Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 05:54:36 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New to bitcoin and trying to write and article  (Read 934 times)
kburns (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 07:32:49 PM
Last edit: September 17, 2013, 11:08:18 PM by kburns

OK so our editor asked if someone could write an article about this new craze. So thinking it would be a piece of cake - i.e. buy some bitcoin, trade the bit-coin for something and write the article; I said I'd give it a shot. Well come to find out this is really a hard currency to come by. So far the only easy part was creating a "wallet" with blockchain.info. Trying to actually accumulate this pesky bitcoins is a giant headache I was not prepared for. Here is what I have been doing as of this moment:

I have three pc's running constantly - two pc's are using their 4 core processors and one pc using an eight core graphics processor. They are each using a separate worker from the Slush's pool "miners pool".
I have been going to Daily Bitcoin once an hour for 12 hours each day to get the free 0.0001 bit-coin.
I have been going to all the faucets on Coinbox.me every half hour for 12 hours a day.
I have been doing all the "tasks" and "videos" that are available on Bitcoinget every day.

I have been doing all this for two weeks straight and I have only accumulated "0.01211964 BTC or $1.54". I have been working my ass off here and it is getting close to my article deadline and I have yet to create enough money to actually purchase anything. I have even tried to buy bitcoins from BitInstant (there shut down) Bitstamp (they don't allow credit cards) and Mt.Gox (I'm not convinced they will take credit cards either).

So I am sending this S.O.S to the bitcoin community. Can anyone tell me of a quicker way to get .5 of a bitcoin? I have seen that a lot a people ask for handouts, I hate to be one of those guys but I'm running out of options. So here is my wallet address if anyone is feeling generous "address removed" and here is my email if anyone wants to send me some tips directly - kburns1@gmx.com. I want to thank all of you in advance who even read this post.

MOD NOTE:
Removed the address because I don't know if this is legit, seems to be begging which is not allowed
Baitty

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

Currently held as collateral by monbux

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 07:33:43 PM

Welcome to the board. Seems you have done some research on Bitcoin

kburns (OP)

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 07:39:56 PM

Thank you baitty.
Baitty

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 07:42:47 PM

Bitcoin can be a giant headache. Also no problem. lol

tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 10:16:18 PM

If you're looking to buy bitcoins check out localbitcoins.com (can buy with cash deposits, sometimes even paypal) and coinbase.com (buying using your bank account)
Stinky_Pete

Activity: 560

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 10:30:18 PM

If it was a fiat currency would you expect to get some coins for free?
If it was a fiat currency for a small country on the other side of the world would you expect to be able to buy some easily?

Seems to me that you have enough for your article.

kburns (OP)

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 10:34:15 PM

Thank you for the suggestion tysat. However, I feel that one of the key features of the bit-coin is that you can buy and sell anonymously. So any site that wants me to give information from my personal banking account would defeat the purpose of anonymity.
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3276
Merit: 4111

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 10:36:11 PM

Thank you for the suggestion tysat. However, I feel that one of the key features of the bit-coin is that you can buy and sell anonymously. So any site that wants me to give information from my personal banking account would defeat the purpose of anonymity.

You can try faucets out if you are looking for very little amounts, as I see you were looking for "Donations". However, use a exchange or localbitcoins to buy/sell Bitcoin. They are the most used. You can also deal here on the forums. But, be careful and only deal if you have a escrow and a trusted seller.
kburns (OP)

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 10:42:50 PM

Thank you for the responsive Stinky_Pete. I also think I'm close to finished with some aspects of my article. But to really show the value of a bit-coin shouldn't I be able to buy something with it? And as it stands all I have managed to do is acquire is $1.45 worth of bit-coin. I don't believe I can buy anything with that amount.
natbyte

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 10:48:11 PM

Its not bit-coin, stop adding a hyphen if you are going to write an article at least get the name correct  Wink
Baitty

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 10:55:52 PM

I know that Inputs.io has a built in mixer. I'm not sure about Blockchain.

kburns (OP)

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 10:56:40 PM

Thank you natbyte. Where I could I fixed my spelling to "Bitcoin".
greyhawk

Activity: 952
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 11:02:54 PM

So, we've got here a "writer"
- whose research is so flaky he's able to name neither the currency correctly nor the site where he's trying to create a wallet
- whose punctuation and spelling is atrocious and
- who uses a GMX address
begging for handouts.

Seems legit.
kburns (OP)

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 11:07:10 PM

Oh ho ho, Thank you gweedo. I love it when I'm given new content to write about. I totally missed the concept of "Mixers". I am reading up on it now.
kburns (OP)

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 11:13:34 PM

Thanks for the input greyhawk. I changed the incorrect reference for my wallet. I had it as blockchain.org when it should be blockchain.info.
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 11:28:02 PM

Oh ho ho, Thank you gweedo. I love it when I'm given new content to write about. I totally missed the concept of "Mixers". I am reading up on it now.

That is one of the great things about bitcoins, the rabbit hole is deep and you can spend hours/days/weeks/years trying to get to the bottom. Curious what place are you writing the article for? PM me if you want it private.
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 11:30:02 PM

If you're actually a writer, PM me some proof.  So far this just seems like a troll account.
Bartolomayo

Activity: 1

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 11:45:40 PM

If you've got a week you can set up an account at coinbase. It takes a few days for them to verify your bank account and then it takes 4 days to process purchases. 30 days after your first purchase and further verifications you'll be able to buy and sell 10 btc a week instantly. That probably won't do you any good but you should set up an account there anyway so you can have it for the future.

Your only real option for getting coins within 24 hours is localbitcoins. Just meet a seller near you and buy them in person, you can then interview the seller and get material for your article. Good luck.
kburns (OP)

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 03:32:59 AM

Thanks to everyone for their input. I got some very good suggestions. I would like to send a special thank you to Bartolomayo and tysat for recommending localbitcoins.com. Early on in my research I did the inevitable Craigslist look-up. I found there was one person that lived in my area that was wanting to sell some bitcoin. As I was still leery about how I could be sure I got my bitcoin after paying cash, I didn't pursue it then. But I see that the some poster for Craigslist has an account in good standing with localbitcoins.com. So I have emailed him/her and I'm waiting for a email back. This forum was a great help. Keep up the good work.

For Moderator: This topic is now closed. Remove at your leisure.
nahtnam
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2013, 04:39:14 AM

Welcome! You are best off just buying g Bitcoin and selling it when you are done either it...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: