Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 09:12:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do these PCI slots not accept my GPU risers?  (Read 189 times)
xberg (OP)

Activity: 159
Merit: 5

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 12:25:39 PM

Why do the following 2 PCI slots not accept any graphic card risers? See image:

When I plug a riser in them I can't boot. None of the other GPU ventilators spin.

this is an ASUS PRIME B250 PLUS motherboard. These 2 slots are simply labeled PCI1 and PCI2. Does this mean I cannot use graphic cards in these slots?

Bonus question: the motherboard also has 2 M2 slots. Could I potentially purchase M2 to PCIe adapters and power another 2 cards through them?
thanks
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
toxiroxi

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 12:29:13 PM

Yes you can definetly use the m2 to pcie adapters to connect 2 more cards. that's how i run all my rigs with 8 cards (asus z270 -p) - i bought them on ebay for a few bucks.
be careful with bios settings - they need to set to PCIE forced and gen2 otherwise they won't work.
malthrax

Activity: 182

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 12:31:50 PM

https://image.prntscr.com/image/nrnxtUS-RHqLOLzW6Uq5bw.png

When I plug a riser in them I can't boot. None of the other GPU ventilators spin.

this is an ASUS PRIME B250 PLUS motherboard. These 2 slots are simply labeled PCI1 and PCI2. Does this mean I cannot use graphic cards in these slots?

Bonus question: the motherboard also has 2 M2 slots. Could I potentially purchase M2 to PCIe adapters and power another 2 cards through them?
thanks

Because those are PCI slots, not PCI Express.

Risers/GPUs go in PCI EXPRESS slots.

There hasn't been a PCI GPU in almost a decade.
giveen1

Activity: 70

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 12:33:16 PM

https://image.prntscr.com/image/nrnxtUS-RHqLOLzW6Uq5bw.png

thanks

I sure hope you didn't fry your motherboard if you plugged riser cables and GPU's into your PCI slots, lol.
manji

Activity: 210
Merit: 174

BookiePro.Fun - The World's Betting Exchange

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 01:03:20 PM

PCI for the sound card, LAN card, and old GPU. There's actually a converter PCI to PCIe but transfer speed doesn't faster than PCIe. usually GPUs to mining using PCIex1 and PCIex16.

thanks
Yes, purchase M2 to PCIe adapter.

xberg (OP)

Activity: 159
Merit: 5

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 02:13:19 PM

Thank you all: crystal clear now!
generalheed

Activity: 42

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 02:17:45 PM

Out of curiosity, what GPU are you using that's still PCI based?
retard75

Activity: 102
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 03:05:01 PM

I sure hope you didn't fry your motherboard if you plugged riser cables and GPU's into your PCI slots, lol.

Just stumbled over your comment and I want to contribute the hilarious fact that I managed to plug
a PCI-E power connector the wrong way around on the  mainboard (the one which extra-powers the pci-e slots
on the H81 BTC).  Roll Eyes

Except for big questions marks hovering over my head b/c the rig kept quiet for seemingly no reason no harm was done.  Cheesy
These hardware is more sturdy than one would expect.  Cool
giveen1

Activity: 70

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 03:08:44 PM

Just stumbled over your comment and I want to contribute the hilarious fact that I managed to plug
a PCI-E power connector the wrong way around on the  mainboard (the one which extra-powers the pci-e slots
on the H81 BTC).  Roll Eyes

Except for big questions marks hovering over my head b/c the rig kept quiet for seemingly no reason no harm was done.  Cheesy
These hardware is more sturdy than one would expect.  Cool

Thats good to hear Smiley
Rune_Coin
Copper Member

Activity: 14

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 03:34:06 PM

thanks

You can change your motherboard, Asus H270 Prime Plus is good for 6~8 GPUs
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: