Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 02:24:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why the Bitcoin community HAS to save the network from HashFast, CoinTerra, BFL.  (Read 9826 times)
OurAsic (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 05:46:19 AM
Last edit: September 16, 2013, 06:59:35 AM by OurAsic

All the ASIC manufacturers are marred with greed, and will continue to suck blood out of the community until the community gets back in control.

ASIC Manufacturer Greed
The reason why the ASIC manufacturers are selling their products for a HIGH margin is, they want to mine themselves. And if they sell for cheap, they will get a lot of competition in mining. A 28nm chip costs at most $100 to manufacture (after the Non Recurring Engineering costs, which are about 1 to 1.5 million dollars). HashFast has already recouped their NRE costs from the sale of their first batch, but they are still selling their chips at 3500% of cost price for the second batch! They can easily make as much profit by selling a lot of chips for a lower price (around ~$200). But they are not doing this. Why? Because, by flooding the market with cheap ASICs, they will not be able to mine on their own. Right now electricity is a negligible cost associated with mining. But if there are a lot of people mining with the latest ASICs, the cost of electricity will once again become significant. Then, these companies will not be able to make much profit from mining.

Delaying a delivery is LEGAL!
In addition to that, they can always delay the delivery of the chips. Deliberately delaying the delivery of a product is NOT a crime, unless specifically ruled as fraud by a court in this special case of Bitcoin mining. Why would a company sell you a money printing machine and deliver it on time when they can delay the delivery and print money in the meantime without breaking any laws?

Getting back in control
Getting back in control is easy. We just have to flood the market wth a lot of cheap ASICs. This is possible (there is a proposal at the end of this post), economically feasible and attainable. How will this help? By flooding the market with cheap ASICs, we can:
1. Foil the evil plan of all the greedy ASIC manufacturers, since mining will no longer be SO MUCH profitable to them. They will have to start making profit from sales only, which will lead to competition and a much fair pricing.
2. Make mining affordable (and attainable) for everyone.
3. Secure the network, by properly decentralizing mining once again.

This will be kind of similar to the "Gentleman's Agreement" proposed by Satoshi in the earlier days of mining.

“We should have a gentleman’s agreement to postpone the GPU arms race as long as we can for the good of the network.  It’s much easier to get new users up to speed if they don’t have to worry about GPU drivers and compatibility.  It’s nice how anyone with just a CPU can compete fairly equally right now.” – Satoshi

Right now there is nothing "fair" about mining. The ASIC manufacturers, with millions of investment from the community, are light years ahead of everyone else. For them making the hardware is VERY cheap (~$200 for a complete 500 GHash/s miner using the 28nm technology), the cost of electricity is negligible. For every other Tom, Dick and Harry, the same machine will cost about $5000, and they probably won't get it until March/April next year, when it won't be worth anything.

The big hurdle
Making an ASIC chip is not something that anybody can do at home (unlike using GPUs or FPGAs for mining). There are a lot of upfront costs, known as NRE costs, to the tune of 1 to 2 million dollars. Majority of this investment goes into the ASIC design, and making the "die". The die is used to burn wafers. Once the die is made it can burn an unlimited amount of wafers. A single wafer burn (costing about $10,000) can produce about 150 chips. That comes to about $66 per chip. Packaging/testing of the chip is extra, which is not more than $50 per chip. So, once the NRE costs are collected, each new chip can be produced for about $100.

Solution:
In order to save the network, Bitcoin community has to get back in control. Here is our proposal. Our company will first develop an ASIC chip based on the 28nm technology. And later probably a 14nm one. We will do this 100% transparently by keeping the community in control! How this can be achieved:

• The community will elect 10 eminent members from the Bitcoin community (reputed Escrows, Group buyers) and we will appoint them as "treasurers" of the company. They do not have to US citizens. These treasurers will be in control of all the pre-order funds and will approve every expense.
  • When the pre-order money for Non Recurring Engineering costs is raised, each treasurer will be in control of 1/10th of the company funds. Whenever there is a bill/invoice to pay, the office bearers of our company will send it to the treasurers for approval. Upon which, each treasurer will transfer 1/10th of the bill amount to the company's account. After making the payment, the company will send back the proof of payment/receipt to each treasurer.
  • During the whole process the company will have to sign many NDAs, and would not be able to disclose all the invoices/receipts to public. However, since these treasurers will be a part of the company legally, we would be allowed to show the receipts to them.
  • All the expenses would be disclosed publicly.
  • Since the biggest cost (and barrier to entry) is the die. We will instruct the fab to release the die to "public domain". That means, any company can place an order from the fab without having to invest in any NREs. This will lead to a healthier competition.
  • We will not take any salaries, compensations etc., but we will earn a fixed pre-determined small mark-up from the sales as profit.

OurAsic
We are a group of Bitcoin veterans who have invested (and like most others lost a lot) in the ASIC manufacturing companies. OurAsic Inc. is a Delaware corporation. We are located all over the USA, but plan the headquarter the company in Silicon Valley (SF Bay Area, CA). We plan to make a 28nm chip with a capacity of 400 to 600 Ghash/sec (we will get better estimates of the actual value when we start the process, but we are 99% confident that it will be in this range). We will sell the first batch of 10,000 chips at $200/chip to collect 2 million dollars. As proposed above, the money will remain in control of the treasurers. Once the NRE money is collected, it will take us about 4 to 5 months to ship the chips to the customers. (2 months for designing the chip, simulations, etc. and 2-3 months for the tape-out, burning, testing, packaging, etc.) If we start today, we can have the chips in our hands by late January. During this time, we will release the chip specs, sample circuit schematics, Gerbers, BOMs etc. so that OEMs can start designing/manufacturing their units. The subsequent batches will be even cheaper at about ~$100/chip (fabs give huge discounts for large quantities).

PLEASE NOTE:
Lets please keep the discussion on this topic limited to whether this is feasible and to gauge the interest of the community in such a project. We will start another thread to discuss our ability/legitimacy, and to introduce our team.
VolanicEruptor

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 05:50:16 AM

is OurAsic Inc. your actual registered name?  Is it a registered business?

OurAsic (OP)

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 05:52:42 AM

is OurAsic Inc. your actual registered name?  Is it a registered business?

Yes, its a Delaware corporation. We also own OurAsic.com (there is nothing there yet).
VolanicEruptor

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 05:58:58 AM

starting with funding for a 28nm design is a little late now, the 28nm rush is happening right away.. I would suggest jumping right into 14nm.   Cheesy

southerngentuk

Activity: 1316
Merit: 253

Sugars.zone | DatingFi - Earn for Posting

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 05:59:04 AM

Activity 1 ?
Am sure this not your first visit to the forums ?

Perhaps you should disclose your previous forum name for credibility.

That aside its a nice idea..

SUGAR
██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████████▄
███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
█████▀██████▀▀██████▀█████
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████▄████
████████▄████████▄████████
▀████████████████████████▀
▀▀████████████████████▀▀

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
███████████████████████████
██████               ██████
██████   ▄████▀      ██████
██████▄▄▄███▀   ▄█   ██████
██████████▀   ▄███   ██████
████████▀   ▄█████▄▄▄██████
██████▀   ▄███████▀▀▀██████
██████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ██████
██████               ██████
Backed By
ZetaChain

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████████████████████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
erk

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 05:59:58 AM

Is there an ASIC on the market which I could order today, that would return as much or more BTC as I would have to pay for it in say under 6mths of mining? I am not sure that there is anymore.

The margins are too high, there is nothing worth buying atm. The ASIC land rush is over until the manufactures start delivering on time, and charging sensible prices.

BTC network just hit 1PH/s and no 28nm gear yet. Wait till that hits, it will be 2,3,..4PH/s in no time.

OurAsic (OP)

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 06:02:06 AM

Interesting.
I will take part for 1 chip, once the 10 eminent members are known.

This is a very raw proposal yet. We have not selected any members yet, and will totally rely on the community to do this. We are also open to more suggestions about how we can do this more transparently, and what other steps we should take to ensure that we do not end up like other ASIC manufacturers.
Noitev

Activity: 812
Merit: 505

The Last NXT Founder

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 06:05:15 AM

I suggest running something on btc.tc or similar
OurAsic (OP)

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 06:08:07 AM

Activity 1 ?
Am sure this not your first visit to the forums ?

Perhaps you should disclose your previous forum name for credibility.

That aside its a nice idea..

Once there is huge consensus that this is a good idea, we will disclose our public profiles. That being said, this proposal is not just for us. Others in the industry are more than welcome to step forward to take lead.

Is there an ASIC on the market which I could order today, that would return as much or more BTC as I would have to pay for it in say under 6mths of mining? I am not sure that there is anymore.

The margins are too high, there is nothing worth buying atm. The ASIC land rush is over until the manufactures start delivering on time, and charging sensible prices.

BTC network just hit 1PH/s and no 28nm gear yet. Wait till that hits, it will be 2,3,..4PH/s in no time.

Exactly the reason why we proposed this solution.

starting with funding for a 28nm design is a little late now, the 28nm rush is happening right away.. I would suggest jumping right into 14nm.   Cheesy

14nm is the cutting edge. Only very few companies are making 14nm chips at this time. NRE costs for 14nm are even higher. We are still looking into it. We believe 28nm will still last for an year or so.
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2013, 06:11:24 AM

I'm supportive

goxed
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006

Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 06:16:51 AM

I hope this is for real

Revewing Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
wunch

Activity: 49

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 06:33:52 AM

A few questions:
So the ASIC companies are evil for selling a product with high market demand?
So the people buying ASIC's by the truckload are not the issue?
And this can be stopped by creating another ASIC?
What drugs are you guys on and can i have some?
OurAsic (OP)

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 06:52:01 AM

A few questions:

1. In Bitcoin mining some laws of regular economy don't hold. For example, there would be NO demand for ASICs, if there were no ASICs anywhere. People were still mining happily with GPUs/FPGAs. ASICs just increased the difficulty rate.
2. They have no other choice, we are here to give one.
3. If you read my post properly, you would find the answer to this question. We are not creating just "another" ASIC. We are creating a low cost ASIC ($100 - $200 for a 400 to 600 GHash/sec capacity chip).
4. Irrelevant question.

mgio

Activity: 546

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 06:56:10 AM

A few questions:

This.

There is plenty of competition out there. There are at least 7 companies selling ASIC miners presently. As difficulty goes up, the price of these machines will go way way down.

Within 6 months you'll see devices in the 500+ GH/s range selling for just hundreds of dollars, well within the range of a casual miner. Serious miners will be buying devices in the terahash range.

These devices won't be that profitable but people with cheap or free electricity will be able to make a small proft.

Current ASIC companies are doing not anything immoral (well, except for BFL and Avalon). They are simply charging what the market will bear. That's called capitalism. If you don't agree with their prices, don't buy from them.
console_cowboy

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 06:56:43 AM

Well I'm curious to see what happens with this. I like your ideas, now you guys need to get them accomplished. Get there and you have my full support. I know I would love to see a low cost chip hit the market and blow away the competition. It is quite possible to be a loss leader here and lead the market. Plus I really like hobby style boards!

Looking forward to hearing about your team.
kernel_panic

Activity: 41

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 07:19:48 AM

• Since the biggest cost (and barrier to entry) is the die. We will instruct the fab to release the die to "public domain". That means, any company can place an order from the fab without having to invest in any NREs. This will lead to a healthier competition.

By instructing the fab I understand that this will be your obligation to do so, being specified in a contract of some sort.
You see, trust is very hard to earn and stuff like "we will do x and y" means nothing if it isn't clearly stated in some form of legal binding contract.
I am interested in this project, I think it's fair and good to the community to have access to cheap hardware in order to have a more diverse ecosystem. Right now the markups are huge because there is a huge demand for these  products, they are scarce and everyone, from Avalon to Bitfury, CoinCraft, CoinTerra, CoinWhatever has to make the choice of selling this chip at a higher price or mine for themselves (personally I would mine for myself - too much hassle) yet neither of them, so eager to "help the community" has come up front and said "we will make our chip public domain".

There are kickstarter projects that raised more than 2 million yet we buy custom made hardware because we are looking for the same thing: ROI in 4-5 weeks and a fairly fat profit 6-9 months down the road. Greed is natural. Fortunately, technology limits that.

Also you will only get one shot at this so you know... you have to make it count.

I will be watching this thread.
ranger1320

Activity: 29

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 07:24:04 AM

Interesting idea!  I'm very fond of the transparency around your NRE expenses and community elected treasurer-group suggestion. A few questions though!

Assuming the 28nm AND 14nm projects prove successful (probably a ways to go on the 14nm) what about smaller chip-architecture?

Any plans for election processes of treasury agents? Length of terms of service?

What kind of background does your company have in ASIC design?  You obviously know what you're talking about, I'm just interested as a miner in your "portfolio".

Pubic domain for the die on the ASIC chips sounds wonderful; do you plan on open-source firmware to run the chips too?

Best of luck and I will certainly be following!
OurAsic (OP)

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 07:37:22 AM

By instructing the fab I understand that this will be your obligation to do so, being specified in a contract of some sort.
You see, trust is very hard to earn and stuff like "we will do x and y" means nothing if it isn't clearly stated in some form of legal binding contract.
I am interested in this project, I think it's fair and good to the community to have access to cheap hardware in order to have a more diverse ecosystem. Right now the markups are huge because there is a huge demand for these  products, they are scarce and everyone, from Avalon to Bitfury, CoinCraft, CoinTerra, CoinWhatever has to make the choice of selling this chip at a higher price or mine for themselves (personally I would mine for myself - too much hassle) yet neither of them, so eager to "help the community" has come up front and said "we will make our chip public domain".

There are kickstarter projects that raised more than 2 million yet we buy custom made hardware because we are looking for the same thing: ROI in 4-5 weeks and a fairly fat profit 6-9 months down the road. Greed is natural. Fortunately, technology limits that.

Also you will only get one shot at this so you know... you have to make it count.

I will be watching this thread.

We are open to suggestions about what steps to take to make our operation more transparent. One option is to put all the "we will do x and y" in the company bylaws and making the Executives/Board personally liable if they fail to honor the commitment.

Interesting idea!  I'm very fond of the transparency around your NRE expenses and community elected treasurer-group suggestion. A few questions though!

Assuming the 28nm AND 14nm projects prove successful (probably a ways to go on the 14nm) what about smaller chip-architecture?

Any plans for election processes of treasury agents? Length of terms of service?

What kind of background does your company have in ASIC design?  You obviously know what you're talking about, I'm just interested as a miner in your "portfolio".

Pubic domain for the die on the ASIC chips sounds wonderful; do you plan on open-source firmware to run the chips too?

Best of luck and I will certainly be following!

14nm is still a dream. We will be talking to some companies this week to find out if it is even possible anytime soon. So far we know that we won't probably see 14nm ASICs until 2015.

We will let the community nominate and then vote for the treasurers.

We do not have any particular experience with ASIC design. However, majority of the work will be contracted to companies specializing in this. SHA-256 is not a very complicated algorithm, and designing an ASIC for this is relatively easy. We will also hire experienced people to help us make the right decisions.

Everything will be open-sourced, since it is funded by the community.
xstr8guy

Activity: 784
Merit: 1004

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 08:05:27 AM

Ah, the socialist solution to ASIC!

I'm in, if this isn't just a pipe dream.  But what's to stop unknown groups from buying huge chunks of this proposed new hashing power?  Wouldn't this just be another opportunity for the well-funded profiteers to make even more money?
erk

Activity: 826

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 08:11:32 AM

Ah, the socialist solution to ASIC!

I'm in, if this isn't just a pipe dream.  But what's to stop unknown groups from buying huge chunks of this proposed new hashing power?  Wouldn't this just be another opportunity for the well-funded profiteers to make even more money?
Make a finite batch and have a lottery for each one, make it random distribution for fairness. One persons money then becomes as good as anothers.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: