Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 03:20:33 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I have a nasty urge! HELP  (Read 2826 times)
NineLives (OP)

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2013, 11:12:09 PM

I have an urge to buy the harsh fast 3500 dollar miner @ 400GHz.. They claim to start shipping November. .

do I or don't I?

where else can I spend that money with a good return?

do I really just buy some coins and sit on it?

Bitcoin Mining Hardware:   www.mininghardware.co.uk
AntiOps

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 11:18:21 PM

I'd invest in Litecoins why? Widely seen as the sister currency to Bitcoin (Gold->Silver). At under $3 per, its bound to go higher? But, how much higher is the real question.

NineLives (OP)

Activity: 252

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2013, 11:19:50 PM

So definitely a no to hardware?

Bitcoin Mining Hardware:   www.mininghardware.co.uk
AntiOps

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 11:25:14 PM

So definitely a no to hardware?

Not an expert on hashing/hardware, so can't offer advice, sorry Sad
DaFool

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 11:25:34 PM

Considering that most of the mining devices didn't ship in time to make a profit I would suggest you just buy bitcoins and hold them. (Look at BFL for example)

The difficulty is rising pretty harshly as we speak and you can try and calculate your potential monetary results with this calculator:

http://btcinvest.net/bitcoin-mining-profit-calculator.php

Regardless which option you choose welcome to the community and have fun with your BTC / your mining hardware!

edit: typo

http://btcinvest.net/bitcoin-mining-profit-calculator.php - check it out! ✓ next difficulty + time left ✓ customizable monthly (diff + USD/BTC) increasements ✓ device lead time ✓ update: auto-compares device costs to BTC-buy profit ♥ 1btciBCKb59TbzNj5QzC2EXWDARxtJL1f
BTC: 19jQ4w1iNNGzc4qfHtrTfJZjMeqntBAXmg
mindtomatter

Activity: 434
Merit: 254

Editor-in-Chief of Let's Talk Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2013, 11:28:02 PM
Last edit: September 14, 2013, 11:47:58 PM by mindtomatter

I don't think a Litecoin investment is any less speculative than a latest-gen mining hardware one.  Litecoin is NOT "bound to go higher" and the analogies about gold and silver totally fall apart when you acknowledge Bitcoin's divisibility invalidates the argument.  Litecoin might go higher if it gets more exposure on exchanges or more utility (acceptance) but it's continued appreciation of value is not at all assured.  

Mining hardware is risky, no way around that.  The biggest question isn't how fast or how cheap your equiptment will be, but when you get your hardware relative to everyone else who has ordered hardware.  

This is like if every time someone anyone in the world bought a computer that was faster than yours, your computer actually got a little slower.

Let's Talk Bitcoin! Interviews, News & Analysis released Tuesdays and Saturdays
http://www.LetsTalkBitcoin.com - Listener Mail -> adam@letstalkbitcoin.com
AntiOps

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 11:34:03 PM

@mindtomatter, I do agree to a certain degree. The problem is, the critical mass won't care about how divisible a Bitcoin in theory is IMO. Some get scared and run when decimals are used in numbers. Whole numbers are much easier to work with on a broad scale. I may be wrong though, no one really knows for sure. Its how its being pushed forward today.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4523

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 11:35:00 PM

at the moment 100Ghash earns you 1BTC a day....so thats 4BTC a day

so if the equipment arrived today you'd be earning about $500 a day, in which case you'd get back your investment in a week.

now here are the buts.....

*the difficulty in november will me MULTIPLE TIMES higher meaning you wont be earning the same income as now
*the risk that 'if it sounds too good to be true' ... it probably is
   *with that, what promises or guarantee's do you have of a refund. EG do you know their street address and directors name(s).
   *are they even in travelling distance to slap them with a wet fish if they dont forfil promise.
   *even if they are developing units, how certain can you be of the date of delivery. do they even have a working prototype, or is it all still theoretical

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Birdy

Activity: 364

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 12:12:48 AM

I have an urge to buy the harsh fast 3500 dollar miner @ 400GHz.. They claim to start shipping November. .

do I or don't I?

I have a feeling this doesn't end well, you are so eager to use your money that chances are you will throw it at something that will not give the money back.
Take your time to make an informed decision.

I'd invest in Litecoins why? Widely seen as the sister currency to Bitcoin (Gold->Silver). At under $3 per, its bound to go higher? But, how much higher is the real question.

It's not bound to go higher.
Litecoin is more speculative than Bitcoin.
acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 12:15:50 AM

... and the analogies about gold and silver totally fall apart when you acknowledge Bitcoin's divisibility invalidates the argument.  

I agree with everything you said except this bit. The divisibility of Bitcoin doesn't change how many whole bitcoins there are, and that's the key. There are four times more whole litecoins than whole bitcoins, meaning for one thing litecoins are probably in more people's hands. The number of litecoins in the world has already surpassed the number of bitcoins because they come into existence four times faster.

This is why a gold/silver comparison can be apt. If making bitcoins divisible affected their exchange value then whole bitcoins wouldn't ever have a relatively stable price as they do now. Similarly to bitcoins one can divide USD and Euros almost infinitely too (e.g. see BTC-e). This doesn't change the inflation rate of those currencies.

I do congratulate you however on coming around on the potential for select alt-coins, though, after arguing with me about it prior Wink
illpoet

Activity: 341

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 12:18:48 AM

this really comes down to what you wanna get out of bitcoins. if you are in it for purely profit/speculation, then it would be more profitable to buy the bitcoins imo.  Of course im of the belief that bitcoins will continue to rise in value over the next few years. But, if you are just getting into bitcoins and love the concept and all that good stuff, go ahead and buy the miner. Mining bitcoins is fun! and at least in my experience with asics (block eruptors) asic mining is really really easy compared to gpu mining.  Its really satisfying to check your pool and getting excited when the difficulty dips (not that that has happened lately, but when it does its exciting!) also, if you believe that btc will get more valuable over time and you feel you will still be mining in say 2 years from now, then in the big picture you will make money.  Also litecoins are cool and wouldn't be a bad idea to buy a small amount for speculation.  im not familiar with the company you are talking about, before you lay down any money i'd recommend vetting them a bit, search this forum for threads about them. Im still waiting on my bfl jalapeno, and by the time i get it it will be very little hashing power. thank god i didn't trust bfl and spent the bulk of my mining investment money on gpu's which have more than paid for themselves.  Even asic mining is work though, you will have to watch them a good bit for things like your software crashing, internet dropping, and occasionally restarting them. its not too bad really, and a cakewalk compared to the tempermental bitches known as radeon gpus.

Tym's Get Rich Slow scheme: plse send .00001 to
btc: 1DKRaNUnMQkeby6Dk1d8e6fRczSrTEhd8p ltc: LV4Udu7x9aLs28MoMCzsvVGKJbSmrHESnt
thank you.
DaFool

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 12:25:48 AM

And do you really think the hardware producers just hand you over a devide that spits out $500/ day for a few thousand? No, they will keep it until it only makes a small profit / small loss or just ship when the mining hardware is virtually useless.

I dont ever hear someone say that they made a big profit investing into asic mining hardware. I only hear complaints about companys not shipping (in time). The only people that really turned a good profit mining were the early adopters using gpu / fpga hardware I think.

If you are not sure what to do with your money you might just want to keep it until a better investment opportunity comes by?

http://btcinvest.net/bitcoin-mining-profit-calculator.php - check it out! ✓ next difficulty + time left ✓ customizable monthly (diff + USD/BTC) increasements ✓ device lead time ✓ update: auto-compares device costs to BTC-buy profit ♥ 1btciBCKb59TbzNj5QzC2EXWDARxtJL1f
BTC: 19jQ4w1iNNGzc4qfHtrTfJZjMeqntBAXmg
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2013, 01:28:43 AM

do I or don't I?

Do it!

what the worst that could happen

bitcoin goes to 0 and difficulty keeps increasing at an alarming rate  Cheesy   ... phhh who cares! we're making money!

Kouye

Activity: 336

Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 01:38:58 AM

If you want any of this taking off, you'll need to take part in the mining effort.
Don't expect becoming filthy rich in doing so. It might even cost you personnaly. But you help making the network more resilient, and thus help the crypto currencies being safe.
If you let the rich people get richer while owning all the mining power, you just got back to square 1.

TL;DR
Contribute to mining. Just a little.

[OVER] RIDDLES 2nd edition --- this was claimed. Look out for 3rd edition!
I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.
jjiimm_64
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 10:41:42 AM

so if the equipment arrived today you'd be earning about $500 a day, in which case you'd get back your investment in a week.

*the difficulty in november will me MULTIPLE TIMES higher meaning you wont be earning the same income as now
   *with that, what promises or guarantee's do you have of a refund. EG do you know their street address and directors name(s).
   *are they even in travelling distance to slap them with a wet fish if they dont forfil promise.
   *even if they are developing units, how certain can you be of the date of delivery. do they even have a working prototype, or is it all still theoretical

100Gh gets you .44 btc per day, and for about the next 10 days  ( 2 days ago it was .58 day, you should find a different calc).

my spreadsheet is estimating that by mid november, the diff will be approx 250M. at which time 400Gh will earn about .7btc per day.

400G delivered by mid Nov might make you about 30btc....then you also have to consider elec...  500Gh of 65nm chips costs me about 7 dollars day.

1jimbitm6hAKTjKX4qurCNQubbnk2YsFw
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2013, 12:47:55 PM

do I or don't I?

i would buy 1/3 bitcoins (gold) and 2/3 litecoins (silver) and no miner, if you are not a professional hardware geek.

maybe you dont get the miner in november 2014...

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 01:21:32 PM

Step 1: Convert fiat to Bitcoin
Step 2: Celebrate as your money deflates/no longer inflates

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4523

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 12:59:39 AM

100Gh gets you .44 btc per day, and for about the next 10 days  ( 2 days ago it was .58 day, you should find a different calc).

my spreadsheet is estimating that by mid november, the diff will be approx 250M. at which time 400Gh will earn about .7btc per day.

400G delivered by mid Nov might make you about 30btc....then you also have to consider elec...  500Gh of 65nm chips costs me about 7 dollars day.

well i have an avalon and at 80Ghash average im earning roughly 0.8BTC.. so doing the maths 100Ghash would get me 1BTC today...im not sure what your doing wrong or what pool your on, but you seem to be missing out on some profit

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Hfleer

Activity: 448

Changing avatars is currently not possible.

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 01:42:50 AM

do I or don't I?

That's gross. j/k 
Don't see any info about that miner.  Are you just helping them advertise?  Well if not, what I would do is calculate the potential profit and make sure to factor in what you believe the difficulty will continually increase by.

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
EzCheese

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 01:50:30 AM

I thought that nasty urge was going to be more cowbell.  :/   
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: