Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 08:38:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What happens after the last coin is mined?  (Read 4739 times)
OldGeek (OP)

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

Blitz:The price affects the perception of the news

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 07:39:18 PM

I realize that asking folks to peer into the murky future is inviting a lot of wild speculation.  However, speculation about future event possibilities can sometimes spark innovative ideas.  At the risk of drowning in a sea of ridicule, I ask these questions:

1.   What will all of the monster hashing machines do after the last coin is mined?
2.   What will the peer-to-peer network be doing?
3.   What are the large holders going to do with their massive collections of BTC?

Looking forward to some interesting ideas.

/Frank

Be Safe   Be Free   Be Informed    Be Alert
Support safety, freedom, information, and awareness.  All four accept donations of Bitcoin.
cryptocyprus

Activity: 686

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 07:50:39 PM

I realize that asking folks to peer into the murky future is inviting a lot of wild speculation.  However, speculation about future event possibilities can sometimes spark innovative ideas.  At the risk of drowning in a sea of ridicule, I ask these questions:

1.   What will all of the monster hashing machines do after the last coin is mined?
3.   What are the large holders going to do with their massive collections of BTC?

/Frank

By this time there will be sufficient transaction volumes to provide miners with a greater income derived from mining fees over new block rewards.

By 2140 when the last of the 21 million are mined, the entire 21 million will be distributed amongst millions of people (only if mass adoption occurs).

Minter                       ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                  ▄▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄▄
               ▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄
            ,▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄
          ,▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄
         ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
        ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
       ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    █▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
      █▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
      ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▓▓▄   ▀▓▀   ▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
     ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▄     ▄▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
     ╟▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▄ ▄▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
     ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
      ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
      ║▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
       ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
         ╙▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
           ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
             ▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
                ▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▀
                     ▀▀██▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██▀▀
||

╓▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒
▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▀▀▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌        ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▀╜        ╙▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                      ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌                       ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                        ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▓▓▓▓▓▌         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌         ▓▓▓▓▓          ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓⌐         ▓▓▓▓▓         ╣▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▀█▀▀^         ╫▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌                      ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                     ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                 #▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
 ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
 ╙▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
WALLET

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█

▄█████▄   ▄▄
▐█▄           ▄███████████▀
████▄▄       ▐█████████████▀
████████▄▄   ▐████████████
 ████████████████████████▌
▐████████████████████████
 ▀███████████████████████
   ▀████████████████████
   ████████████████████
    ▀█████████████████
      ▄█████████████▀
▄▄▄▄█████████████▀
  ▀▀█████████▀▀
Realpra

Activity: 815
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 07:52:02 PM

/Frank

Nothing will change in short. There will be less mining though and Bitcoin will be supported only with tx fees, however BTC will continue to function and be used.
The mining machines will still be useful for getting these fees and securing the network however. Mining will likely be very professional and centralized by then.

Cheap and sexy Bitcoin card/hardware wallet, buy here:
http://BlochsTech.com
OldGeek (OP)

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 08:15:19 PM

By 2140 when the last of the 21 million are mined, the entire 21 million will be distributed amongst millions of people (only if mass adoption occurs).

If you believe that the Pareto principle will apply to bitcoin, then 80% of the total 21 millions will be controlled by 20% of all holders.  That leaves open the question of what this 20% intend to do with their holdings.

Nothing will change in short. There will be less mining though and Bitcoin will be supported only with tx fees, however BTC will continue to function and be used.
The mining machines will still be useful for getting these fees and securing the network however. Mining will likely be very professional and centralized by then.

The supposition that transaction fees will be a substantial inducement to continue running hashing machines is interesting.  There seems to be an assumption that there will be a sufficient number of transactions to support the system.  I don’t have a clue about the basis of these assumptions, so please educate me.

/Frank

Support safety, freedom, information, and awareness.  All four accept donations of Bitcoin.
Jace

Activity: 288
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 09:03:34 PM

The last coin will never be mined (see also).

But even if it would, mining would still continue as normal, as new blocks would still be mined. They just wouldn't generate any new bitcoins, but it will remain profitable for people to keep mining nonetheless, for the transaction fees.
In fact, long before this last coin would be mined (which is never, but for argument's sake) the block reward (i.e. generation of new bitcoins) is already becoming insignificant compared to the transaction fees.

Same as now.

Same as now. And same as large holders of massive collections of Euros, Dollars or gold.. Live in wealth, and spend it on hookers and coke, I suppose.

Feel free to send your life savings to 1JhrfA12dBMUhcgh85wYan6HL2uLQdB6z9
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 09:06:24 PM

If you believe that the Pareto principle will apply to bitcoin, then 80% of the total 21 millions will be controlled by 20% of all holders.  That leaves open the question of what this 20% intend to do with their holdings.

The supposition that transaction fees will be a substantial inducement to continue running hashing machines is interesting.  There seems to be an assumption that there will be a sufficient number of transactions to support the system.  I don’t have a clue about the basis of these assumptions, so please educate me.

/Frank

Number of Transactions:
http://blockchain.info/charts/n-transactions?timespan=all&showDataPoints=false&daysAverageString=1&show_header=true&scale=0&address=

Transaction Fees:
http://blockchain.info/charts/transaction-fees?timespan=all&showDataPoints=false&daysAverageString=1&show_header=true&scale=0&address=

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
polrpaul

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Love the Bitcoin.

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2013, 09:07:27 PM

everyone already answered your question, but:

transactions, transactions, transactions

BTC.sx - Leveraged Bitcoin Trading. Simply use Bitcoin to take advantage of a rising or falling Bitcoin price.
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 09:09:13 PM

How about a different question. How many transactions can Bitcoin support before wrapping back to 0?

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
polrpaul

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Love the Bitcoin.

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2013, 09:15:16 PM

How about a different question. How many transactions can Bitcoin support before wrapping back to 0?

Restate question?

Besides, IDGAF.

BTC.sx - Leveraged Bitcoin Trading. Simply use Bitcoin to take advantage of a rising or falling Bitcoin price.
notme
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 09:15:23 PM

They are not indexed by integers, but by the transaction id, which has enough bits for everyone on earth to send everyone on earth 1 bitcoin 21,000,000 times.... and then do it over again 1.1252x10^50 times.

dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 09:16:47 PM

I can see this thread quickly degrading down into yet another block size one…
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 09:19:13 PM

Any speculation as to what the rules for transaction fees will look like?
Jace

Activity: 288
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 09:24:04 PM

Infinite.

Feel free to send your life savings to 1JhrfA12dBMUhcgh85wYan6HL2uLQdB6z9
OldGeek (OP)

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 09:36:25 PM

Thanks for the links.  The charts are interesting but still don't give me a basis for establishing a future of transaction fees. 

For example, suppose that most of the transactions that are happening right now are directly related to individuals using BTC to purchase mining equipment.  I don't know if this is a valid assumption but if it is then the number of transactions will decrease substantially once the demand for equipment eases.  If the number of transactions decreases will not the fees decrease?

/Frank

will1982

Activity: 122
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 09:37:18 PM

Transaction fees will support the small amount of miners
marcotheminer
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1049

┴puoʎǝq ʞool┴

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 09:38:56 PM

I think mining will stop but transactions will continue.
Not sure
OldGeek (OP)

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 09:42:58 PM

I can see this thread quickly degrading down into yet another block size one…

Oh, I hope not.  I'm really interested in the speculations.  Someone surely has more than just hope and trust.

/Frank

notme
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 10:30:02 PM

Thanks for the links.  The charts are interesting but still don't give me a basis for establishing a future of transaction fees. 

For example, suppose that most of the transactions that are happening right now are directly related to individuals using BTC to purchase mining equipment.  I don't know if this is a valid assumption but if it is then the number of transactions will decrease substantially once the demand for equipment eases.  If the number of transactions decreases will not the fees decrease?

/Frank

You can never get all the details correct.  You'll just end up stacking guesses on guesses.

However, it doesn't really matter since the stable point is where fees just barely cover expenses for miners.  The most efficient will profit slightly and the rest will lose.  The network will adjust to make sure this is how it plays out once we get past ASIC adoption.

murraypaul

Activity: 476

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 10:34:49 PM

For example, suppose that most of the transactions that are happening right now are directly related to individuals using BTC to purchase mining equipment. 

At the moment, most of the transactions are gambling.

BTC: 16TgAGdiTSsTWSsBDphebNJCFr1NT78xFW
SRC: scefi1XMhq91n3oF5FrE3HqddVvvCZP9KB
SheHadMANHands
Legendary

Activity: 1168
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 10:49:40 PM

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: