Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:33:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How coming ethereum PoS hard fork will impact profit of miners?  (Read 314 times)
icehouse (OP)

Activity: 37
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 10:54:32 PM

Hi Miners,

Heard that eth will hard fork to PoS later this year.
read some article and understand that it will be more energy efficient, fast tx,
but
How it will impact on profit of miners who are joining pool?
(like most of us... I assume most of us are running gpu miners at home Smiley Grin

https://steemit.com/eos/@vegeto/ethereum-proof-of-stake-hard-fork-explained

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Isolation

Activity: 62
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 01:00:53 AM

People mining ETH with their GPUs will have to move on to other PoW coins that are still mineable with GPUs. Whichever the most profitable one is at the time of the fork will probably see a pretty big increase in difficulty around that time due to the increased hash rate from all the ETH miners.
gotminer

Activity: 644
Merit: 24

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 02:28:14 AM

People mining ETH with their GPUs will have to move on to other PoW coins that are still mineable with GPUs. Whichever the most profitable one is at the time of the fork will probably see a pretty big increase in difficulty around that time due to the increased hash rate from all the ETH miners.

Or if Metroid is correct, ASIC ETH mining will kill gpu mining.  Keep in mind that he is mentally unstable, but also keep in mind that he could be correct at some point in time.

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 02:38:42 AM

The initial fork will be to a "hybrid" POS/POW setup with 99% still on PoW.

I'm pretty sure ETH won't move to a "mostly" or "entirely" POS model 'till sometime in 2019, they plan to do extensive testing on the POS code before they shift the coin entirely that way.

WHEN THAT HAPPENS though, profitability on ALL GPU-mineable altcoins is going to collapse as all of the ETH POW GPUs (some MILLIONS of them now) look for new homes.

I don't think it's going to be quite as bad as the bloodbath in Scrypt/X11 when Litecoin pricing collapsed right before the Gridseed Orb was first introduced, but it's going to drive all of the "get rich quicK" types out of mining, and may drive some of the long-term folk in HIGH electric cost area (or even AVERAGE electric cost areas) out when the profitability for them goes negative.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
BennyT

Activity: 259
Merit: 108

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 02:42:07 AM

We should all hope ETH moves on from GPU mining. We need more coins, other coins that are mineable that increase the total crypto market cap ten fold. It’s almost at 500 billion now. It needs to go way higher. I’m all for the end of GPU mining on eth. Let’s cotinue to build the crypto sphere
manji

Activity: 210
Merit: 174

BookiePro.Fun - The World's Betting Exchange

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 06:51:16 AM

It's the normal situations if ETH POS but I doubt for ETH POS if looking history ETH. Although ETH POS, only switch another coin many unexplored coins.

Tidsdilatation

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2018, 08:31:39 AM

WHEN THAT HAPPENS though, profitability on ALL GPU-mineable altcoins is going to collapse as all of the ETH POW GPUs (some MILLIONS of them now) look for new homes.

Lol man, this wont happen. Since they will deploy their PoS in batches, starting at 99% PoW the hashrate will slowly decrease over time, meaning other coins wont get a sudden influx of hashrate. It will increase over time. Another thing is that the amount of hashpower a coin has to secure its blockchain is a fundation for the price. Higher hashrate = Higher price since its more secure.
pickleburglar

Activity: 70
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 10:09:14 AM

We should all hope ETH moves on from GPU mining. We need more coins, other coins that are mineable that increase the total crypto market cap ten fold. It’s almost at 500 billion now. It needs to go way higher. I’m all for the end of GPU mining on eth. Let’s cotinue to build the crypto sphere

How does ETH becoming unmineable help the other coins with their value?
somewhan

Activity: 130
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 10:43:56 AM

Yeah... don't see that correlation either. It will just be more miners and more selling pressure on the other coins.
blockchange88

Activity: 141
Merit: 4

ethereum is a fork of ethereum classic.

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 08:20:30 PM

how are you a full member? we dont need anymore shit coins. we need the few cream of the crop to rise to the top and start proving their use cases. not some shitcoin that says they will have a minimal viable product in 3-5 fucking years. i wouldnt touch those coins with 10 foot stick.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 08:28:55 PM

Lol man, this wont happen. Since they will deploy their PoS in batches, starting at 99% PoW the hashrate will slowly decrease over time, meaning other coins wont get a sudden influx of hashrate. It will increase over time. Another thing is that the amount of hashpower a coin has to secure its blockchain is a fundation for the price. Higher hashrate = Higher price since its more secure.

The plan is 99/1 split, test the POS stuff, then move to full POS, per my understanding of posts from the devs about the planning.
There is no "gradual shift" planned like you are talking about.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
gotminer

Activity: 644
Merit: 24

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 09:20:56 PM

The plan is 99/1 split, test the POS stuff, then move to full POS, per my understanding of posts from the devs about the planning.
There is no "gradual shift" planned like you are talking about.

Is the testnet even working yet?

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: