Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 11:58:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Becoming licensed as a money transmitter  (Read 3433 times)
krypton1 (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 24, 2011, 03:20:13 AM

After reading this thread about how using bitcoin is legal/illegal
http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=227.0

I started wondering about some of the service providers coming up around bitcoin and who could be affected by money transmitter licensing rules.  (Individuals using bitcoin don't seem to be affected by this, so I'm thinking of service providers here - specifically those who may want to incorporate or reside in the U.S.)

Apparently Paypal had to become licensed as a money transmitter.  This page has some more info:
http://www.goodwinprocter.com/~/media/Files/Publications/Attorney%20Articles/2003/Risky_Business_State_Regulation_of_Money_Transmitters.ashx

My question is if you became licensed as a money transmitter in a bunch of states, what are the implications of this?
- Do you pay a transaction fee to the state now?
- Are you required to report identity of the sender/receiver to the state?

This sort of thing could become more important as BitCoin attempts to enter the mainstream, or be offered as a payment alternative at retail shops, etc.
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Anonymous

January 24, 2011, 03:41:24 AM

- Are you required to report identity of the sender/receiver to the state?

Short answer is yes - if you are registered....

krypton1 (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 24, 2011, 03:55:58 AM

This is what I thought too, but how does Western Union do it?

From what I've read people can pickup money from Western Union without an ID using the money transfer number:
http://www.bustathief.com/western-union-moneygram-popular-scammer-payment-options/

This is what makes it attractive for scams (and I guess also if you lose your wallet in a foreign country).  Maybe they require ID to send money, but not to receive it?  They are licensed as a money transmitter.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2011, 03:57:41 AM

I know there is a strong expectation that government regulate banking, but the whole point of Bitcoin is that two consenting people can transact together without permission approval or taxation. If you start a business that effectively does nothing but break privacy and pass a tax along to your customers as a fee I do't see a bright future for you.

If Bitcoin becomes mainstream it will be because people don't want business as usual, not because they want everything to stay the same, but the name. We already have a process for name only change, it's called an election.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: