Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 05:07:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they believe that the creator of this topic displays some red flags which make them high-risk. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: GPU fans started failing, had to improvise a little  (Read 10446 times)
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 1718

View Profile
June 10, 2019, 05:48:28 AM

PLEASE READ!

It has become evident that there is clearly quality issues with the fans Gigabyte's Windforce series graphics cards. I have come across hundreds of forum posts with people claiming they have had the following issues:

- Loud fan noises
- Fans failing to spin
- Bearing failures
- Fans hitting other internal components

Upon attempting to return their faulty graphics cards to Gigabyte or their retailer in which they purchased them from, many have experienced complete denial of any issues with the fans, some have been told they were using them for GPU mining - when they weren't, and many have still experienced the same issues after the repaired or replaced graphics card has been returned to them.

In my case, I was unlucky enough to purchase 120 of these graphics cards for my IT business to sell - So far, we have had over half of these fail which has caused irreparable damage to my business as my customers who purchased the graphics cards did not want to use any Gigabyte products anymore and demanded refunds. Since returning the faulty cards to my supplier only 4 weeks after purchasing them, I was completely denied of any refund and the cards were eventually repaired and sent back to me.
Although offering a warranty repair is a better outcome than nothing, these cards have been still experiencing the same issues so they have absolutely no resale value - I mean, who would purchase a graphics card that can't even survive 4 weeks out of a 3 year warranty?

I have since engaged a lawyer and will be taking the matter further.

The reason I have started this petition is because I know that there are potentially thousands of people who have experienced this poor quality issue from Gigabyte. For Gigabyte to turn around and deny any quality issues is absolutely unacceptable. I mean, google even has an autocorrect for "gigabyte windforce fan issues".

As far as I am aware, this only involves the Windforce series graphics cards - but could involve others.

If your Gigabyte graphics card contains the word "Windforce" this could affect you!

If you have personally experienced any issues with these graphics cards - please get in contact with me

Please share!!
http://chng.it/G9phQGSN

I've dealt with the bad Gigabyte Windforce fans since the 2013 Litecoin mining days when the Radeon 7950/7970 were constantly throttling due to at least 1 fan failing. These are the ones with the triple fan setup. They said that since it has 3 fans it would run cooler, quieter and fans are more durable, completely untrue.

I would RMA them and a few months later, same issue. It was usually the fans closest to the opposite of the DVI+HDMI outputs section for some reason.

Your best bet is just to pull the blade and re-oil them monthly or as needed, and it usually gets them going again. I think the reason why they fail in mining rigs is due to being mounted vertically instead of horizontally like in a PC case, it causes more stress and they die prematurely.

Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
June 10, 2019, 07:12:08 AM

I've dealt with the bad Gigabyte Windforce fans since the 2013 Litecoin mining days when the Radeon 7950/7970 were constantly throttling due to at least 1 fan failing.

Gigabyte is the worse of them and then asus, best is sapphire, hands down.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
dragonmike

Activity: 1274
Merit: 556

View Profile
June 10, 2019, 03:30:15 PM

I've dealt with the bad Gigabyte Windforce fans since the 2013 Litecoin mining days when the Radeon 7950/7970 were constantly throttling due to at least 1 fan failing.

Well, as I said previously, and in another thread in here, I've had many ASUS cards and they've all been doing very well. The dust-repellent ball-bearing fans they put on even the low-end entry-grade GPUs are very, very good. I can really recommend them. I just sold 14 ASUS RX 570 Expedition OC's and they were spotless after mining two and a half years in my attic.
Uju4real
Copper Member

Activity: 349
Merit: 0

📱 CARTESI 📱 INFRASTRUCTURE FOR DAP

View Profile
June 10, 2019, 04:21:33 PM

I will never buy Gigabyte gpu's ... I've heard that their fans are shit ever since I've been in this game.

Gigabyte GPU fans are the worst you can ever imagine, don't even imagine it. If you want pace of mind then you go for Sapphire

██████████████  CARTESI 📱 LINUX INFRASTRUCTURE FOR SCALABLE DAPPS  ██████████████
█▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇█
arnoldrimmer

Activity: 358
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 10, 2019, 08:28:42 PM

I will never buy Gigabyte gpu's ... I've heard that their fans are shit ever since I've been in this game.

Gigabyte GPU fan doesn't work anymore and also there are so many issues associated with it and people are actually complaing but I heard Sapphire is a good one

► HackenAI ◄  ♦ HackenAI - Personal Cybersecurity Application ♦  ► HackenAI ◄
───●❀●───●❀●───●❀●───●❀●───●❀●─[   Bounty Detective   ]─●❀●───●❀●───●❀●───●❀●───●❀●───
Facebook◂ | ▸Twitter◂ | ▸Medium◂ | ▸Reddit◂ | ▸Telegram◂ | ▸Whitepaper
_javier_

Activity: 444
Merit: 31

Still a manic miner

View Profile
June 11, 2019, 08:36:13 PM

Its all about the batch you had and the maintenance you do..

I have Gigabytes 280x Windforce (12 of them) and only a few needed fan repairs..

All my Sapphire 7950 VaporX fans are dead.. (+40 boards.. maybe 1 fan still working, all the rest replaced) after 2-3 years.

The culprit is the metal bushing... oil dries and they get stuck. Get fans with ball bearings and forget about troubles.

MY current Gigabyte AORUS 1070s are spinning like 1st day, after +2 years non stop.

Dont blame the brand, its the model you buy

19kt6um75kGg3qKZgui5vucztiGxUpKad5
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 1718

View Profile
June 12, 2019, 06:10:48 AM

In my experience its the other way around, the ASUS brand seems to have held up the most and  Sapphire was the 2nd worst.

Don't know which model you are talking about with Sapphire but those Sapphire Dual-X 280X which had exploding MOSFETs and also featured crappy sleeve bearing fans which were as bad as Gigabyte pretty much.

The Gigabyte was a step up because their warranty was easier to deal with. With Sapphire you need to be original owner, have receipt and ship it overseas for repair. Something not worth doing for a simple fan swap.

dentolas

Activity: 854
Merit: 12

arcs-chain.com

View Profile
June 12, 2019, 07:07:24 AM

Nicely done... a true miner can't be stopped by a simple fan   Grin
I have a few Gigabytes, they are working for more than 2 years and they are doing quite well, both in performance and fans (one had problems in one), and I also have MSIs, that are not so good in terms of performance, but are also doing good...
maybe I was lucky with the series or something... always heard that the Asus were prone to problems...

► ARCS ◄ ♦ ARCS - The New World Token (*Listed on KuCoin) ♦ ► ARCS ◄
───●✦●───●✦●───●✦●───●✦●───●✦●─[   Bounty Detective   ]─●✦●───●✦●───●✦●───●✦●───●✦●───
Website◂ | ▸Twitter◂ | ▸Medium◂ | ▸Telegram◂ | ▸Whitepaper
deadsix

Activity: 751
Merit: 517

Fail to plan, and you plan to fail.

View Profile
June 12, 2019, 12:34:18 PM

Don't know which model you are talking about with Sapphire but those Sapphire Dual-X 280X which had exploding MOSFETs and also featured crappy sleeve bearing fans which were as bad as Gigabyte pretty much.

Can confirm, Sapphire rolls out some designs that are just shit. Their RX 470 4GB stock design cards were a similar shit design with exploding mosfets. I have had over 30 out of about 200 fail on me with the exact same mosfet issue. And the burn was so severe that sapphire has even refused RMA on two of those 30.
No other brand/model have failed for me - not even sapphires other models.

Ethereum/Zcash/Monero Mining Bangalore https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1703592
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: