Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:22:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How long does the Bitcoin-QT cleint take to sync for newbies?  (Read 16057 times)
uMMcQxCWELNzkt (OP)

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 10:54:57 AM

I was wondering how long the standard Bitcoin-QT client takes to sync roughly? Lets say on a 3mb connection which is about average in global terms, if running 24/7 how long do you think it would take the user to fully sync? I am curious as I have not fired up the client in a few days and the syncing is taking ages. I wonder how long the Bitcoin-QT client must take for newbies, back when I first downloaded the client it take a few days and this was a while back. Considering most people now days don't like waiting am I right to assume that online wallets are more popular for Bitcoin users just starting out too?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2013, 11:00:31 AM

Depends on a lot of things— the software is fairly sensitive to slow or unreliable behavior from its peers. With super fast peers on a fast connection and a fast host you can sync in a couple hours.   With lossy peers, a slow host, a slow connection and some bad luck it can take several days.  There should be some major improvements in the next major release which make the worst case much more like the best case— basically from fetching blocks in parallel and not letting slow peers wedge the process.

Online wallets are very popular, a fact which concerns me greatly as they present a huge systemic risk— but the usability is hard to argue with.  There are also thin client like electrum which have a stronger security model than online wallets and are basically as easy to use.
marcovaldo

Activity: 350

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 11:00:52 AM

I downloaded it and waited a couple of weeks before I gave up.
The last blocks were much longer that the old ones, I don't know why.

But if you have a good connexion, it should take 1 or 2 days.

BITEX
            ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
                  ███     ███     ███
                    ███     ███     ███
                      ███     ███     ███
                        ███     ███     ███
                          ███     ███     ███
                            ███     ███     ███
                              ███     ███     ███
                            ███     ███     ███
                          ███     ███     ███
                        ███     ███     ███
                      ███     ███     ███
                    ███     ███     ███
                  ███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███

The First Locally-Embedded, Yet Global, Crypto-Bank
TELEGRAM    FACEBOOK   TWITTER    YOUTUBE    LINE

███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███
          ███     ███     ███
        ███     ███     ███
      ███     ███     ███
    ███     ███     ███
  ███     ███     ███
███     ███     ███
  ███     ███     ███
    ███     ███     ███
      ███     ███     ███
        ███     ███     ███
          ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
               ███     ███     ███
                 ███     ███     ███

WHITEPAPER | ANN
JOIN WHITELIST NOW!
uMMcQxCWELNzkt (OP)

Activity: 406

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 11:16:58 AM

Depends on a lot of things— the software is fairly sensitive to slow or unreliable behavior from its peers. With super fast peers on a fast connection and a fast host you can sync in a couple hours.   With lossy peers, a slow host, a slow connection and some bad luck it can take several days.  There should be some major improvements in the next major release which make the worst case much more like the best case— basically from fetching blocks in parallel and not letting slow peers wedge the process.

Online wallets are very popular, a fact which concerns me greatly as they present a huge systemic risk— but the usability is hard to argue with.  There are also thin client like electrum which have a stronger security model than online wallets and are basically as easy to use.

That was the thought I had in mind, the idea of new users just going for the convenient (less secure) option is probably not the best idea. It is good to hear that the client can be optimized further, at the moment I would have trouble convincing a non-Bitcoin user to bother downloading the QT Client, perhaps Electrum then would be a good recommendation, until QT and Armory is setup. Cheesy
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 11:31:48 AM

<semi-joke>
Blockchain downloading rate is lowered artificially to force newcomers to use centralized online services controlled by Illuminati Bitcoin Foundation someone. When most of bitcoiners start using such services, their owners will switch to FRB.
</semi-joke>
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 11:34:18 AM

With this: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=145386.0 it took a little over 24 hours to sync.

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 11:41:47 AM

With this: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=145386.0 it took a little over 24 hours to sync.

A crutch for Bitcoin? OMG!
pedrog
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 11:43:59 AM

What are you talking about?

It's a blockchain torrent...

DaFool

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 11:45:25 AM

It also depends on your internet connections download speed and on if you use your computer for other downloads in the meantime. My windows computer becomes virtually useless for other tasks while synchronizing...

http://btcinvest.net/bitcoin-mining-profit-calculator.php - check it out! ✓ next difficulty + time left ✓ customizable monthly (diff + USD/BTC) increasements ✓ device lead time ✓ update: auto-compares device costs to BTC-buy profit ♥ 1btciBCKb59TbzNj5QzC2EXWDARxtJL1f
BTC: 19jQ4w1iNNGzc4qfHtrTfJZjMeqntBAXmg
Puppet
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1040

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 11:50:40 AM

An SSD makes all the difference in the world.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 12:10:56 PM

Blockchain downloading should be embedded into the client. Oh, wait, it already is! But we still have to use 3rd party programs...
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 12:24:19 PM

Because they contain tons of transactions. Blocks from 2009/2010 have 1 transactions or so, today blocks have hundreds of them if not more

gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2013, 12:25:47 PM

It also depends on your internet connections download speed and on if you use your computer for other downloads in the meantime. My windows computer becomes virtually useless for other tasks while synchronizing...
If its synchronizing slowly because of your internet it shouldn't be adversely impacting your computer. Smiley
pedrog
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 01:27:33 PM

Blockchain downloading should be embedded into the client. Oh, wait, it already is! But we still have to use 3rd party programs...

No one has to use it, it's just faster this way...

dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 01:53:45 PM

Besides the higher number of transactions in them, they are processed slower because they are more thoroughly checked.
romerun
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1001

Bitcoin is new, makes sense to hodl.

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 02:50:54 PM

well, you'll need to download like 19G. Better start with the torrent snapshot.
T-Bone

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 06:53:29 PM

I downloaded it in ~23 hours two days ago.  Not too bad, but I have a fast internet connection.

Don't have an SSD, and the machine I downloaded it on is an older machine.
icey
Legendary

Activity: 1578
Merit: 1000

May the coin be with you..

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 07:16:57 PM

My old processor used to overheat when its gets to the last few weeks of syncing!

Takes around 12 hours now on my new processor which is just a bog standard Athlon X2
pening

Activity: 245

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 07:37:24 PM

far too long.  on a 6mb connection it was taking days, and i gave up, that was in June?  if it wasn't for Multibit i'd have abandoned Bitcoin before i'd started.

its a problem for widespread acceptance, until either the blockchain isn't required for "reference" use (ie make Multibit the reference), or safe online wallets are the norm.  the prominence of Multibit on the Bitcoin "choose wallet" page is a move in the right direction.  the blockchain is simply too big to expect ordinary people to download, taking too long and in many cases use up their entire monthly allowance. 
icey
Legendary

Activity: 1578
Merit: 1000

May the coin be with you..

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 07:41:46 PM

Forgot to say I've got a 100MB connection, which obviously helps
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: