Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:15:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: So can i just Swap out wallet.dat files?  (Read 2842 times)
Quantus (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 883
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 05:26:56 PM

Say my computer just bursts into flames and melts into a pool of black goo and scorched metal.

Now I have a saved copy of the Wallet.dat file in a Turecrpt 256bit-27 digit password protected file saved on my Dropbox account.

Assuming the back up is resent can I just download bitcoin onto another computer and replace the wallet.dat file and I"m good?

(I am a 1MB block supporter who thinks all users should be using Full-Node clients)
Avoid the XT shills, they only want to destroy bitcoin, their hubris and greed will destroy us.
Know your adversary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kinlo

Activity: 263
Merit: 250

Pool operator of Triplemining.com

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 05:33:28 PM

Say my computer just bursts into flames and melts into a pool of black goo and scorched metal.

Now I have a saved copy of the Wallet.dat file in a Turecrpt 256bit-27 digit password protected file saved on my Dropbox account.

Assuming the back up is resent can I just download bitcoin onto another computer and replace the wallet.dat file and I"m good?

Close.

2 things you need to remember:

- Your wallet.dat get's updated every time you create a new address.  Make sure you backup the latest version, so you have all latest keys.  But if you have a backup from one day old: don't worry, bitcoin pre-creates keys so your backups are still valid for some times

- You will need to start bitcoin with the rescan option so it will "find" the money again when you're using a different wallet.
Quantus (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 05:42:58 PM

I don't see that option Sad

(I am a 1MB block supporter who thinks all users should be using Full-Node clients)
Avoid the XT shills, they only want to destroy bitcoin, their hubris and greed will destroy us.
Yuusha

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 05:44:06 PM

Create a shortcut to bitcoin.exe, right click, properties, add -rescan to the target.
Quantus (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 05:47:03 PM

like this?
C:\Program Files (x86)\Bitcoin\bitcoin.exe -rescan
space or no space?

Yuusha

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 05:49:44 PM

Yeah, that's right. That should work just fine.
Smalleyster

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

I yam what I yam. - Popeye

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2011, 05:52:36 PM

Create a shortcut to bitcoin.exe, right click, properties, add -rescan to the target.

"Create a shortcut to xxx.exe"

How does one do this in Linux?

TIA

Feel like investing in a Miner?:
http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=30044.msg377773#msg377773
A soup to nuts newbee system for a secure, portable USB wallet (free instructions):
NoobHowTo: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=27088.msg341387#msg341387
Yuusha

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 05:53:49 PM

TIA
Run the Bitcoin client the way you usually do, but add -rescan to the end of the command. I think.
kinlo

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 05:54:26 PM

if you're on linux, just open your terminal and type bitcoin -rescan to start the application.

Do note that you only have to do this once after changing wallet.dat, no need to start it this way every time.

Doing a rescan will re-process all blocks, so it does take quite some time....
Dargo
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 06:02:00 PM

My understanding is that you only need to backup your wallet.dat file after you make payments out from the public key (100 payments assuming you have 100 private keys initially when your public key is generated). But you can receive as many payments as you like to your public key without any need update wallet.dat. Is this correct, or am I confused?
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2011, 06:07:24 PM

My understanding is that you only need to backup your wallet.dat file after you make payments out from the public key (100 payments assuming you have 100 private keys initially when your public key is generated). But you can receive as many payments as you like to your public key without any need update wallet.dat. Is this correct, or am I confused?
Yes, that's correct. Nothing really happens when you receive a payment, your client just notices the payment in the block chain and updates the displayed total.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
Smalleyster

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2011, 06:13:08 PM

if you're on linux, just open your terminal and type bitcoin -rescan to start the application.

Do note that you only have to do this once after changing wallet.dat, no need to start it this way every time.

I don't want to open a terminal or type.

I am looking for a way to have an icon on the desktop that I can just click.

That is easy in windows, but I have not yet found a way in Linux.

A soup to nuts newbee system for a secure, portable USB wallet (free instructions):
kinlo

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 06:17:45 PM

Well, you need to backup your wallet.dat when you start using new private keys.

Every wallet.dat has 100 bitcoin addresses in them.  Every bitcoin adres has one private key, one public key, and one address.  Everytime you use a new adres, it takes one out of a pool of pre-made addresses, and adds a new address in the pool.  So a backup of yesterday still contains all adresses which I use today if I stay under the 100 already pre-allocated.   Basicly backup your wallet.dat regularly, but don't worry if it is a bit too old.

Bitcoin addresses are created and used in 4 cases:

- When you go to your address book and you create a new address for receiving bitcoins.
- When you are receiving bitcoins on the selected address, the gui just creates a new address so you don't have to click the new address button
- When sending bitcoins (*) for internal reasons
- When mining a new block (but unless you're running a pool, chances of mining a new block are slim to zero) (*)

(*) = These addresses ARE generated and are stored in your wallet.dat, BUT YOU DO NOT SEE THEM, not even in the address book!
kinlo

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 06:19:12 PM

You don't want a icon on your desktop.  Re-scanning your wallet is a very  resource consuming action and has no benefits at all, UNLESS you've just replaced your wallet.dat.  You do NOT want to accidentally start your bitcoin client in rescan mode...
Smalleyster

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2011, 06:43:02 PM

You don't want a icon on your desktop.  Re-scanning your wallet is a very  resource consuming action and has no benefits at all, UNLESS you've just replaced your wallet.dat.  You do NOT want to accidentally start your bitcoin client in rescan mode...

Yes I do, and I *fully* understand the implications.

Than you

Yuusha

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 06:47:32 PM

Yes I do, and I *fully* understand the implications.

Than you
Create a file, name it bitcoin.sh (or *anything*.sh), open it in a text editor, type in:

Code:
bitcoin -rescan

Save the file, place it wherever you want, run it.
The00Dustin

Activity: 807
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 06:49:34 PM

TIA
What distro?  What desktop manager?  I probably won't be able to help you from those answers, but it should make it more possible for someone to (or for you to figure it out by searching, or maybe asking at linuxquestions.org).  I had a Fedora 8 box with Gnome and had 4 shortcuts on the desktop to use realvnc to connect to various machines.  These shortcuts certainly had multiple parameters, so it is possible, and probably simple, I just don't remember how because it was a long time ago.

OR do what Yuusha said.  You might have to chmod +x it first, though.
Yuusha

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 06:59:10 PM

OR do what Yuusha said.  You might have to chmod +x it first, though.
Yeah, forgot that. Right clicking and then going to permissions and making the file executable should be enough, though, if your OS supports this. Ubuntu does, for example.
Smalleyster

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2011, 10:04:48 PM

Thanks guys!

The *.sh and chmod were the essentials I had completely forgotten.

Was a DOS guy with a smattering of Unix, but that was well into last century. 8^)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: