Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 11:43:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: missing ONE WORD of my WAVES seed phrase, is there a chance?  (Read 283 times)
abcdfGEEZ (OP)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 06:37:53 PM

Hi,

I got 14 of 15 words of my WAVES seed phrase. I dont know the position of the missing word, i do have the public key...

So odds arent too bad right? is there a tool that I can use? I bet I am not the first noob to have this kind of problem...

Thanks in advance for any helpful answer

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 07:20:04 PM

Hi,

I got 14 of 15 words of my WAVES seed phrase. I dont know the position of the missing word, i do have the public key...

So odds arent too bad right? is there a tool that I can use? I bet I am not the first noob to have this kind of problem...

There are 2048 possible words to choose from for the missing word.

There are 15 positions that the missing word could be in.

That's 2048 X 15 = 30,720 possibilities total.

I'm not sure if there is a tool, but it wouldn't be difficult to create one, and it shouldn't take more than a few minutes for a modern computer to try all 30,720 possibilities.
nakauten

Activity: 210
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 07:24:23 PM

Hi,

That is odd why would you missed one word from 15word see phrase?there would be less chance for you to get it back.Seed phrases should be kept like what we are doing in our private keys so if something wrong happened we can easily recover any of our holdings.Actually you are the first one who had this problem,you shouldnt lose any of these imprant details.

sourish

Activity: 532
Merit: 114

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 07:31:55 PM

Good luck to you man! Hope you find some solution to this really odd problem, for i too havent heard anything like this before.
justin86

Activity: 406
Merit: 100

Market Integration Platform

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 07:32:06 PM

Hi,

I'm not sure if there is a tool, but it wouldn't be difficult to create one, and it shouldn't take more than a few minutes for a modern computer to try all 30,720 possibilities.

If so, OP can access his or her wallet, just need a tool for this process but it might cost a lot I don't know, the amount of money in your wallet is important as well.

cryptonero

Activity: 210
Merit: 12

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 07:37:36 PM

Morelikely you wont have a chance to recover your investments because it will take a lot of years before you finally got the last word combination.I dont know how did you lose that one word phrase which is unacceptable because you have already the 14.There is no way or tool that might help your situation you should move on now.

abcdfGEEZ (OP)

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 08:18:41 PM

Hi,

Thanks for your answer, very helpful!

Is it important thats its a waves wallet and nit bitcoin?

Maybe i will have to learn how to code now
abcdfGEEZ (OP)

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 08:20:28 PM

Hi,

Should be brute forceable quite easily. As Danny said on top, there are 2048 words in the seed wordlist - you can find them here - https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0039/bip-0039-wordlists.md and 30,720 total possibilities - a python based script should be able to work it out quite quickly.

Hi thanks for answering.

Same question as for Danny, are the waves seed set of words different?

We are talking 800 waves so not the world for now but i can see waves at 50$ this year and the butthurt will only grow.
Singwala

Activity: 462
Merit: 260

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 08:47:54 PM

Oh! That's hard because, Because you have too many words you need to talk about. Good luck, but it looks like no hope of recovering your wallet seeds. So it should be a lesson to you to be careful and always keep your wallet seeds in good condition as soon as it's gone you can not open your wallet

▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████████▄▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████████████▄▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████ ██ ████████▄▀█▄
█ ███████▄▄ ▌ ▄▄▄ ▀██████ █
█ █████████ ▌ ████ ██████ █
█ █████████ ▌ ▄▄▄▄ ▀█████ █
█ █████████ ▌ █████ █████ █
█ █████▄▀▀  ▌ ▀▀▀▀ ▄█████ █
▀█▄▀███████ ██ ████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▀███████████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▀███████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
JINBI

merges gold’s investment
holding value
with
blockchain technology
[
T H E   G O L D E N   I C O
────────     WHITEPAPER     ────────
]
▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████████▄▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████████████▄▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████ ██ ████████▄▀█▄
█ ███████▄▄ ▌ ▄▄▄ ▀██████ █
█ █████████ ▌ ████ ██████ █
█ █████████ ▌ ▄▄▄▄ ▀█████ █
█ █████████ ▌ █████ █████ █
█ █████▄▀▀  ▌ ▀▀▀▀ ▄█████ █
▀█▄▀███████ ██ ████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▀███████████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▀███████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
JumboCactuar

Activity: 166
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 08:59:38 PM

^ as someone said up top

As he knows 14/15 words,he can generate the possible combinations and bruteforce it with a tool.

I don't know of any such tool but someone could do it at a small price
abcdfGEEZ (OP)

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 10:17:42 PM

^ as someone said up top

As he knows 14/15 words,he can generate the possible combinations and bruteforce it with a tool.

I don't know of any such tool but someone could do it at a small price

Exactly!

I think I found just the right motivation now to learn how to code. I was wanting to but didnt really find an entrance.

Since the number of options is within the physically possible threshold to calculate and the ecuadion basicalle is “14 words plus 1 in 15 possible positions = public key” I think its a good first task.

The recobery tool for waves shows you the public key that corresponds to the seed tou are entering.
The One Who Knocks

Activity: 41
Merit: 2

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 10:22:00 PM

Hi,

I believe that a simple coding will go trough that list of combination rather quickly ( anyways, more quicker than the average human). Python seems a good tool to implement the code
abcdfGEEZ (OP)

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 11:12:25 PM

Hi,

Should be brute forceable quite easily. As Danny said on top, there are 2048 words in the seed wordlist - you can find them here - https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0039/bip-0039-wordlists.md and 30,720 total possibilities - a python based script should be able to work it out quite quickly.

Hi thanks for answering.

We are talking 800 waves so not the world for now but i can see waves at 50$ this year and the butthurt will only grow.

No, it's the same set of 2048 words. A script should be fairly simple to get done. Here's one - https://github.com/PyWaves/pywavestools/blob/master/address_generator.py#L225 - which checks possible seeds with addresses and can be modified to meet your particular case.

Thanks, looks like what I was searching for. I will try to understand this. What kind of program do I need to run this kind of code?
trademark
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 11:25:40 PM

Just curious, how did you lose one random word of your Waves seed?  All you had to do was click copy and save it somewhere.  Even if you accidentally copied only 14 words, they would be consecutive so you know you're either missing the 1st word or the last word. 
abcdfGEEZ (OP)

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 11:32:04 PM

Just curious, how did you lose one random word of your Waves seed?  All you had to do was click copy and save it somewhere.  Even if you accidentally copied only 14 words, they would be consecutive so you know you're either missing the 1st word or the last word. 

I wrote it down by hand, and copied another time by hand and destroyed the first. How I could lose a word in the process, dont ask me.
abcdfGEEZ (OP)

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 05:18:02 PM

Hi,

Hi thanks for answering.

No, it's the same set of 2048 words. A script should be fairly simple to get done. Here's one - https://github.com/PyWaves/pywavestools/blob/master/address_generator.py#L225 - which checks possible seeds with addresses and can be modified to meet your particular case.

Thanks, looks like what I was searching for. I will try to understand this. What kind of program do I need to run this kind of code?

It's written in python. You can run it on the terminal on the Mac/command line on Windows or use an Integrated Development Environment (IDE) like PyCharm. If you wish to learn, you can get started here - https://www.codecademy.com/catalog/language/python

Security tip : Before running any code, make sure you understand what each line does.

I really appreciate your help. I will dive into it. Luckily I know a developer that can give me a hand. I will let you guys know how if/how it worked!
JesusCryptos

Activity: 714
Merit: 117

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 09:03:47 PM

Hi,

This is a pretty easy script to assemble for someone who is able to code. You could probably even do it with a php script. If you cannot yourself, look for a friend who can.

⚪ Byteball          I T   J U S T   W O R K S .  
Sending Crypto to Email   -   Risk-Free Conditional Smart Payments   -   ICO Platform with KYC
ANN THREAD                  TELEGRAM                     TWITTER                  MEDIUM                  SLACK                  REDDIT
abcdfGEEZ (OP)

View Profile
March 25, 2018, 06:52:45 PM

Hi,

Hi thanks for answering.

It worked, a friend of mine did it! Thanks for your help!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: