Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 11:45:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Drivers help?  (Read 946 times)
T-Bone (OP)

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 05:37:01 PM

So I got some Block Erupter USB sticks for free from a friend.  (They work, he's just going overseas and only had a few to play around with). 

I have an older Windows PC (has Windows 7 on it).  I was following some directions to get it set up to mine (I realize that i'm barely going to mine anything, I only have 4 of the block erupters but I didn't pay anything for them so anything I can get is a great ROI.)

I went through and went to install the drivers here: http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/Pages/USBtoUARTBridgeVCPDrivers.aspx

But when I download and click the .exe file, I get an error that says: "The device driver installation wizard was unable to find any drivers designed for your machine. Check with the vendor or your site administrator to ensure you have the correct program."

Any advice on what I can do?

Thanks!
shadizzle

Activity: 56

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 05:48:41 PM

Are your USB erupters showing up in device manager?  Should be showing as unknown device, that would be first thing to check. 

-How are these erupters wired to your system?
T-Bone (OP)

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 05:57:45 PM

Are your USB erupters showing up in device manager?  Should be showing as unknown device, that would be first thing to check. 

-How are these erupters wired to your system?

Yes, when I plug them in they show up in the unknown device area under Devices. 

And currently, I only plugged in 1 of them directly into a USB port on the front of the computer, I bought a powered USB hub (http://www.amazon.com/Release-Anker%C2%AE-Uspeed-Charging-Adapter/dp/B005NGQWL2/ref=sr_1_29?ie=UTF8&qid=1379267814&sr=8-29&keywords=usb+hub) that is on it's way to me, once I get it, I'll plug all four into it along with a USB powered fan to keep air moving.

shadizzle

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 06:16:28 PM

Which USB port?  There have been issues in the past where certain USB3.0 ports actually are the issue.  Try a standard 2.0 port and run your driver install again (assuming you haven't already).

I had a similar issue at first myself- turned out being the usb3.0 chipset itself (first gen not integrated to the PCH yet).

If you do have this installed in a 2.0 port... where did you get these erupters?

T-Bone (OP)

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 08:52:52 PM

Which USB port?  There have been issues in the past where certain USB3.0 ports actually are the issue.  Try a standard 2.0 port and run your driver install again (assuming you haven't already).

I had a similar issue at first myself- turned out being the usb3.0 chipset itself (first gen not integrated to the PCH yet).

If you do have this installed in a 2.0 port... where did you get these erupters?

The front, the machine I'm using doesn't have any USB 3.0. 

All of the instructions I can find online say to install the drivers before you actually plug them in, that's why I'm so confused.  I feel as though it might be something with the machine that I'm using? 
shadizzle

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 09:16:11 PM

Which driver version did you download the v6.6.1 right? Unzipped ok? (only one for win7)

Are all chipsets and other I/O drivers up to date for your system itself?

What version of win 7 are you running, home/pro, 32 or 64 bit- normal installation?

Sorry for all the questions, but other than maybe have downloaded the v6.3, these drivers should install just fine. Its strange you are getting this error.  Is the system memory in good shape?

What is your system spec?
T-Bone (OP)

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 09:38:06 PM

Which driver version did you download the v6.6.1 right? Unzipped ok? (only one for win7)

Are all chipsets and other I/O drivers up to date for your system itself?

What version of win 7 are you running, home/pro, 32 or 64 bit- normal installation?

Sorry for all the questions, but other than maybe have downloaded the v6.3, these drivers should install just fine. Its strange you are getting this error.  Is the system memory in good shape?

What is your system spec?

Thank you very much for all your help.  It's obvious I'm a newbie...I'm running a 32-bit version of Windows 7 and I was trying to install a 64-bit version of the drivers.  I found the right drivers and now the system is assigning the erupters COM ports!

I really appreciate you taking the time to help me troubleshoot!
shadizzle

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 09:43:46 PM

I was getting that feeling Smiley

No worries, I fought with them a good day myself- thats how ya learn, and thats why we're here.
T-Bone (OP)

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 09:52:47 PM
Last edit: September 15, 2013, 10:02:59 PM by T-Bone

I was getting that feeling Smiley

No worries, I fought with them a good day myself- thats how ya learn, and thats why we're here.

Haha one more question.  I signed up on BTCGuild and am using bfgminer to mine, because i just followed the instructions on their support page.  

...is there a way to tell if they are working?  Every couple seconds one or  two of them blink green, and the command prompt box is doing stuff, I was just trying to make sure they are working ha!

Ha...if i had any bitcoins I would tip you! (you can do that here right? everyone on reddit in /r/bitcoin tips?)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: