Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 03:27:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Starting to mine in Austin Texas  (Read 253 times)
mojominer (OP)
Copper Member

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 07:20:20 AM

Hi!

I have just started to mine and found lots of useful posts in here. However i think i have maybe outgrown my capacity. I have 10 rigs in my small one bedroom apartment and I have the AC turned on 24/7 even in a 65 degree weather... I have tried grow tent, standing AC, negative pressure, but in vain. Anyone has any tips? Also the summer in Texas gets pretty hot too... Any experience on how i can deal with that weather? Thank! Greatly appreciated!

Mojominer

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Sandal_Hat

Activity: 462
Merit: 118

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 03:36:14 PM

Hi!

I have just started to mine and found lots of useful posts in here. However i think i have maybe outgrown my capacity. I have 10 rigs in my small one bedroom apartment and I have the AC turned on 24/7 even in a 65 degree weather... I have tried grow tent, standing AC, negative pressure, but in vain. Anyone has any tips? Also the summer in Texas gets pretty hot too... Any experience on how i can deal with that weather? Thank! Greatly appreciated!

Mojominer

How did u deal with the noise and heat? AC isnt a good idea. U should go for alot of fans for airflow.

Selling 100 dollar coupons (8units expire 11th June, 14 units expire 1st july) and 125 dollar coupon (2 unit exp 30th June). Selling at 20% of value
mojominer (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 04:51:34 PM

Hi!

Mojominer

How did u deal with the noise and heat? AC isnt a good idea. U should go for alot of fans for airflow.

That's what i am having issues with atm. I am using two ~400 inline fans to suck to air out from my grow tent. However I think that it's not enough for the 7 6gpu rigs i have in there.

Hopefully I sleep pretty dead and once i close my bedroom door, it's not as bad.
Raymond_B

Activity: 504
Merit: 71

Just Getting Started...

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2018, 06:16:27 PM

You're concept of cooling is flawed. It is not efficient to try to "cool" the miners. What you have to deal with is getting rid of the waste heat. Two fundamentally different principals.

Also, please describe your "rigs", it looks like you're talking about GPU and this is the Bitcoin mining forum which means ASICs.

mojominer (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 07:01:50 PM

You're concept of cooling is flawed. It is not efficient to try to "cool" the miners. What you have to deal with is getting rid of the waste heat. Two fundamentally different principals.

Also, please describe your "rigs", it looks like you're talking about GPU and this is the Bitcoin mining forum which means ASICs.

right, sorry. It's a 6 gpu rig with open air frame. I have 1060s to 1080ti in there. A rig runs around 800-900kW.
Sandal_Hat

Activity: 462
Merit: 118

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 03:21:56 AM
Last edit: February 17, 2018, 03:44:07 AM by Sandal_Hat

Hi!

Mojominer

That's what i am having issues with atm. I am using two ~400 inline fans to suck to air out from my grow tent. However I think that it's not enough for the 7 6gpu rigs i have in there.

Hopefully I sleep pretty dead and once i close my bedroom door, it's not as bad.

U should do somethin about the noise. Over may hours or days, it could drive u psychologically nuts if u keep enduring it. It is not healthy to endure this 24/7 at home.

Wat u need is stronger fans and maybe some high density rockwool to block the noise so it does not harm your health. Well, GPU noise isnt so bad compared to asics. So, sound wise, u may be ok.
Consider underclocking the gpu if it gets too bad. Besides air-con, there is nothing much u can do. However I dont think adding more air-conditioners are worth it. It may be better to just underclock in summer.

Selling 100 dollar coupons (8units expire 11th June, 14 units expire 1st july) and 125 dollar coupon (2 unit exp 30th June). Selling at 20% of value
FatAnt

Activity: 86

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 03:55:27 AM

right, sorry. It's a 6 gpu rig with open air frame. I have 1060s to 1080ti in there. A rig runs around 800-900kW.

If your rigs are using 800-900kW power, no wonder you have heat problems.  That's about 256 Tons Of Air Conditioning.  900kW at 240Vac, .9pf = ~ 4100 Amps?  This is not in an apartment, or your power consumption numbers are off.
atxminer

Activity: 1

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 04:51:44 AM

We are in Austin and are considering hosting miners in our warehouse if you are interested. MOJO miner, are you from Odessa?
mojominer (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile
February 18, 2018, 11:42:44 PM

We are in Austin and are considering hosting miners in our warehouse if you are interested. MOJO miner, are you from Odessa?
I am actually in Austin! Shoot me a pm, let's talk about it.
mojominer (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile
February 18, 2018, 11:47:04 PM

If your rigs are using 800-900kW power, no wonder you have heat problems.  That's about 256 Tons Of Air Conditioning.  900kW at 240Vac, .9pf = ~ 4100 Amps?  This is not in an apartment, or your power consumption numbers are off.
I think i was off in my metrics again... A single gpu rig 6 gpus, in total it should consume around 800-900W, not kW... I am consuming around 210kWh per day according to my electric company.
mojominer (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile
February 18, 2018, 11:59:07 PM

U should do somethin about the noise. Over may hours or days, it could drive u psychologically nuts if u keep enduring it. It is not healthy to endure this 24/7 at home.

Wat u need is stronger fans and maybe some high density rockwool to block the noise so it does not harm your health. Well, GPU noise isnt so bad compared to asics. So, sound wise, u may be ok.
Consider underclocking the gpu if it gets too bad. Besides air-con, there is nothing much u can do. However I dont think adding more air-conditioners are worth it. It may be better to just underclock in summer.

What do you think of this set up? This potentially could host 9 rigs, or 18 if i do two rows. I would be moving around 3000 CFM in. I haven't decided yet if i need to do the same on the intake, or just use negative pressure. I would use those extra input on the bottom and point them outside.

ltcsprite

Activity: 269
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 12:02:28 AM

What do you think of this set up? This potentially could host 9 rigs, or 18 if i do two rows. I would be moving around 3000 CFM in. I haven't decided yet if i need to do the same on the intake, or just use negative pressure. I would use those extra input on the bottom and point them outside.

With that much CFM you definitely won't need any intake fans, lol.   That tent will be sucking itself inward with all of the negative pressure.

4 fans total? or 2 fans total?   

FYI Intake should be approx 2x what the exhaust is.

mojominer (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 12:09:45 AM

With that much CFM you definitely won't need any intake fans, lol.   That tent will be sucking itself inward with all of the negative pressure.

Intake should be twice the exhaust? So for 3000CFM hot air exhaust, i need 6000CFM intake? Wouldn't that create positive pressure? I thought negative would be better?
ltcsprite

Activity: 269
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 12:13:58 AM

Intake should be twice the exhaust? So for 3000CFM hot air exhaust, i need 6000CFM intake? Wouldn't that create positive pressure? I thought negative would be better?

I calculate based on total inches/volume.   Yes intake should be twice the volume as the exhaust for proper negative pressure.   Same thing weed growers do to prevent odor/smells, keeps the air flowing in one direction only through a filter that gets rid of the smell.   They use this same system.

You can buy flange kits up to 12" in duct size and customize/add them to your tent.
mojominer (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 01:29:58 AM

^^^ This is just not correct at all... ^^^

With positive pressure (more going in than coming out) the hot air in the grow tent will be forced out of any gaps that may exist (zips, doors etc.). You want NEGATIVE pressure inside the grow tent. That means that all the hot air is removed by the fans sucking air out and is not forced into the room.

To be honest, you don't really need intake fans... If you have exhaust fans, the negative pressure will suck air from the room into the grow tent, making the intake fans relatively unecessary

Yes, i was wondering how would that affect the room though. With that much amount of air being sucked out, wouldn't it make the room extremely dry or something else? I guess i need to keep some ventilation on in the room too.
mojominer (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 01:31:38 AM

I calculate based on total inches/volume.   Yes intake should be twice the volume as the exhaust for proper negative pressure.   Same thing weed growers do to prevent odor/smells, keeps the air flowing in one direction only through a filter that gets rid of the smell.   They use this same system.

You can buy flange kits up to 12" in duct size and customize/add them to your tent.
I am pretty sure you meant the other way around... More air going out then going in for negative pressure... Otherwise it doesn't make sense...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: