Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 10:57:35 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: If Bitcoin is the Gold and Litecoin is the Silver then what will the Bronze be?  (Read 1512 times)
zpply (OP)

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 03:35:19 AM

At this point alt coins out there appears to be fighting for 3rd to 5th place in the virtual currency world. Since Bitcoin is getting hard and harder to mine wouldn't another SHA-256 coin start to gain momentum as users point all there hardware to an alternative?

bcp19

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 03:43:21 AM

At this point alt coins out there appears to be fighting for 3rd to 5th place in the virtual currency world. Since Bitcoin is getting hard and harder to mine wouldn't another SHA-256 coin start to gain momentum as users point all there hardware to an alternative?

Most sha-256 coins are worthless compared to BTC and any significant hardware thrown at them would 51% the network so fast it's not funny.  Why mine something that is 2-15% of BTC's value for the same effort?

I do not suffer fools gladly... "Captain!  We're surrounded!"
I embrace my inner Kool-Aid.
mgio

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 04:21:30 PM

What's the point. Bitcoin is gold, silver, and bronze. Litecoin is pointless and will die pretty soon along with all the other alt coins.

Sure, other SHA-256 coins will be easier to mine but you forget one important fact: There has to be someone out there that wants to buy them or they with be worthless, no matter how many you mine.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 04:29:11 PM

Bitcoin is gold, silver, and bronze.

Something is either radically superior and replaces Bitcoin completely or it targets a niche where Bitcoin is less than optimal and coexists.  The silver to gold analogy is just wishful thinking.

alp

Activity: 284
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 06:14:14 PM

Something is either radically superior and replaces Bitcoin completely or it targets a niche where Bitcoin is less than optimal and coexists.  The silver to gold analogy is just wishful thinking.

Dead on.  There is a possibility that something comes along and solves a particular problem better than Bitcoin, and Bitcoin cannot solve it without also making the vast majority use cases worse in the process, thus the niche can be served by the alt-coin.  namecoin seems like a good example of this, it has a niche case, and there's no reason to extend Bitcoin to service namecoin use cases.

I am looking for a good signature. Here could be your advertisement
Nemo1024
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1014

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2013, 12:44:03 PM

Zetacoin: fast confirmations (buy you bread and walk out of the store within seconds, and not half an hour if you paid with BTC) + inflationary (new coins a seeped into economy at a slow rate inducing spending and rewarding miners [network maintainers]).

“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”
“We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.”
“It is important to fight and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated.”
FreeTrade
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1030

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 03:40:22 PM

Dead on.  There is a possibility that something comes along and solves a particular problem better than Bitcoin, and Bitcoin cannot solve it without also making the vast majority use cases worse in the process, thus the niche can be served by the alt-coin.  namecoin seems like a good example of this, it has a niche case, and there's no reason to extend Bitcoin to service namecoin use cases.

Another +1

The question is will there be a Platinum to Bitcoin's Gold.

Membercoin - Layer 1 Coin used for the member.cash decentralized social network.
10% Interest On All Balances. Browser and Solo Mining. 100% Distributed to Users and Developers.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2013, 03:46:19 PM

A lot of altcoins claimed that really fast blocks was a major important thing to have, if they were right then maybe GeistGeld will turn out to be the best fit for that niche since you get it "free" alongside your bitcoins and it has very fast blocks.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
ronimacarroni

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 03:48:53 PM

Well anonymous transactions such as the ones that anoncoin will provide could come in handy in the future for services in which privacy is key.
Services such as cough... erm well... you know...
gica_contra

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 03:51:42 PM

Most sha-256 coins are worthless compared to BTC and any significant hardware thrown at them would 51% the network so fast it's not funny.  Why mine something that is 2-15% of BTC's value for the same effort?

I don't think you know what a 51% attack is. It's a bit more complicated than that. Read up on it.
FreeTrade
Legendary

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 04:06:00 PM

A lot of altcoins claimed that really fast blocks was a major important thing to have,

You sound skeptical . . . I am too. I use this criterion as a filter.

Membercoin - Layer 1 Coin used for the member.cash decentralized social network.
10% Interest On All Balances. Browser and Solo Mining. 100% Distributed to Users and Developers.
FreeTrade
Legendary

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 04:14:33 PM

you forget one important fact: There has to be someone out there that wants to buy them or they with be worthless, no matter how many you mine.

This truly is an important fact.

The idea that 'lots of miners = successful coin' is cargo cult thinking. You need to focus on creating demand for a new coin. Miners follow the demand.

A successful coin has a lot of miners because it has a lot of demand, not the other way around.

heatgsm

Activity: 308

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 05:19:07 PM

Gold = Gold / Silver = Silver ... Not Bitcoin nor Litecoin will replace those two elements ever !
miffman
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1005

PGP ID: 78B7B84D

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 07:04:25 PM

CGB

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
BitBlender 

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
ronimacarroni

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 08:12:28 PM

Gold = Gold / Silver = Silver ... Not Bitcoin nor Litecoin will replace those two elements ever !
well bitcoins is already worth more than silver.
Its only a matter of time before each bitcoin is worth more than 1 oz of gold.
masterOfDisaster

Activity: 321

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 09:08:55 AM

To take Bitcoin as Gold and Litecoin as Silver, I suggest Bronze to be given to PPCoin, Novacoin or Primecoin.
Litecoin is interesting, because it is one alternate coin which has (currently) a viable market capitalization that might be related to the supplemented hash function. Currently Litecoin offers something that Bitcoin doesn't. That might explain why it is at the moment one of the financial significant altcoins.

PPCoin, Novacoin and Primecoin bring something completely new to the concept of crypto coins.
Whereas PPCoin and Novacoin do this by introducing a Proof-of-Stake mechanism in addition to the well-known Proof-of-Work concept, Primecoin introduced a brand new Proof-of-Work idea.
So currently, if Bitcoin is taken Gold, Litecoin can be taken Silver and one of the 3 aforementioned altcoins can be taken Bronze.

But I doubt that this kind of ranking will ever be static. Due to the fact that there has a lot of money been invested in Bitcoin mining hardware, I assume that Bitcoin will remain economically important. Bitcoin is old enough to have proven being soundly designed and implemented. And the incredible amount of ASIC miners let me doubt it will ever be easy to mine Bitcoins. So if you want to own Bitcoins but can't mine them on your own, you have to go to an exchange and pay for them.

But regarding Silver and Bronze status I think it will take some more time to find out who will take this place - and even if the place is taken, no one can say that it will be taken forever Wink

Just my 2 cents...
joeperry

Activity: 2142
Merit: 465

Telegram: @jperryC

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 09:29:07 AM

Feathercoin maybe, worldcoin maybe, mincoin maybe,  at this point is hard to tell what could happen even next year.

When BT reach 1K $, and transacctions will have to use 0.0001 BT alt coin will have his opportunity, the first one in such race is litecoin, but I think there is room for some more.

usahero

Activity: 434

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 10:23:35 AM

It would be xpm, if it had decent gpu miner and btc-e support. But it doesn't, so it is too good for botnet operators atm.
Carra23
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

Need a campaign manager? PM me

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 12:38:55 PM

XPM or PPC or any other future Sunnyking coin. That guy keeps coming up with nice innovations.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: