Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 06:23:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 15BTC Stolen - All gone, what do I do now?  (Read 3560 times)
AlisonZ (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 12:13:03 PM

So, yesterday my company's wallet was either bruteforced or somehow hacked....We lost 15BTC which was most of our coding fees down the drain.

We are not left with an abandoned project, unhappy coders and bankruptcy.

Does anyone know any ideas or have any suggestions on what to do now? Any ways of trying at least to earn the money back?

15BTC is a lot of money (in my eyes anyway) and I don't believe that it is fair for it to be taken from under my feet.

I had 2 factor auth on and my email linked...still didn't manage to protect my wallet.
I have no rat/keylogger on my PC (Mac OS X) and I have scanned multiple times.

reported to blockchain and they can't do anything about it.

If anyone can help, ANYONE, I will be GREATLY appreciative, even of your suggestions.

Thank you.

- Alison

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gollum

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 12:15:39 PM

Im sorry, You will most probably never get back those coins.
The only really secure solution is to have cold storage for the wallets.
gollum

Activity: 434

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 12:23:02 PM

http://bitcoinarmory.com/
"Armory provide a first-of-its-kind interface for easily managing offline wallets. You can create your wallet on a computer that never touches the internet, yet still manage the wallet from an online computer with minimal risk of an attacker stealing your funds. By keeping all the private-key data on the offline computer, only someone with physical access to the offline computer can steal your Bitcoin. And even if someone physically stole your offline system, it might take centuries for them to get through the advanced wallet encryption!"
hayek

Activity: 370

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 12:34:19 PM

Something does not add up.

2FA enabled? This sounds like someone with physical access did it. As in, you were logged in and they snuck on and took them while you walked away or whatnot.

But I want to talk about 'fair'. This is the epitome of fair. You're responsible for your security. Just like everyone else. If your wallet was stolen then this is a repercussion of your actions, no one else.

If that is somehow unfair then you're asking for special treatment.
dragonkid

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 12:43:33 PM

So you used blockchain online wallet? I don't trust online wallet, just in case they closed down then you no longer have your wallet.

shawshankinmate37927

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin: The People's Bailout

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 12:51:34 PM

So, yesterday my company's wallet was either bruteforced or somehow hacked....We lost 15BTC which was most of our coding fees down the drain.

We are not left with an abandoned project, unhappy coders and bankruptcy.

Does anyone know any ideas or have any suggestions on what to do now? Any ways of trying at least to earn the money back?

15BTC is a lot of money (in my eyes anyway) and I don't believe that it is fair for it to be taken from under my feet.

I had 2 factor auth on and my email linked...still didn't manage to protect my wallet.
I have no rat/keylogger on my PC (Mac OS X) and I have scanned multiple times.

reported to blockchain and they can't do anything about it.

If anyone can help, ANYONE, I will be GREATLY appreciative, even of your suggestions.

Thank you.

- Alison

What address were they stolen from?

"It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning."   - Henry Ford
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 01:11:28 PM

If your blockchain wallet with 2FA was hacked, you probably do have malware on your computer.

How are you sure that your computer doesn't have a rat? For one, there's a $30 Java RAT that is undetected.
prezbo

Activity: 430

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 01:21:19 PM

So you used blockchain online wallet? I don't trust online wallet, just in case they closed down then you no longer have your wallet.
That is why you always make a backup.

AlisonZ, like people have said before me, the only 100% (not really but close enough) sure way of not having your funds stolen is to have your wallet completely detached from the internet. That can be done with either armory or electrum wallets.
fuggedit

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

Do as I say to do--But don't. (Mind Blown)

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2013, 01:26:05 PM

Saw this a coming mile away.....hopefully noone lent you that

greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 03:33:32 PM

We lost 15BTC which

[...]

bankruptcy.

laff
DELTA9

Activity: 102
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 03:54:01 PM

We lost 15BTC which

[...]

bankruptcy.

laff
Haha not cool man people like you need to shut up this guy just lost all of his funds for his coding and you are laughing? Fuckin people..
matt608

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 04:32:02 PM

Sorry to hear that, I don't think there's anything much you can do to get it back.  If you're in Hong Kong I heard someone say something about reporting bitcoin thefts to cybercrime but other than that it's gone.
cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 04:43:31 PM

Check my sig for offline wallet instructions.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 04:46:29 PM

We lost 15BTC which

[...]

bankruptcy.

laff
Haha not cool man people like you need to shut up this guy just lost all of his funds for his coding and you are laughing? Fuckin people..

You should probably read more. For instance the threads where this guy is outed a scammer, you easy target.

Also, again: "all of this funds for his coding" ... "15 BTC" .... laff
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 04:52:49 PM

You should probably read more. For instance the threads where this guy is outed a scammer, you easy target.

Also, again: "all of this funds for his coding" ... "15 BTC" .... laff

How could you doubt this poor victim after reading their lengthy and creditable post history?

WikileaksDude

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 05:04:20 PM

OP has a scam account

beware!
digit
Legendary

Activity: 1672
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2013, 05:06:42 PM

no one notice that (s)he will b "GREATLY Appreciative",  wink wink nudge nudge Cheesy

Stay Safe and use NO KYC exchanges ■ Craig Wright is NOT Satoshi  ■
BTC:1DigitwteXwFcRAaWpVDRp6eKqzC6y9tgm ■ ŁTC:LKMcEHoFWHAUoRscqW1cwjhLgFrk7MgCWU ■ Coinkit:digit ■ §digit
davidgdg

Activity: 551
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 05:12:56 PM

This is hysterically funny. This same lady posted recently that:

"I may be new here, but my intentions are quite clear and I plan on being here to make successful business with future business partners.
A highly experience team of professional programmers and marketers, along with myself, are in the process of developing a NEW Online wallet solution that is quick, easy and extremely profitable for future users."

Now she manages to lose her BTC from her online wallet and has never heard of cold storage. Doesn't exactly inspire trust in her "New online wallet solution"

"There is only one thing that is seriously morally wrong with the world, and that is politics. By 'politics' I mean all that, and only what, involves the State." Jan Lester "Escape from Leviathan"
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 05:16:37 PM

You are using Blockchain.info's My Wallet then?  If so, know that the wallet isn't encrypted with two factor, and instead that 2FA is only used to restrict access to your account from the website.   So if you had any wallet backups (wallet.aes.json file) anywhere (e.g., in an e-mail inbox) they could be decrypted simply with the password by anyone with access to that backup.

Online wallets, such as Blockchain.info (a hybrid online E-Wallet), Inputs.io (a hosted / shared E-Wallet), and exchange accounts (e.g., the E-Wallet at BITSTAMP) are great for their convenience but that convenience comes with a trade-off for security.  As such, the amount of funds stored with them should be limited to whatever amount is needed for spending, trading, etc., and the funds held for longer term investment / storage should be stored locally on a secure system or in cold storage / offline preferably.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █