Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 02:37:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: So..what is life for asic after bitcoin?  (Read 1188 times)
tarui (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 02:23:46 PM

according to a miner profitability chart i use (works nicely for me so far)

in feb 2014, it will no longer be profitable to mine for bitcoins as power coins will outstrip any bitcoins mined. even if price of bitcoins go up, I can extend it for 1  maybe 2 mths.

right now i am considering whether should I buy watercooling blocks (custom so cost is not recoverable) and associated parts (which i can sell/re-use to recover part of costs) or host it at a co-location and dont go for watercooling (remain on stock cooling)

based on the best offers I have on hand, costs of hosting it for 6mths and running it at home for that long (power+watercooling+cooling costs)  are the same..

the difference is, after 6 mths, the hosting costs is recurring, it will cost me $x every month whereas if i host it at home, the watercooling parts are one-off deal.  so the monthly costs is less than $X

My question is, what can the avalon do after bitcoin is no longer profitable? what can i use to mine or sell it to someone to run sha-256 based programs?
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Bitweasil

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 02:36:00 PM

My question is, what can the avalon do after bitcoin is no longer profitable? what can i use to mine or sell it to someone to run sha-256 based programs?

1. You can mine bitcoin unprofitably.
2. You can sell it to someone who has very cheap electricity and wishes to earn a few months worth of pennies from it.
3. You can sell it to someone who has "free electricity" who wishes to heat their dorm room substantially for a few pennies.
4. You can mine SHA256 altcoins that are using the same construct as bitcoin and hope that they are more profitable, along with everyone else who has a SHA256 ASIC.
5. You can sell it on eBay or Craigslist and hope someone who hasn't done the math buys it (greater fool theory in action).
6. You can scrap out the aluminum in the chassis, and hang the boards on the wall for art.

Need high quality, rack mountable GPU clusters for OpenCL work or password auditing?  http://www.stricture-group.com/
cbhelp

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 02:39:52 PM

Asics sounded like a good idea at first, not so much now. Kinda like chasing good money after bad....
desired_username

Activity: 879
Merit: 1013

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 02:41:52 PM

Asics sounded like a good idea at first, not so much now. Kinda like chasing good money after bad....

It is because you probably didn't experience the CPU to GPU transition. It wasn't really different. The GPU profitability decline was quite similar + add wilder fluctuation in price.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: