Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 07:17:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help with electricty  (Read 193 times)
MiningBaby (OP)

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 12:45:00 PM

So I have:

3 phase entrance

240v lines

125amp panel with some 20 amp breakers going to some plugs

Avalons 741s

15 amp 1600w power supply(Sorcerer's, from Canaan)

7.8 amp 1400w server PSU

When I set up a 741 using the sorcerer PSU, each line is reading around 6.3 amps(13 amps total), so pretty much in line with what you would expect from a 15amp PSU.

When I set up a 741 using the server PSU and a breakout board(x7's from parallel) each line is reading close to 7 amps(14 amps total), meaning my server PSU which is rated at 7.8 amps @ 240v is pulling well above what is should be.

What could be the issue with these? Is it possible there is an error with the actual wiring? Or is it more likely that there is a mistake with the labeling of the server PSUs and they are rated closer to 15amps @240v? Pulling my hair out trying to figure out what the issue is. Was expecting to double the number of Avalons im running by putting in these server PSUs which were suppose to draw 1/2 the amps of the Canaan ones. But they are actually drawing more and I feel like I'm going backwards. My electrician says the problem is the server PSUs must be labelled wrong. Just trying to get second, 3rd, 4th opinions on what is likely to be the issue.

Appreciate any and all thoughts
Thank you.

HagssFIN
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1706

Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2018, 02:48:40 PM

What are the hash rates in these two different situations?

Sorcerer PSU, hash rate = ?

1400W server PSU, hash rate = ?

Either your AvalonMiner 741 was performing better with a higher hash rate when powered with the 1400W server power supply, or the server power supply has a lot worse power efficiency ratio than the Sorcerer PSU.

ccgllc
Copper Member

Activity: 658
Merit: 101

Math doesn't care what you believe.

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 04:19:09 PM

I'm going to guess its the difference in power supply efficiencies.  7 vs. 6.3 is only 11%, well within the range of that.

Mined for a living since 2017.  Dabbled for years before that.
Linux admin since 0.96 kernel and Slackware distributions on (4) floppies...
MiningBaby (OP)

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 05:15:44 PM

I'm going to guess its the difference in power supply efficiencies.  7 vs. 6.3 is only 11%, well within the range of that.

There are 2 hot lines for a 240v circuit. So a PSU rated at 7.8 amps @240v should be showing 3.7 or so on each line, not 7. The 6.3 seems correct for a PSU rated at 15 amps.
BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3290
Merit: 3022

BTC price road to $80k

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2018, 09:43:05 PM

There are 2 hot lines for a 240v circuit. So a PSU rated at 7.8 amps @240v should be showing 3.7 or so on each line, not 7. The 6.3 seems correct for a PSU rated at 15 amps.

Looks like your psu has low voltage output that is why its only showing 3.7 amps instead of 7. Looks like the server psu is not compatible or the server psu you bought is only for gpu mining..
Maybe there is different voltage output or efficiency of the server psu is low.
I suggest you to use psu that recommends by canaan which is sorcerer psu v1 or v2

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████