Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 02:58:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Should I Escrow If I Want To Sell?  (Read 646 times)
flbtlgx (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 10:45:04 PM

So, let's say I want to sell something on one of the trade sub forums here on bitcointalk.

Do most people use escrow when purchasing something?

Also, when it comes to selling something yourself, if it's an item that say, only has a one time use like a code or something of that nature, is it normal to request payment first before sending such a code?
rammy2k2
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 10:49:18 PM

always escrow, thats how u build trust
flbtlgx (OP)

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 10:51:49 PM

If I wanted a transaction to occur quickly, being new here, how can I trust someone doing the escrow?

Is there possibly a list of folks that offer doing escrow here on bitcointalk?
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3276
Merit: 4111

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 10:52:00 PM

Yes, even if the person you are dealing with is considered "trustworthy". This protects buyers and sellers.

John K, is the one to look for. But, there are many people to do it with. Or you could just use Bitmit etc.
cbhelp

Activity: 56

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 11:42:00 PM

Beware of people who refuse escrow
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3276
Merit: 4111

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 11:50:56 PM

So, let's say I want to sell something on one of the trade sub forums here on bitcointalk.

Also, when it comes to selling something yourself, if it's an item that say, only has a one time use like a code or something of that nature, is it normal to request payment first before sending such a code?

It depends on many factors such as reputation of trading partner and item's value. For example if you are dealing with a long-standing member with an item of minimal value you may not want to escrow, but if you're dealing with a new member for an item of high value you probably would.

I disagree. If the item is not going to be worth much with paying fees for the escrow, then I agree. However, if you still earn a profit then I would always use escrow. Maybe ask buyer to pay for escrow as a lot of sellers do. Small amount of Bitcoin today could be worth a lot more in the future.
flbtlgx (OP)

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 11:55:55 PM

It depends on many factors such as reputation of trading partner and item's value. For example if you are dealing with a long-standing member with an item of minimal value you may not want to escrow, but if you're dealing with a new member for an item of high value you probably would.

I disagree. If the item is not going to be worth much with paying fees for the escrow, then I agree. However, if you still earn a profit then I would always use escrow. Maybe ask buyer to pay for escrow as a lot of sellers do. Small amount of Bitcoin today could be worth a lot more in the future.

Yeah, in this situation it would be one of those things where if the buyer wanted to do escrow I would be fine with it, but I would request that they do the research of finding a person to handle the escrow and pay any applicable fees of the escrow, since escrow is more tilted towards buyer confidence than seller. Still that being said, once an escrow is chosen by the buyer, i would want to research said escrower so I'm not out both an item and the possible BTC I could have made.
BitPappa

Activity: 431
Merit: 261

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2013, 12:28:45 AM

As a seller, you obviously don't need escrow if you're getting paid in BTC before sending the product. But, assuming the item value isn't tiny (like under $10 bucks), seems a seller shouldn't balk at a buyer's request for escrow.

I've purchased two things from BitcoinTalk.org, neither using escrow. The first was a 1BTC Casascius coin, and I purchased it w/o escrow, because the seller looked to be very reputable. And sure enough, it was an extremely professional transaction. And then I purchased a copper bitcoin round, and didn't look carefully enough to make sure the "satisfied buyers" weren't plants, and I got ripped off. But it was for so little money, I was fine chalking up the loss as a lesson, and I wouldn't have bothered with escrow on such a small purchase.

In my mind, a lot has to do with reputation and value of the product. I'd risk a fair amount on someone who seems to have a proven good reputation, but very little on someone who does not... Though, I suppose, a good con artist might take his time to establish a good reputation, then when the money is really flowing in, just disappear.

monbux
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2013, 12:40:51 AM

That's like asking if you should open your mouth to eat.  Of COURSE use an escrow when selling things!  If it is a physical shipping item, be sure to provide tracking as proof so your funds can be released.
tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1078

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 01:22:29 AM

I've never done any buying or selling on here but I can say that I would definitely use escrow if I was purchasing from a pseudo-anonymous person in an online forum (right?).
SpeculateThis

Activity: 50

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 12:26:58 AM

#1 Always use escrow  Cool
#2 Beware of people who don't want to use escrow  Huh
#3 Keep in mind that a member's account status isn't the only indicator of trustworthiness, since reputable accounts can be bought and sold  Undecided
#4 After your first time using it, you realize that it's much less complicated than it sounds Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: