Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:31:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How accurate is whattomine.com?  (Read 208 times)
vk985 (OP)

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 06:48:11 PM

Hey guys,  I just recently started mining with S9s. I've been using NiceHash pool through my awesome miner software. For testing purposes, I decided to switch one of my machines to whattomine.com's  recommendation,  which showed bitcoin making 70 cents more per day than nicehash. So I  switched to antpool. However, that machine was making just as much as the nicehash assigned machines according to awesome miner. So is whattomine.com inaccurate or it is the awesome miner?
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 07:37:25 PM

AwesomeMiner has nothing to do with speeds or pools or anything. It just controls your machine.

You need to do some more research to understand what you are doing because it sounds like you dont have a firm grasp on how pools and such work.

There are a ton of pools out there with various fees so it depends on that as well as if you are mining bitcoin, bitcoin cash, or some sha256 altcoin.

Also remember whattomine is just an aggregate site giving you estimates.

You have a bitcoin miner, just mine bitcoin. The max daily profit is meaningless since you are not converting your coins the second you mine them anyway.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
vk985 (OP)

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 08:58:34 PM

AwesomeMiner has nothing to do with speeds or pools or anything. It just controls your machine.

You need to do some more research to understand what you are doing because it sounds like you dont have a firm grasp on how pools and such work.

There are a ton of pools out there with various fees so it depends on that as well as if you are mining bitcoin, bitcoin cash, or some sha256 altcoin.

Also remember whattomine is just an aggregate site giving you estimates.

You have a bitcoin miner, just mine bitcoin. The max daily profit is meaningless since you are not converting your coins the second you mine them anyway.

Correction, I have a SHA-256 miner!
ccgllc
Copper Member

Activity: 658
Merit: 101

Math doesn't care what you believe.

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 09:00:56 PM

Awesome miner actually uses WhatToMine for its statistics by default, although you can change it to a paid site if you wish.

What WhatToMine does not appear to take into consideration is transactions fees.  That may not matter to you if you mine on one of the pools that keeps them for themselves (like Bitmain's), but it made a huge difference back in December when transaction fees pushed over 40% of the value of a Bitcoin block.  Note that Slushpool charges a flat 2% and shares the transaction fees.  http:fork.lol will show you all the stat differences between BTC and BCH - its a wonderful reference site.

Within Awesome miner, you can set a per-coin profitability factor, like 1.03%, to cause it to favor one coin over another.

Mined for a living since 2017.  Dabbled for years before that.
Linux admin since 0.96 kernel and Slackware distributions on (4) floppies...
MarkAz

Activity: 687
Merit: 511

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 09:50:33 PM

I've found WhatToMine to be pretty accurate - there is some variance as people pointed out with tx fees and pool fees, but beyond that it tracks well.  Nicehash is a bit tricky, as their listing on their is also an estimate based on them coin-hopping, so one something like SHA256 it's probably more accurate than something like equihash where the field of coins is a bit more even.  I haven't used antpool in a long time, but back in the day it used to be PPS, whereas Nicehash is PPLNS, so that would also affect your returns as you will have more 'luck' playing a factor with PPLNS.

The biggest thing to keep in mind with WhatToMine, especially with alts, is the market volume - some small alts can show awesome returns, but the volume is like $1000, so even if you mined it, it would be difficult to sell in any meaningful amount.  Beyond that I think it's a great tool...
vk985 (OP)

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 03:53:37 AM

I've found WhatToMine to be pretty accurate - there is some variance as people pointed out with tx fees and pool fees, but beyond that it tracks well.  Nicehash is a bit tricky, as their listing on their is also an estimate based on them coin-hopping, so one something like SHA256 it's probably more accurate than something like equihash where the field of coins is a bit more even.  I haven't used antpool in a long time, but back in the day it used to be PPS, whereas Nicehash is PPLNS, so that would also affect your returns as you will have more 'luck' playing a factor with PPLNS.

The biggest thing to keep in mind with WhatToMine, especially with alts, is the market volume - some small alts can show awesome returns, but the volume is like $1000, so even if you mined it, it would be difficult to sell in any meaningful amount.  Beyond that I think it's a great tool...

What pool do you use for Bitcoin mining if you don't mind me asking.
MarkAz

Activity: 687
Merit: 511

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 08:02:51 AM

What pool do you use for Bitcoin mining if you don't mind me asking.

We're doing more alts now, but either AntPool or Slush typically.  The big plus (IMO) for AntPool is PPS and they were pretty much the only place doing it, but you pay a larger percentage to get that benefit... TBH I've found most all the pools to be pretty equal, it's more about which one you kind of want to support and I don't think that Bitmain needs much help.  Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: