Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 10:32:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin is becoming a black hole  (Read 6074 times)
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 11:26:09 PM

Yes just use Electrium or Multibit and don't bother downloading the bloated blockchain.

Adding a 3rd party service will increase number of links in our technology chain. That's not good. I'll find a better computer, not really a big problem, just a funny one.
Is this a joke? Bitcoin Qt client is for people who wants to run a full node, not for people who wants a semi-cold wallet. Multibit or Electrum is the perfect solution for you and it is secure

I mean "to validate new blocks faster than they are mined". I do understand how Bitcoin works, unlike u, my friend. Look at this picture, it's worth a thousand words:

http://s18.postimg.org/l3xbclvqh/stats.png
But as we said tons of time, the problem is not "validating blocks" but validating the transactions. Even if the time between blocks become 1 minute, the time to validate the whole chain does not change.

ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 01:21:15 AM

I suspect in the case the problem may be the operating system, anti virus software and marketing detritus commonly found on store bought Microsoft Windows computers. I found that it took 26 hours to validate the blockchain using Bitcoin qt on the following very old laptop hardware: (This laptop by the way has a built in floppy drive and still has its Windows 2000 logo)
Processor Pentium 4M 1.8 GHz (circa 2002)
Ram 1GB
Hardrive 120 GB, 5400 RPM IDE
OS Ubuntu 10.04
It also has no problem keeping up with the blockchain.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 07:46:24 AM

I suspect in the case the problem may be the operating system, anti virus software and marketing detritus commonly found on store bought Microsoft Windows computers. I found that it took 26 hours to validate the blockchain using Bitcoin qt on the following very old laptop hardware: (This laptop by the way has a built in floppy drive and still has its Windows 2000 logo)
Ram 1GB
OS Ubuntu 10.04

After ur reply I googled "Intel Atom vs Intel Pentium" and found this - http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080925100958AAfv4VS. According to the answers Atom processor is very very slow.
DoomDumas
Legendary

Activity: 1002
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 09:45:17 AM

I believe I would outpace the generation rate but advent of ASICs made the situation worse and now I have to switch to a more powerful computer
No wonder your ignore button is orange, i understand why people put you in ignore after reading idiocies like that  Undecided

For new people: the number of transactions is why the most recent blocks takes longer to get rather than the earlier one. Teleport an ASIC back in 2010, when blocks had 1 transaction, and their weight would be the same.

Check your AV, I had problems with avast.
I have avast and i have no problems with Bitcoin Qt

Indeed; ignore is quite usefull in this forum...

Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 01:27:57 PM

Still 17 weeks behind.

Well, Bitcoin fanboys can make appearance that there is no problem, but a sane person shouldn't use low-end computers for Satoshi's client.
Multibit, Electrum and Blockchain.Info require that users trust them, so they are not an option.
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 02:06:09 PM

Use Armory on your Atom Netbook ? Offline. The online version runs on top of the Satoshi client on a more powerful computer.

T-Bone

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 02:13:33 PM

I'm not sure what's going on.

I have an older machine (Pentium 4 3.0ghz, 2GB RAM, Windows 7 though) and it took me ~23 hours to download the whole thing.  I'm running WSE as far as antivirus goes.

I have relatively fast internet though?  Huh Huh
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 02:14:48 PM

Use Armory on your Atom Netbook ? Offline. The online version runs on top of the Satoshi client on a more powerful computer.

Thx, but I'm going to use Satoshi's client on a Core 2 Duo platform.
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 02:15:27 PM

I'm not sure what's going on.

I have an older machine (Pentium 4 3.0ghz, 2GB RAM, Windows 7 though) and it took me ~23 hours to download the whole thing.  I'm running WSE as far as antivirus goes.

I have relatively fast internet though?  Huh Huh

I think the problem is a slow CPU and a slow HDD.
Reaper3

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 07:35:42 PM

Download a different wallet not main BTC

CHANGE FINANCE First Decentralised Global Crypto Bank
[color=#15B5E2 ]LINK TO ICO | LINK TO DISCUSSION
Ephebus

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 09:02:38 PM

I think the problem is a slow CPU and a slow HDD.

In case it helps... the humble PC I use to mine alt coins has an Athlon 64 X2 4000+ (2100 MHz), 6 GB DDR2 666 and a rather slow Samsung HD160JJ 160 GB SATA II HD, running Windows 7Garbage Ultimate 64 (my main PC runs the last decent OS MicroShit produced, XP 64). I just made a test - I copied my Bitcoin data directory (which I updated about a week ago) from my main PC to the mining PC and it was able to sync Bitcoin-Qt 0.8.5 without any problems - and scrypt mining at the same time.

I'm no expert on the blockchain structure, but I was wondering if maybe some parts you've already downloaded haven't become corrupted. Have you tried running Bitcoin-Qt (or bitcoind) with the -reindex and/or the -checkblocks=0 parameters? (That will take a LONG time, be warned!)

Your best bet would really be to download the whole blockchain using the current official blockchain torrent and then import it following the instructions on that thread.
jeffhuys

Activity: 252

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 09:02:57 PM

Conclusion: different wallet, different pc.

ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 12:55:07 AM

Ram 1GB
OS Ubuntu 10.04

After ur reply I googled "Intel Atom vs Intel Pentium" and found this - http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080925100958AAfv4VS. According to the answers Atom processor is very very slow.

Here is another comparison. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-atom-cpu,1947.html. Yes the atom is very very slow. I figure maybe 25% - 33% of the speed of my P4M. Under ideal circumstances I figure just under a week for the atom. By the way during the 26 hour run my P4M was very close to max cpu so cpu performance was the limiting factor.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 04:02:10 AM

I'm no expert on the blockchain structure, but I was wondering if maybe some parts you've already downloaded haven't become corrupted. Have you tried running Bitcoin-Qt (or bitcoind) with the -reindex and/or the -checkblocks=0 parameters? (That will take a LONG time, be warned!)

No, I ran the shortcut in the Start menu and left it alone.
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 04:39:31 AM

Yeah, copy over the almost update latest blockchain you have to your Atom netbook, and try checklevel 2 and checkblocks 6. See if that works and it might be able to keep up with daily updates.

VolanicEruptor

Activity: 392

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 04:48:20 AM

Its possible you have caused a slight rip in the universe, causing time to go backwards.  I would suggest taking this opportunity to watch the movie "Memento" as it will make a lot more sense now.  Good luck.

halfawake

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 05:38:12 AM

I don't know why some people have so many problems/complaints with downloading the blockchain. I recently installed Armory, and I had the whole blockchain downloaded in around 2 hours.

I assume your internet connection is just slow.

But, as others have said, your logic is fallible. 100 transactions will take the same amount of time to download whether they are in 10 blocks of 10 transactions, or 5 blocks of 20 transactions. Mining speed has nothing to do with it. Also, if you sent an ASIC back in time, the increase in hashing power would cause the Bitcoin network to increase difficulty to maintain the 10 minutes/block speed, so nothing would be different (except the one guy with the ASIC would own all the bitcoins. Ha.)

How the heck did you get the whole blockchain to download in 2 hours?  I installed Armory / bitcoin-qt months ago and it took almost three days for the blockchain to download.  Granted, my computer isn't super fast, but it's not terrible either.  Then again, this could have been something to do with the shitty internet connection I had at the time.

BTC: 13kJEpqhkW5MnQhWLvum7N5v8LbTAhzeWj
hashman
Legendary

Activity: 1264

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 10:32:38 AM

No, I ran the shortcut in the Start menu and left it alone.

I usually restart the client periodically while it is grabbing the block chain.  Seems to speed it up a bit. 
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 12:07:09 PM

Still 17 weeks behind.

Well, Bitcoin fanboys can make appearance that there is no problem, but a sane person shouldn't use low-end computers for Satoshi's client.
Multibit, Electrum and Blockchain.Info require that users trust them, so they are not an option.
False. Multibit and Electrum are open source clients, you and only you own the wallet. Same apply for blockchain.info. Seriously stop spreading FUD.
https://blockchain.info/wallet/how-it-works

Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 03:10:33 PM

Its possible you have caused a slight rip in the universe, causing time to go backwards.  I would suggest taking this opportunity to watch the movie "Memento" as it will make a lot more sense now.  Good luck.

I liked the trailer, I will definitely watch this movie, thx.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: