Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 04:51:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Watching" posts, no longer needed can we kill them?  (Read 731 times)
gmaxwell (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2013, 02:21:41 AM

Would it be really awful to regexp filter posts for something like^\w*[Ww]atching\.?\w*$ and deny the post and tell the user about the watchlist feature?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 06:06:45 AM

That would open a can of worms. Your regex as-is will catch too few posts (right?) and if it's made broader then it's very easy for it to trigger on posts like "Hey thanks for the information, I'll be watching that closely" and such. Sure it's a near useless post but his author is going to be informed about a Watchlist feature that has nothing to do with what he was talking about.
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 01:56:12 PM

That would open a can of worms. Your regex as-is will catch too few posts (right?) and if it's made broader then it's very easy for it to trigger on posts like "Hey thanks for the information, I'll be watching that closely" and such. Sure it's a near useless post but his author is going to be informed about a Watchlist feature that has nothing to do with what he was talking about.
what about categorizing posts like these as spam? Moderators would delete them on sight and send the author a polite message explaining the watch feature.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 06:03:34 PM

what about categorizing posts like these as spam? Moderators would delete them on sight and send the author a polite message explaining the watch feature.
I'm pretty sure that is the current policy, except that posts older than the watchlist system are grandfathered in and are allowed to remain.

EFS
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 2068

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 06:07:03 PM

Also you should consider this Show new replies to your posts. thing. Even if I unwatch the thread I still see them there. I don't know if it's possible but it would be good if there is a button like unwatch, for not seeing unwanted threads there.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3411

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 09:33:16 PM

Also you should consider this Show new replies to your posts. thing. Even if I unwatch the thread I still see them there. I don't know if it's possible but it would be good if there is a button like unwatch, for not seeing unwanted threads there.

Something like "ignore thread" would definitely be nice, yep.

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3411

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 09:36:22 PM

Just a suggestion for a "workaround":

Why not simply "hide" postings that only consist of the string "+1" or "-1" via css?

That way, people could post their +1 to watch a thread, but it wouldn't annoy anyone?

Also, scripts could build upon that, parsing posts for that particular css etc.

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 09:36:50 PM

Just enable "Automatically watch Threads I posted in" in you settings and use the Watchlist.

Forget the "Show new replies to your posts." Function.  IMO it should be removed entirely and "Automatically watch Threads I posted in" enabled set as default.

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12900

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 09:39:24 PM

"Automatically watch Threads I posted in" enabled set as default.

That is the default for new accounts.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 09:44:24 PM

Thx.

Never mind my post then.

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
Pages: [1]