Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 01:55:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: SimpleMiner vs Hive OS  (Read 724 times)
Patuba (OP)

Activity: 63
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 02:36:06 AM

I’m looking to replace Windows 10 with a mining OS, for those that use a mining OS, which do you prefer, SimpleMiner or Hive?

Also, does either one have a free remote control program that can be used over the internet? Right now I’m using Chrome Remote Desktop but I’m guessing it doesn’t work with Linux; I could be wrong though.
Troy1307

Activity: 11

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 03:09:59 AM

Having used both, I would recommend HiveOS.

They are both very alike for the initial setup but HiveOS has quite a few additional features that SMOS is lacking.

Heres a few of those:
- Remote SSH/VNC. (although only on local networks. You could probably do some port forwarding and get this working remotely as well.)
- Monitoring. GPU goes red if temp goes above threshold. Rig goes red if offline. The monitor dashboard helps when you have a few rigs to take care of. You can easily tell if something is wrong with a single glance at the screen.
- Watchdog. Haven't used this much but it can be quite useful to restart the miner or reboot the rig if hashrate is lower than expected.
- Shared access. You can delegate some rights to your rigs to another account. Such as if you hire a tech to help out with your farm, you can give him tech rights. Which would only allow him to do OC, reboots, or OS upgrades. (not allowing him to go into the wallet settings)
- Stats. When something goes wrong, you want to know when and how. The stats page gives you alot of information.
- API. Though I have not gone into this at all. I have not seen SMOS with anything close to API.

Also, if you have 3 rigs or less, HiveOS is free. While you will have to pay for SMOS eventually.
Zikkson

Activity: 70

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 05:08:39 AM

I also recommend HiveOS. No problems with it, up to date miners and great features with awesome stability. But do not use wifi, its buggy and unstable in some cases.
Troy1307

Activity: 11

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 05:32:52 AM

I also recommend HiveOS. No problems with it, up to date miners and great features with awesome stability. But do not use wifi, its buggy and unstable in some cases.

Totally agree on the wifi. Tried it once and had so many issues. It would unsync  somehow... on the dashboard it would show all the GPUs as online but with no hashrate or fan speed while on the actual rig the fans were going 100%. Then at some point it just stopped working... rig would go offline for no reason. So... yeah... don't do it. Tongue
jdoi

Activity: 34
Merit: 4

Hi

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 06:51:58 AM

Have you tried this with a combo of Nvidia and AMD cards? If so, how easy/difficult is it to mod and configure them?
CryptoDocker

Activity: 122
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 07:16:45 AM

Those that have used Ethos and HiveOS which do you find better??
octominer

Activity: 248
Merit: 8

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2018, 07:28:01 PM

Tried SMOS, ETHOS and HIVE OS. HIVE is the best! Very easy to use, super nice and clean interface, has wifi support and many other good features.
And it's free for up to 3 rigs!
4broaf

Activity: 1

View Profile
February 18, 2018, 10:37:17 AM

Yes I do agree the Hive is the best one.
yhbae

Activity: 119

View Profile
June 13, 2018, 02:47:05 PM

It's been 4 months since the last feedback, both probably received a lot of updates... Has the situation changed on this topic?

Which is better, SMOS or HiveOS?
xiders

Activity: 16

View Profile
June 13, 2018, 04:17:44 PM

HiveOS is the best - regular updates, almost all miners are accessible, great web-interface. And of course - do not use wi-fi, cable is much better
yhbae

Activity: 119

View Profile
June 13, 2018, 05:34:42 PM

HiveOS is the best - regular updates, almost all miners are accessible, great web-interface. And of course - do not use wi-fi, cable is much better

Eek, I just remembered why I couldn't use HiveOS.

I have 10 rigs and they are spread across the entire house, including the basement, 1st floor and 2nd floor. I have no easy way to connect them by wires.

I am using the Netgear Orbi router with satellite units and so far the reliability has been fine though.
JFoxOne

Activity: 640
Merit: 56

minerstat

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2018, 10:58:42 AM

You can use Wi-fi with minerstat's Linux mining OS.

Also it is a better alternative if you need an official invoice for your business (your accountant will love you forever for it).
But not just that, here is a full feature list.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: