Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 01:54:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Egifter.com stole my credit card number  (Read 184 times)
joae1975 (OP)

Activity: 752
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 04:37:24 AM

I've used egifter.com in the past with crypto, no problem.  But last weekend, I tried to buy a gift card using my credit card.  Two days later, my account was compromised with 4 fraudulent charges.  I caught it super early and credit card company had my back.  Nothing lost.  One interesting thing about this case.  A package was enroute to the fraudsters.  I organized my local police and the police in that area to operate a sting on the package.  Good thing for the thieves though, the merchant recalled the package through fedex (at my request) so I actually saved them.  I should have let the package go through.  That would have been interesting.

So moral of the story....

Don't use egifter!!!

1PewuG8KZJUPK3CtvAkAs1Uw42rQgUv5Jk
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
teddy5145

Activity: 714
Merit: 528

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 05:12:24 AM

Are you sure your number were stolen by egifter and not skimming machine installed on ATMs or any other online activities ?
Egifters has a hit and miss reviews on the internet, some happy with it and others were not so happy with it, but I wouldn't exactly call them a scam based on those reviews alone.

Where is the package enroute to, is it egifters building / office ?
For now you might want to get a new card from your bank, just for safety
joae1975 (OP)

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 06:06:39 AM

Are you sure your number were stolen by egifter and not skimming machine installed on ATMs or any other online activities ?
Egifters has a hit and miss reviews on the internet, some happy with it and others were not so happy with it, but I wouldn't exactly call them a scam based on those reviews alone.

Where is the package enroute to, is it egifters building / office ?
For now you might want to get a new card from your bank, just for safety
I did that.  It’s hard to explain how I know, but I know. 

audaciousbeing

Activity: 1330
Merit: 569

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 07:17:51 PM

I've used egifter.com in the past with crypto, no problem.  But last weekend, I tried to buy a gift card using my credit card.  Two days later, my account was compromised with 4 fraudulent charges.  I caught it super early and credit card company had my back.  Nothing lost.  One interesting thing about this case.  A package was enroute to the fraudsters.  I organized my local police and the police in that area to operate a sting on the package.  Good thing for the thieves though, the merchant recalled the package through fedex (at my request) so I actually saved them.  I should have let the package go through.  That would have been interesting.

Don't use egifter!!!
Before you conclude that the compromise came from them, have you thought through about the possibility that you might have been one way or the other be responsible for the vulnerability? The reason is that you have been using this services before without any issue why now? Another is if they are really stealing your funds, then they would have not targeted you alone which means other people would have been victims as well which we are yet to see anyone coming forward. Try maybe you will find others in the same scenario.

Again, have you tried contacting the support of this service provider on the issue that happened when you used their services last and from their response, you it could either help you in reaching a conclusion about them being responsible or they are only trying to cover their tracks.
joae1975 (OP)

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 04:13:58 AM

Don't use egifter!!!
Before you conclude that the compromise came from them, have you thought through about the possibility that you might have been one way or the other be responsible for the vulnerability? The reason is that you have been using this services before without any issue why now? Another is if they are really stealing your funds, then they would have not targeted you alone which means other people would have been victims as well which we are yet to see anyone coming forward. Try maybe you will find others in the same scenario.

Again, have you tried contacting the support of this service provider on the issue that happened when you used their services last and from their response, you it could either help you in reaching a conclusion about them being responsible or they are only trying to cover their tracks.
I've used bitcoin in past, never a credit card.  When I entered my credit card, the transaction froze and I had 2 pending $1 charges on my card.  Probably because I tried to enter it twice.  Then 2 days later, this happens.  The other places I used my card were regular purchases, nothing else out of the ordinary.  I did purchase something on costco.com, but I highly doubt that was it.  I did contact support, of course they deny everything.  But someone inside their business is skimming credit cards.  There's no other way to explain it.  They used my new phone number on one of the purchases.  This is a brand new number.  There is absolutely no way this was from another merchant.  I'm not asking for any resolution or redress to my issue.  I'm just warning everyone not to use them.  Their business model is a bit sketchy to say the least.  They give out free money to those who purchase gift cards.  How do they acquire these cards and where's the extra money coming from?  A simple google search of "egifter scam" reveals plenty of complaints exposing them as an organized crime front.  I'm just figuring this out the hard way.

BillCoin

Activity: 476
Merit: 259

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 07:44:51 AM

Don't use egifter!!!

I've used bitcoin in past, never a credit card.  When I entered my credit card, the transaction froze and I had 2 pending $1 charges on my card.  Probably because I tried to enter it twice.  Then 2 days later, this happens.  The other places I used my card were regular purchases, nothing else out of the ordinary.  I did purchase something on costco.com, but I highly doubt that was it.  I did contact support, of course they deny everything.  But someone inside their business is skimming credit cards.  There's no other way to explain it.  They used my new phone number on one of the purchases.  This is a brand new number.  There is absolutely no way this was from another merchant.  I'm not asking for any resolution or redress to my issue.  I'm just warning everyone not to use them.  Their business model is a bit sketchy to say the least.  They give out free money to those who purchase gift cards.  How do they acquire these cards and where's the extra money coming from?  A simple google search of "egifter scam" reveals plenty of complaints exposing them as an organized crime front.  I'm just figuring this out the hard way.

The fact that you bought in eGifter when your card got comprised doesn't mean that eGifter are those that hacked your credit card.
It is possible that you have a virus in your computer or a trojan horse that was waiting for you to enter a payment method so he can steal, I would suggest you to make a scan and let us know the result.
I purchased at eGifter several times with my credit card and never had such a problem, also talked with their support few times and they seem to be okay, I don't believe that a company would steal your credit card as they simply have no reason to do that, they handle hundreds of credit cards daily.
Luckily the credit cards provide insurance and you received your funds back, I am glad to see that all went good at the end.
vintages

Activity: 966
Merit: 153

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 06:57:50 PM

Exactly what the writers above said, I don't  think its Egifter that stole your credit card because I have used them before but had no issues after that. Probably your system was compromised or infected with virus and then your credit card details was stolen. Or maybe you even visited a website and through it your card details was stolen. You know Google most times store users card details, probably it might have been stolen through that means too.
npredtorch
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1049

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 08:47:37 PM

I'm not familiar in filing a case for fraud activity, but can't you just take a visit on the fraudster's delivery address together with your local police? then, maybe ask some questions so it can be recorded on a log or something?
(or let the police only if you don't want to). I think that's the best way for us to have an idea who's behind in these illegal orders.

Right now, there's no valid proof that it's egifter's fault or you as the owner of the card.
This topic will only have an endless discussion rotating on the possibilities that..
1. Your CC details got compromised outside Egifter
2. There's an insider on Egifter that sell/use out customers CC details
3. Egifter owner used your CC
joae1975 (OP)

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 12:01:55 AM

I have a Mac, no virus.    There’s no doubt my mind that egifert stole my info

Bitlord88

Activity: 154
Merit: 12

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 02:14:58 AM

Ohh my, fraudulent people are really very active these days as really all it takes is a click to let other people know your complete card details, and all you got for them is your trust, your trust that they hopefully won't do anything evil with the data they are holding. So just a few tips, I personally see the loopholes and security threats online transactions pose that's why I just use a debit card that I deposit money on or transfer money on Everytime I am gonna use it. Makes is almost ,90% safer as the money just comes and go. Yes having a credit card is certainly an advantage but this advantage really has its corresponding downsides. Hope it won't happen to you again. And thank you for the information, always read the reviews first then analyze if it's reputable or a bogus.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: