Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 11:24:10 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin is becoming a black hole  (Read 6074 times)
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 12:55:34 PM

As u probably know, a black hole is a star with gravity that prevents light from escaping. Today I noticed a similar effect during downloading Bitcoin blockchain.  Grin

I was downloading the blockchain on a low-end computer, it had already taken a couple of weeks. Yesterday I checked the progress bar and saw "17 weeks behind". Today I connected to the computer and saw "18 weeks behind"! It seems to me that my computer downloads/verifies blocks at the rate that is lower than the rate they are mined. I believe I would outpace the generation rate but advent of ASICs made the situation worse and now I have to switch to a more powerful computer. Anyway, it's a funny situation. Smiley
pinger
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1001

Bitcoin - Resistance is futile

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2013, 12:59:38 PM

Check your AV, I had problems with avast. Just turned off for the update, and it started downloading lots faster. Maybe is your problem too?

For rent
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 01:02:49 PM

Check your AV, I had problems with avast. Just turned off for the update, and it started downloading lots faster. Maybe is your problem too?

No. There is only Windows and Bitcoin on this computer. I suspect that was a bad choice to launch full client on a netbook.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 01:04:24 PM

I believe I would outpace the generation rate but advent of ASICs made the situation worse and now I have to switch to a more powerful computer
No wonder your ignore button is orange, i understand why people put you in ignore after reading idiocies like that  Undecided

For new people: the number of transactions is why the most recent blocks takes longer to get rather than the earlier one. Teleport an ASIC back in 2010, when blocks had 1 transaction, and their weight would be the same.

Check your AV, I had problems with avast.
I have avast and i have no problems with Bitcoin Qt

Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 01:10:44 PM

I believe I would outpace the generation rate but advent of ASICs made the situation worse and now I have to switch to a more powerful computer
No wonder your ignore button is orange, i understand why people put you in ignore after reading idiocies like that  Undecided

Hehe. Personal insult is the most popular argument on this site. Sorry if I disturbed u in ur pink peaceful world, feel free to press [Ignore] button.
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 01:12:11 PM

This computer was supposed to be used as a semi-cold wallet, if it's unable to handle new blocks then it's better to use another one.
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 01:22:23 PM

No. There is only Windows and Bitcoin on this computer. I suspect that was a bad choice to launch full client on a netbook.

What version of Windows? Maybe it's slow with Win 7, but faster with Win XP.

pinger
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1001

Bitcoin - Resistance is futile

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2013, 01:24:01 PM

For new people: the number of transactions is why the most recent blocks takes longer to get rather than the earlier one. Teleport an ASIC back in 2010, when blocks had 1 transaction, and their weight would be the same.

Check your AV, I had problems with avast.
I have avast and i have no problems with Bitcoin Qt

At least with Mac version, I had problems.

For rent
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 01:26:32 PM

Oh, didn't notice this sentence.

For new people: Right now ASICs mine blocks 40% faster (7 min instead of 10), if u teleported an ASIC back in 2010 then we would spend 30% more time to download and validate the blockchain.
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 01:28:10 PM

What version of Windows? Maybe it's slow with Win 7, but faster with Win XP.

WinXP, Intel Atom 1 GHz, 1 GB RAM, not sure if HDD is 5400 or 7200 rpm.
medicine

Activity: 697
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2013, 02:40:43 PM

My 2008 macbook pro is also very slow to the point where I wouldn't download the block chain through the QT client again.  I would just go the torrent root.
I think mine took around 10 days or so.  Luckily re-indexing only takes 3 days.  Still long.

Anyone have an estimate with a 2013 macbook pro?  I may upgrade sometime in the next 6 months.
Peace
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2013, 03:23:43 PM

Is there a market for laptops preinstalled with the blockchain? Something for somebody to think about. Ironically, even with the hardware in stock, it would still take at least two weeks to take delivery.
cmg5461

Activity: 369
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 03:27:42 PM

Is there a market for laptops preinstalled with the blockchain? Something for somebody to think about. Ironically, even with the hardware in stock, it would still take at least two weeks to take delivery.

or you could anticipate and pre-load it onto the computer before they order..

If I've helped: 1CmguJhwW4sbtSMFsyaafikJ8jhYS61quz

Sold: 5850 to lepenguin. Quick, easy and trustworthy.
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 03:45:16 PM

To pre-install the blockchain is not a problem, the problem is that a computer must be powerful enough to be able to outpace freshly mined blocks (black hole effect). I see "17 weeks behind" now and curious what will see tomorrow - 16 or 18...
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 04:34:41 PM

Oh, didn't notice this sentence.

For new people: Right now ASICs mine blocks 40% faster (7 min instead of 10), if u teleported an ASIC back in 2010 then we would spend 30% more time to download and validate the blockchain.
False, the weight of a block depends on the transactions inside it. A block with 1 transactions weight only few KB. If blocks now are mined faster then each block will contain less transactions. The problem about getting the chain is the number of transactions, not of blocks

arruah
Legendary

Activity: 1357
Merit: 1004

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2013, 04:38:38 PM

use electrum

BCH
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 04:45:34 PM

False, the weight of a block depends on the transactions inside it. A block with 1 transactions weight only few KB. If blocks now are mined faster then each block will contain less transactions. The problem about getting the chain is the number of transactions, not of blocks

Well, it depends on what part of a computer system is a bottleneck - bandwidth, CPU or storage. U seem to talk about bandwidth, it's not a problem in my case.
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 04:47:14 PM

use electrum

I had a bad experience with Blockchain.Info API, so I don't trust services on the Internet. Local full client is the only option.
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 04:48:09 PM

As u probably know, a black hole is a star with gravity that prevents light from escaping. Today I noticed a similar effect during downloading Bitcoin blockchain.  Grin
It's a star that has collapsed on itself.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 04:51:52 PM

It's a star that has collapsed on itself.

Hahaha, it has reminded me "SolidCoin: Ready for BitCoin Collapse" article. That guy predicted the future!  Grin
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: