Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 06:49:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is a Keystore file (MEW)  (Read 112 times)
neatworld (OP)

Activity: 293
Merit: 12

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 09:27:48 AM

Hi everyone,

I am testing the process of setting up a wallet on MEW. I am using Firefox and am at the part where it says 'Save Your Keystore File' (UTC/JSON).

Because I'm a)highly tech-unsavvy and b)curious/suspicious/stubborn, I chose the "Open With" option and got a message from Adobe Acrobat saying something along the lines of "Adobe Acrobat cannot open "UTC - xxxxx" because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged..."

This is normal, right? If I understand correctly, I should not be able to open that file due to the encryption. I should just follow the very clearly written instructions by the experts, and not open this file on my computer, and just save it to a USB key.  Wink

I just want to make sure that there is no chance I will lose any tokens I transfer to MEW because I used Firefox instead of Chrome, or because the file was, indeed unsupported or damaged, and hence can't be used in the future if I need to retrieve my tokens...

Sorry if this question comes across as incredibly dumb, I have only used paper wallets or Coinbase up til now so I just wanted to double-check that I wasn't messing this one up.

By the way once this is set up, I'll be using the MEW with MetaMask option.

Thank you for any help or advice!
LtMotioN

Activity: 210
Merit: 29

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 09:33:03 AM

It is basically a file that opens your wallet. To use it you will open it via their website.
This is NOT a safe way to access it though, since it will send that file over the open internet.
I would store it offline somewhere and forget about it, just keep it as a backup.

I would recommend you use metamask to access your wallet, it is more secure. Still the best method would be to use a hardware wallet if your portfolio justifies the cost.

Your browser wont make any difference, we access wallets via private keys Smiley

Hope this answers your question.

Dogs are nice, I don't like cats though.
Avaemily

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 11:20:47 AM

Hi

There is no way to retrieve your KEYSTORE file if you lose it, so be sure to back it up.
SALAUDDIN

Activity: 28
Merit: 5

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 12:34:17 PM

Security file commonly used by (IDEs), such as Eclipse and Unity, to verify application developers; stores a set of cryptographic keys or certificates in the binary Java Key Store (JKS) format.

A KEYSTORE file is used for several security purposes. It can be used to identify the author of an Android app during a build and when publishing to Google Play or in SSL encryption.

Since a KEYSTORE file contains valuable data, the file is encrypted and protected by a password to secure the file from unauthorized parties. There is no way to retrieve your KEYSTORE file if you lose it, so be sure to back it up.

NOTE: The KEYSTORE extension is similar to the .JKS extension.

i think best ETH20 wallet myetherwallet you can use free.
Rippta23

Activity: 19

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 01:03:03 PM

Keystore or the UTC file is a tool used to access you ethereum wallet. It cannot be recovered once you delete the file.
quanahri

Activity: 252

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2018, 01:53:59 PM

Backup key when you creat account mew. If lose utc file can use key to login mew
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: