF30EF
sylance

Merit: 102

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 06:19:50 PM

I don't trust it either but really my only alternative when the market is falling is to cash out everything to bitcoin and send to Coinbase... then cash out to USD.  That'll cost huge fees and it puts my transaction onto Coinbases radar which I don't really want to do.

I do hope Tether gets its act together or another competitor shows up that does the same thing.

DeepOnion    ▬▬  Anonymous and Untraceable  ▬▬    ENJOY YOUR PRIVACY  •  JOIN DEEPONION
▐▐▐▐▐▐▐▐   ANN  Whitepaper  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram  Discord    ▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌
Get $ONION  (✔Cryptopia  ✔KuCoin)  |  VoteCentral  Register NOW!  |  Download DeepOnion
Mi5h0

Activity: 560
Merit: 273

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 06:45:50 PM

Like other cryptocurrencies it uses blockchain. Unlike other cryptocurrencies, each USDT unit is (according to the official Tether web site) 100% backed by USD (USD is held in reserve). Basically, Tether converts cash into digital currency, to anchor the value of the coin to the price of fiat currencies like the US dollar, the Euro, and the Yen.

However, if you are interested in using Tether, I’d advise never storing significant sums in it and always use Tether short-term and with caution.

Tether is directed by some of the same people behind Bitfinex and new Tether accounts flow mostly to Bitfinex. Critics accuse Bitfinex and Tether of running a fractional reserve scheme: more USDT are issued than are backed by fiat dollars. Critics further allege that unbacked Tether accounts are used to artificially inflate the price of Bitcoin for the purpose of market manipulation.
chocopapaya

Activity: 686
Merit: 131

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2018, 01:15:16 AM

Whoooaaaaahhhhhh, stay away from usdt.

As people have said, it is supposedly tied to the US dollar.
They claim that every tether is backed up by real USD and you can liquidate your tether anytime.

The problem is...you can't.
The "exchange" (just their website) won't allow for exchanges because their bank isn't accepting international wires or something.

On top of that, just think about it, if the price is always a dollar, why does it rise the ranks of coinmarketcap?
Because they are literally minting HUNDREDS of millions of tether.

Are you going to tell me that they just suddenly got their hand on hundreds of millions of dollars last January?
No, they are trying to make money out of thing air.
The most logical thing is, they don't have real usd to back everything up.

leland orser

Activity: 196

The Experience Layer of the Decentralized Internet

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 01:37:08 AM

Tether is a company.
What you say and the dollar is USDT tokens, although most exchanges are using USDT, but I still worry about the USDT, because now Tether  company still not to disclose their bank accounts, no one knows whether they control the market price.

Endikadija

Activity: 1458
Merit: 509

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 02:29:21 AM

Whoooaaaaahhhhhh, stay away from usdt.

As people have said, it is supposedly tied to the US dollar.
They claim that every tether is backed up by real USD and you can liquidate your tether anytime.

The problem is...you can't.
The "exchange" (just their website) won't allow for exchanges because their bank isn't accepting international wires or something.

On top of that, just think about it, if the price is always a dollar, why does it rise the ranks of coinmarketcap?
Because they are literally minting HUNDREDS of millions of tether.

Are you going to tell me that they just suddenly got their hand on hundreds of millions of dollars last January?
No, they are trying to make money out of thing air.
The most logical thing is, they don't have real usd to back everything up.
About the reserved of tether company to backed USDT to get stable value just like the dollar and it's still in the audit process. But much bad news said about that. There is no differences between tether company and bankers. They can print it anytime as they want. many people are realizing about the irrational growth of tether from 350 million tether to more than 2 billion worth of tether.
btcluisdiki

Activity: 448

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 03:12:38 AM

Based on my research,Tether is a cryptocurrency token claimed by its creators to be supported by one dollar for each token released. This claim is widely suspected and Tether Limited has not issued a promised audit staking the claim. Tether caters tokenized conventional government backed currencies on the Bitcoin and Ethereum blockchain. The thought  is that it's much more stationary than most digital coins that have vast price swings.
shaadsufi

Activity: 182
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 25, 2018, 11:19:30 PM

Tether is a cryptocurrency that mirrors the value of the United States dollars it is dependent upon the valuation of the dollar hence it is linked to the US government to create a stable cryptocurrency environment it can be linked to ripple which is collaborating with many financial institutions unlike many of the capitalist detailed is the middle of all the cryptocurrency coin regulated by the United States government.
sammyp

Activity: 854
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 25, 2018, 11:52:55 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tether_(cryptocurrency)

Essentially, the group behind Tether promises to hold one US dollar for every coin they mint.  Thus it's worth a dollar because you can always buy them straight from Tether.  It's a much needed mechanism on exchanges so we can have a stable currency on one side of the trading exchange.  This also replaces real USD for exchanges so they can bypass KYC (Know Your Customer) regulations and other laws required for institutions that trade with US dollars.
I have also been wondering why tether is so stable even when all other coins get messed up. I now now get the reason behind it. Thanks for the information.

███████           C O M P R O   F I N A N C E           ███████
The DeFi Way of Synthetic Assets & Trading
│     TELEGRAM     │      TWITTER      │       REDDIT       │      MEDIUM      │
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: