Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:31:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 20113-09-16: FBI Admits It Controlled Tor Servers Behind Mass Malware Attack  (Read 1164 times)
bernard75 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 05:24:35 PM

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2013/09/freedom-hosting-fbi/

It wasn’t ever seriously in doubt, but the FBI yesterday acknowledged that it secretly took control of Freedom Hosting last July, days before the servers of the largest provider of ultra-anonymous hosting were found to be serving custom malware designed to identify visitors.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitCoiner2012

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 05:29:17 PM

Criminal behavior by those exalted ones in power, nothing to see here sadly.

BTC Long.
Elions

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2013, 07:53:59 PM

It was one of those things that weren't oficially confirmed but people had an accurate idea of what caused it. Shame.
Le Happy Merchant

Activity: 634
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 08:15:06 PM

18100 years from now, I'll be sure to be outraged.

ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 11:24:43 PM

The heart of the malicious Javascript was a tiny Windows executable hidden in a variable named “Magneto.” A traditional virus would use that executable to download and install a full-featured backdoor, so the hacker could come in later and steal passwords, enlist the computer in a DDoS botnet, and generally do all the other nasty things that happen to a hacked Windows box.

Bold my emphasis. The malware requires Microsoft Windows in order to work. Still it would be a good idea for GNU / Linux users to not install Wine as an extra precaution.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 11:27:53 PM

The heart of the malicious Javascript was a tiny Windows executable hidden in a variable named “Magneto.” A traditional virus would use that executable to download and install a full-featured backdoor, so the hacker could come in later and steal passwords, enlist the computer in a DDoS botnet, and generally do all the other nasty things that happen to a hacked Windows box.

Bold my emphasis. The malware requires Microsoft Windows in order to work. Still it would be a good idea for GNU / Linux users to not install Wine as an extra precaution.
No, their code was targeted towards the windows platform. It doesn't mean windows is less secure, or their was some conspiracy on the part of microsoft. They targeted windows because it's the largest platform.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 11:38:14 PM

No, their code was targeted towards the windows platform. It doesn't mean windows is less secure, or their was some conspiracy on the part of microsoft. They targeted windows because it's the largest platform.

How do you know that there is no conspiracy on the part of Microsoft? I am not saying there is a conspiracy on the part of Microsoft, I am simply saying that there could be. One thing is clear from the Snowden leaks is that there is very close cooperation between companies like Microsoft and various US Government agencies.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
BitCoiner2012

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 12:19:16 AM

How do you know that there is no conspiracy on the part of Microsoft? I am not saying there is a conspiracy on the part of Microsoft, I am simply saying that there could be. One thing is clear from the Snowden leaks is that there is very close cooperation between companies like Microsoft and various US Government agencies.

It is to be considered, certainly. I have been warning for years based on suspicion and what appeared to me to be logic (as well as the natural progression of government/authority). Snowden sure did a hell of a lot better of a job getting the word out, however. I am no longer the 1984 "kook".

BTC Long.
Le Happy Merchant

Activity: 634
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 09:26:21 AM

... jackboot licker much?

Not sure what you mean, I was making a joke about the typo in the name of the thread.

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 09:43:22 PM

... jackboot licker much?

Not sure what you mean, I was making a joke about the typo in the name of the thread.

Oh, I see ... retracted.

marcotheminer
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1049

┴puoʎǝq ʞool┴

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 04:55:53 AM

The date seems a bit off lol!  Grin  Tongue
but yeh, the governments of the world are going down the hole :/
defaced
Legendary