Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 09:17:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: When will WO be enabled again?  (Read 235 times)
Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 06:20:14 PM

Code:
You cannot access Who's Online right now because it is disabled.
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 4110

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 10:09:12 PM

I wouldn't bank on that being available anytime soon. These sort of stats had unnecessary strain on the forum and were presumably targeted when the forum has been DDOSED, and we'll likely only see the most important stats coming back. Can't you just check each profile individually to find out who's online?  
Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 10:35:35 PM

I wouldn't bank on that being available anytime soon. These sort of stats had unnecessary strain on the forum and were presumably targeted when the forum has been DDOSED, and we'll likely only see the most important stats coming back. Can't you just check each profile individually to find out who's online?  

Yes, but for a sleuth, such provided so much more info. Same true for a handful of others aspect no longer available for us sleuths. Sad!
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12983

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 01:09:36 AM

It turns out that it was quite expensive to maintain that data, and people have complained about it previously as a privacy concern, so it's likely to stay disabled for a long time, at least.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 01:58:42 AM

It turns out that it was quite expensive to maintain that data, and people have complained about it previously as a privacy concern, so it's likely to stay disabled for a long time, at least.

Yeah, that makes perfect sense. I can now easily see how the WO page would be a security risk cuz it depicted what thread a user was viewing at any given time over the course of the prior ~20 minutes. Also, I can see how that would be expensive to maintain that data, especially when say 100K users view said page to glean said info expressed, whereas a page like https://bitcointalk.org/seclog.php poses 0 risks for users with nobody complaining and isn't that expensive to maintain because nobody really visits said page because all they'll be able to glean is the likes of ...

Yep, I, among others, can now clearly see how Who's Online depicting ... wait for it ... who's online for the past ~20 minutes would be a security risk for users cuz it doesn't have the word security in its title, but the page entitled Security Logs depicting sensitive data over the course of the past ~30 days isn't a security risk to users because it has the word security in its title.

/s
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 10240

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 11:42:40 PM

Was it the same kind of thinking that caused the disabling of the ability to scan through a list of all members?

Now, we have to look up members one by one, we cannot just scan through a list of everyone to see user name, rank, relative number of posts, registration date and similar general information.

1) Self-Custody is a right.  There is no such thing as "non-custodial" or "un-hosted."  2) ESG, KYC & AML are attack-vectors on Bitcoin to be avoided or minimized.  3) How much alt (shit)coin diversification is necessary? if you are into Bitcoin, then 0%......if you cannot control your gambling, then perhaps limit your alt(shit)coin exposure to less than 10% of your bitcoin size...Put BTC here: bc1q49wt0ddnj07wzzp6z7affw9ven7fztyhevqu9k
Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 12:09:19 AM

Was it the same kind of thinking that caused the disabling of the ability to scan through a list of all members?

Now, we have to look up members one by one, we cannot just scan through a list of everyone to see user name, rank, relative number of posts, registration date and similar general information.

Dude, just drop it! If theymos says it's too expensive to maintain, then it's too expensive to maintain. Why don't you just go and comment on the tens of thousands of posts pertaining to the Merit thingy and user alia, of which are not too expensive to maintain such data.  Tongue Tongue Tongue
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 10240

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 01:46:04 AM

Dude, just drop it! If theymos says it's too expensive to maintain, then it's too expensive to maintain. Why don't you just go and comment on the tens of thousands of posts pertaining to the Merit thingy and user alia, of which are not too expensive to maintain such data.  Tongue Tongue Tongue

So dude.. .are you asserting that who's online and display of all members in the search for members is the same feature?  That was my question.

Regarding your assessment and seeming recommendation of how I should spend my forum posting time... whoaza!!!! I did not realize that you had so much pent up emotion about such a topic..  Roll Eyes    Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy  

In your utmost wisdom regarding my productive use of forum time, is there any specific other post that you believe to be moar deserving of my undivided attention, rather than this one?

1) Self-Custody is a right.  There is no such thing as "non-custodial" or "un-hosted."  2) ESG, KYC & AML are attack-vectors on Bitcoin to be avoided or minimized.  3) How much alt (shit)coin diversification is necessary? if you are into Bitcoin, then 0%......if you cannot control your gambling, then perhaps limit your alt(shit)coin exposure to less than 10% of your bitcoin size...Put BTC here: bc1q49wt0ddnj07wzzp6z7affw9ven7fztyhevqu9k
Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 03:05:58 AM

Dude, just drop it! If theymos says it's too expensive to maintain, then it's too expensive to maintain. Why don't you just go and comment on the tens of thousands of posts pertaining to the Merit thingy and user alia, of which are not too expensive to maintain such data.  Tongue Tongue Tongue

So dude.. .are you asserting that who's online and display of all members in the search for members is the same feature?  That was my question.

Regarding your assessment and seeming recommendation of how I should spend my forum posting time... whoaza!!!! I did not realize that you had so much pent up emotion about such a topic..  Roll Eyes    Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy  

In your utmost wisdom regarding my productive use of forum time, is there any specific other post that you believe to be moar deserving of my undivided attention, rather than this one?

Yes. May I also suggest the various nullius "The Merit Hog" threads.  Tongue Tongue Tongue
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: