Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 02:25:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New Physical Bitcoin: This Represents a New Standard Folks  (Read 7181 times)
BTCINVESTOR (OP)

Activity: 176
Merit: 101

Cryptographic money will be the bedrock in time.

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 03:32:41 PM

They are licensed and owned by Ambicash, LLC. Pretty sure.

Math based currencies will supplant all sovereign currencies over time. Buy them now.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
fatnlovelyfred

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 08:30:35 AM

Looks beatiful, great piece of art!
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2014, 09:14:57 AM

Got mine.  They are beautiful!

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
BTCINVESTOR (OP)

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 08:16:50 PM

Got mine. Here is one of them...

I am very pleased.

Math based currencies will supplant all sovereign currencies over time. Buy them now.
htimsxela

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 11:42:42 PM

These looks nice, but I agree about the physical engraving - as 'cheesy' as a hologram sticker can look, I think it is still the best method to date. I think a lot of people who are into coins and collectibles will be fine with keeping it in a tamper-proof case and leaving it on a shelf, but many other people will be interested in a coin that they can physically handle - a neat token of bitcoin history, even if handling it does diminish value.

It seems your goal is to create high quality collectibles, that is fine in itself, but many highly collectible pieces become collectible after their inception. It feels less authentic to make this a business plan right from the start.

Honestly though, I don't mean to be negative, just my two cents! Obviously you've put in a lot of time and effort creating these pieces, best of luck with the project!
blink.blonk.01

Activity: 9

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 10:38:08 AM

Can someone explain to me how this coin protects against me making a similar coin (for 2oz of silver = $40), placing it in a plastic case, slapping some holograms on it, and then claiming I have a 2BTC coin? It would appear that the physical value of the item is less than $100, but the BTC value is over $1500. Therefore if I can spend $1000 to forge a $100 coin/case, I have just made $500.
BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2014, 02:46:11 PM

When buying items like this you must totally trust the source of the item.  I have to trust that in fact there is a private key on the coin.  If it is not there I am screwed.  This is true for the holographic sticker coins as well.  If you put out fake coins all you have to do is get people to trust you and then rip them off.  Yep.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2014, 02:53:24 PM

We do need at least one wealthy individual, goat?, to pick one at random, break it open and report back the results here.  I say wealthy because they will destroy about 1 BTC in value just to test the seller.  

blink.blonk.01

Activity: 9

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 03:33:05 PM

In this case, it means that it will be impossible to resell these. Because say "John" buys a valid coin (containing the 2BTC) and is perfectly honest, when he tries to resell it to me, I have no idea if John is selling a real coin or a fake coin. Therefore these are only useful for personal cold storage and can never be resold.
BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2014, 07:09:24 PM

In this case, it means that it will be impossible to resell these. Because say "John" buys a valid coin (containing the 2BTC) and is perfectly honest, when he tries to resell it to me, I have no idea if John is selling a real coin or a fake coin. Therefore these are only useful for personal cold storage and can never be resold.
Very difficult to resell, probably.  I know people that will buy them from me because they trust me.  But then they might have a harder time because the chain of trust gets longer.

BTCINVESTOR (OP)

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 08:34:08 PM

Received the remainder of mine...

Again, I am related to the artist so passing these on to my children will have personal meaning for me.

BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2014, 09:06:20 PM

Has anyone cracked open a random one to see if it has the private key?

htspringer

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 03:43:58 AM

Has anyone cracked open a random one to see if it has the private key?
I'm sure some of these coins will be redeemed.  If the private key isn't there, it will become public news pretty quick.  Why does everyone trust Casascius coins?  Since so many have redeemed, it is logical to assume that Mike Caldwell did defraud anyone.
   I bought an Adam Smith coin.  I can tell you that this would be difficult to counterfeit, so the chain of custody is far less critical for resale than other physical bitcoins.  Furthermore, making a custom made case such as they have would cost literally thousands of dollars for a mold...not to mention they have a very unique method of sealing the case that they haven't disclosed. Also, they have a proprietary cipher system for each case.  This means than you can take a photo of the case and coin, email it to the company... And they can determine if its legitimate vs counterfeit.  I seriously believe that if bitcoin reaches a value of $100,000, these coins would still be fairly safe from counterfeiting. 
Stevenrm87

Activity: 403
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 06:42:05 PM

BTC4.4008 each as of today

Selling fully funded Titan BTC Physical Bitcoins, Gold and SIlver - BTC Physical Bitcoins BTC PM if interested.
BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2014, 07:28:00 PM

Where did you get that price?

Warning__3

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 07:37:08 PM

Where did you get that price?

Stabic

Activity: 24

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 08:22:41 PM

15TJRaPX9zpBA8LVnbrCYPzrVzN3ixHNsC

Nothing comes up on blockchain
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 08:58:20 PM
Last edit: February 27, 2014, 09:30:28 PM by CoinHoarder

Hi,

I'm wondering if the OP or someone from Alitin Mint can help me. I am failing to see how this is much of an improvement from tamper proof holograms. I am not trying to cause drama, I simply am wondering if I am thinking about it wrong. I know since I also make physical cryptocoins this will likely look like an attack of some sort, but I am genuinely worried about the security of your product and the claims you are making of how they are more secure than original physical Bitcoins with tamper proof holograms. I have spent many hours lately doing different experiments on how to improve security on the original design of physical Bitcoins, but I don't see this as a very good solution.

I think you guys protected the coin from the obvious... radiation techniques due to the engraved private key, but it seems to me the only line of defense against retrieving the private keys of these coins is the hologram on the coin case. Which as we know can likely be removed showing no to little signs using acetone, just like the older coins that you claim are inferior to yours. That defeats the whole sales pitch here.. minus the very attractive coin artwork. The process a bad actor could take is:

1. Have a replica of the plastic coin case made in China for $1-5 each
2. Remove the coin from the packaging and retrieve the private key from the edges of the coin.
3. Remove the hologram from the original coin case using acetone showing no to little signs of intrusion.
4. Print new labels, QR code, whatever is inside the coin case and put them in the new replica case.
5. Place the coin back in the replica coin case you had made and seal it.
6. Place the hologram on the coin case back where it should be like nothing happened.

I know Alitin says "you can send a picture by email and find out if it is counterfeit or not". However, I have a hard time believing that they do not do this by checking a certain security feature they added to their hologram. This is something that can be easily implemented in the old design of physical cryptocoins.. just a coin and a hologram.

I am just failing to see how this is any better. It would require a little more work to tamper with than a normal physical cryptocoin, but it is still doable IMO. Even at today's prices there is likely enough incentive (cost versus reward) to do this... imagine when Bitcoin really goes to the moon. Please prove me wrong, the reason for my post here today is purely academic and I wish Alitin Mint all the best. I hope I can make it to the Texas Bitcoin Conference to talk about this with you guys face to face and in depth. I only live a couple hours away so I think I can come.. I just have to see if I can get off work.

Thanks
BTCINVESTOR (OP)

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 11:33:10 PM

15TJRaPX9zpBA8LVnbrCYPzrVzN3ixHNsC

Nothing comes up on blockchain

They said on there that was a simulated address for display purposes.

newguy05

Activity: 1316
Merit: 503

Someone is sitting in the shade today...

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2014, 12:42:13 AM

Exactly they need some type of authentication on the coin, otherwise anyone can just contract one of hundreds of coin makers and have this made.

Also 2 btc premium over intrinsic is very high. I see this as purely a fun collectible/gift, not investment grade product.

▄██████
       ▄████████
     ▄██████████
   ▄█▀     █████
 ▄███      █████
█████      ███████████████████████████
█████                           ████▀
█████                           ██▀
█████                          ▄▀   
██████████████████████████████▀