Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 11:55:54 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoins are not a stable currency?  (Read 1007 times)
Flora (OP)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 07:26:41 PM

I just read "Got a decent windfall of BTC, what to do?" and it gave me some new information. I thought that Bitcoins were worth whatever they were worth - had a fixed price or fixed USD equivalent - but apparently the worth of Bitcoins fluctuates! What do you think about this fact? I was wanting to use Bitcoins but now I don't feel that using them would be especially safe because what if I made the incorrect choice about at what value to buy or sell? That seems tricky for people who don't play the stock market. I think that Bitcoins are just what we need - finally, something new! But apparently they aren't going to be as simple to use as I thought.
nimda

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 07:30:41 PM

The price of everything fluctuates. Even the dollar.

If you're in it to use bitcoins, rather than to speculate on them, just dollar-cost-average to purchase them.
hek92

Activity: 14

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 07:36:48 PM

Bitcoin is not a stable currency.It was at 154 few days ago but now it is 120 so it involves risks but for the time it is good.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 07:49:57 PM

The price of everything fluctuates.  One reason that Bitcoins appear unstable is because your frame of reference is (probably) a different currency, such as the US dollar.  Another reason that Bitcoin appear unstable is because they have a small market capitalization (i.e. the total exchange value of all of the bitcoins together) relative to those other currencies that they exchange with.  The latter effect will diminish as the Bitcoin-using economy grows, but will never completely vanish.  The previous effect is actually an illusion caused by perspectives.  For example, once upon a time the US $ was backed by, and therefore held a fixed exchange rate with gold.  Gold is money, currencies are just widely accepted coupons.  If you take an ounce of gold as your fixed perspective, the relative value of every fiat currency on earth has been pretty volitile over the past decade.  Not as volitile as Bitcoins, but Bitcoins are a fiscal experiment that isn't even five whole years old yet, and doesn't yet have a user base even as large as the Monegasque franc.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1078

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 09:00:31 PM

Yeah, so I can only agree with the other posts here.  We have to expect that the price of anything can fluctuate.  If the price of bitcoin was fixed to the price of something else, it would still fluctuate as that other thingy does.  I don't see anything around fluctuating prices as long as the world keeps on turnin'
makebitcoin

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 10:22:48 PM

There are still a ton of BTC to be mined so you can't be sure that it will rise in short term.
In the long term I have some trust in BTC since it has a great community behind it.
If more businesses start implementing Bitcoin at a fast rate I think you can be sure that future is bright for Bitcoin.
At the moment though the currency is unstable.
There have been huge value fluctations in the short term excistence of Bitcoin.
A lot of factors are unknown.
By investing in BTC you are basicly making a risky investments comparable to stock options.
tondaS

Activity: 122
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 10:57:35 PM

The price of everything fluctuates. Even the dollar.

If you're in it to use bitcoins, rather than to speculate on them, just dollar-cost-average to purchase them.

Thats true, USD fluctuates pretty high to my standard, Euro
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 12:12:53 AM

If you talk to people around here, the value can only go up, uP, UP! So.... that means buy BUY BUY!  Roll Eyes

Wink
mobile

Activity: 400

the sun is shining, but the ice is still slippery

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 12:21:48 AM

I forget where I read this but its interesting to see at times the correlation of the value in the USD and BTC. When the USD is trending downward there are times well see BTC trend upward.

http://thegenesisblock.com/want-to-know-where-btc-prices-are-going-watch-usd/
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=240008.0

1MoBi1eNbqh8QMuvtZjYzQGV8NEckJJYcT rep|GnuPG <3 CLAM <3
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 12:26:00 AM

I just read "Got a decent windfall of BTC, what to do?" and it gave me some new information. I thought that Bitcoins were worth whatever they were worth - had a fixed price or fixed USD equivalent - but apparently the worth of Bitcoins fluctuates! What do you think about this fact? I was wanting to use Bitcoins but now I don't feel that using them would be especially safe because what if I made the incorrect choice about at what value to buy or sell? That seems tricky for people who don't play the stock market. I think that Bitcoins are just what we need - finally, something new! But apparently they aren't going to be as simple to use as I thought.

If something is worth a constant amount of dollars it's value is indeed not constant but declining. Actually declining quite rapidly as well.
mobile

Activity: 400

the sun is shining, but the ice is still slippery

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 12:26:30 AM

If something is worth a constant amount of dollars it's value is indeed not constant but declining. Actually declining quite rapidly as well.
+1

1MoBi1eNbqh8QMuvtZjYzQGV8NEckJJYcT rep|GnuPG <3 CLAM <3
BitCoiner2012

Activity: 364

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 12:30:57 AM

I think it's fantastic. Everything is floating even if you don't know it - USD is a massive, "managed" currency. Your perspective is more of a relativity thing.

The more you learn about Bitcoin, the more you'll like it.

BTC Long.
herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2013, 12:34:34 AM

who'd stabilize the stabilators?

BTC is a decentralized currency, no one can control it and fix it to anything. It will eventually stabilize (while still slowly appreciating in value) once it has achieved sufficient adoption.

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
AntiOps

Activity: 42

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 12:37:40 AM

BTC is a decentralized currency, no one can control it and fix it to anything. It will eventually stabilize (while still slowly appreciating in value) once it has achieved sufficient adoption.

Thats not entirely true. Any bank at the moment can easily buy a game changing amount of BTC and control it. Its finite, so in theory it is controllable.
bitcoinapps

Activity: 5

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 03:43:13 AM

It is very unstable, it was 15$ once then 0$ the other day.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 04:55:16 AM

Thats not entirely true. Any bank at the moment can easily buy a game changing amount of BTC and control it. Its finite, so in theory it is controllable.

Only if they are willing to do so at a loss, and the potential for loss is infinite.  And their loss would likely be others' gain.  Let them try.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
blisscan

Activity: 52

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2013, 07:08:12 AM

It might be the case that bitcoins are more stable than other currencies.

Other currencies depend on central authorities that do all kinds of stupid and nasty things. Bitcoin has shown to be predictable. The number of bitcoins increase closely following a pre-arranged plan. Transactions work as expected. No one's account is "frozen". No one has forbidden to donate bitcoins to wikileaks.

With bitcoin, we create the money and we are in control. The community that created it and backed it is remarkably smart. With other currencies, there are central authorities that create and control the money, and the rest of us have to work for them.
marcovaldo

Activity: 350

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 11:27:43 AM

It depends on the reference. If something is worth 10 dollars now, and it is fixed, it will be worth 10 dollars in 2 years, and it will be constant.

What you mean is that the dollar is inflating, and such the value of the object should decrease over time. Which is wrong.

The first and most severe dollar deflation was during the depression from 1818-21 when prices of agricultural commodities declined by almost 50%.
The second was the depression of the late 1830s to 1843, following the Panic of 1837, when the currency in the United States contracted by about 33%, a contraction which is only matched by the Great Depression.

It is not because you wrongly believe that the dollar value will always decrease, that it is true.

BITEX
            ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
                  ███     ███     ███
                    ███     ███     ███
                      ███     ███     ███
                        ███     ███     ███
                          ███     ███     ███
                            ███     ███     ███
                              ███     ███     ███
                            ███     ███     ███
                          ███     ███     ███
                        ███     ███     ███
                      ███     ███     ███
                    ███     ███     ███
                  ███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███

The First Locally-Embedded, Yet Global, Crypto-Bank
TELEGRAM    FACEBOOK   TWITTER    YOUTUBE    LINE

███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███
          ███     ███     ███
        ███     ███     ███
      ███     ███     ███
    ███     ███     ███
  ███     ███     ███
███     ███     ███
  ███     ███     ███
    ███     ███     ███
      ███     ███     ███
        ███     ███     ███
          ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
               ███     ███     ███
                 ███     ███     ███

WHITEPAPER | ANN
JOIN WHITELIST NOW!
sasuke234

Activity: 28

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 10:00:43 PM

yes, bitcoin is a very unstable currency. It only increases in value over the long term.
marcotheminer
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1049

┴puoʎǝq ʞool┴

View Profile
September 22, 2013, 05:09:08 AM

Bitcoin is not a stable currency.It was at 154 few days ago but now it is 120 so it involves risks but for the time it is good.

Most currencies fluctuate ALOT more than bitcoins, so thinking about this, Bitcoin is actually a pretty trustworthy and stable in today's terms.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: