Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:31:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Figuring out taxes  (Read 85 times)
Highflying1 (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 12:18:53 AM

I've almost exclusively used Coinbase and they have a tool where you can generate a "Cost Basis for Taxes" in the U.S. which is a downloadable .csv file. I've also made a couple of transfers to exchanges, which I can make a note of, and I'm guessing I can pass this file and my notations on to my CPA when he does my taxes?

I've seen that there is a program, or website that you can use called "bitcoin.tax" It sounds like a good program, but I wonder if it's going to be extremely hard to figure out how to use such a program?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
HabBear

Activity: 1106
Merit: 637

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2018, 04:50:52 AM

I'm guessing I can pass this file and my notations on to my CPA when he does my taxes?

Sure you could, this sounds like a great idea!

I've seen that there is a program, or website that you can use called "bitcoin.tax" It sounds like a good program, but I wonder if it's going to be extremely hard to figure out how to use such a program?

It shouldn't be too difficult to figure out.

Tax treatment of Bitcoin in the States is very simple. Bitcoin is property. When you sell it you need to pay taxes on the gains (or you can deduct from taxes if sold at a loss). If you own the Bitcoin for less than a year, your tax rate is the same as your income tax rate. If you own the Bitcoin for longer than a year,  your tax rate is at a reduced rate (between 10-20% depending upon your income, but less than your actual income tax rate).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: