Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 12:19:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Im about to order a Blade Miner- What do i need  (Read 1973 times)
i3lome (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 12:47:49 AM

Im looking into ordering a 1 blade miner.

What will i need to get it mining when it shows up.
PSU- Which one? Right now I just need enough juice for 1.
Cables-etc

What should i have on hand when I get it to make it work. I can find a guide or instructions anywhere.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Taugeran

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

CCNA: There i fixed the internet.

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 01:52:41 AM

Cables-etc

What should i have on hand when I get it to make it work. I can find a guide or instructions anywhere.

first a random question. do you have access to an unused xbox 360 power brick? this will determine the req'd materials for a single (1) blade

Bitfury HW & Habañero : 1.625Th/s
tips/Donations: 1NoS89H3Mr6U5CmP4VwWzU2318JEMxHL1
Come join Coinbase
i3lome (OP)

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 01:55:15 AM

Cables-etc

first a random question. do you have access to an unused xbox 360 power brick? this will determine the req'd materials for a single (1) blade

Nope now power brick, but if that is my best best I know where to get one
Taugeran

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 02:02:40 AM
Last edit: September 15, 2013, 02:35:04 AM by Taugeran

Cables-etc

nah just curious as it would save a bit on time and money.

Items:

optionally you could build a pvc/pipe rack to hold the blade, psu and allow for expansion.

if you want to go the Xbox PSU route there is a bit of hardware hacking req'd and id be happy to direct you to a guide or write one

will edit with links to items from new egg in a few minutes

Come join Coinbase
i3lome (OP)

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 02:15:46 AM

Cables-etc

nah just curious as it would save a bit on time and money.

Items:
  • fans
  • a nice quality PSU

if you want to go the Xbox PSU route there is a bit of hardware hacking req'd and id be happy to direct you to a guide or write one

will edit with links to items from new egg in a few minutes

Koo, thank you. Which ever way you think would be the best Im willing to try.  The way its looking, I will have a week to get ready before I get the blade, I requested a loan so I can order it early before stock runs out but I don't think it will come threw. I get paid 9/25/2013 so that will be the day I order it unless the loan comes through.
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 10:48:04 AM

Ask your reseller if they include a phoenix 4 pin power connector. You'll have trouble hooking it up to a pc power supply without one.

I resell ASICMINER for Australia/NZ and the blades arrive from China without these, so I add them for those who buy less than 10 blades.
These phoenix connectors are pretty common and you should be able to pick one up at an electronics hobbyist store for $5 or less.

If you're buying 10 blades at once - you'll probably get a power-backplane board included so you won't need the phoenix connector.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
Taugeran

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 10:55:25 PM

Ask your reseller if they include a phoenix 4 pin power connector. You'll have trouble hooking it up to a pc power supply without one.

I resell ASICMINER for Australia/NZ and the blades arrive from China without these, so I add them for those who buy less than 10 blades.
These phoenix connectors are pretty common and you should be able to pick one up at an electronics hobbyist store for $5 or less.

If you're buying 10 blades at once - you'll probably get a power-backplane board included so you won't need the phoenix connector.

+1 forgot about that

Come join Coinbase
i3lome (OP)

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 11:05:44 PM

+1 forgot about that

Thank you for that, will Radio Shack have the phoenix 4 pin power connector. If they do have it, I should have everything I need to get going once it arrives. Would it be ok to PM you guys if I have issues setting it up when the time comes
Taugeran

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 02:28:45 AM

Thank you for that, will Radio Shack have the phoenix 4 pin power connector. If they do have it, I should have everything I need to get going once it arrives. Would it be ok to PM you guys if I have issues setting it up when the time comes

absolutely Smiley

Come join Coinbase
HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 08:18:48 AM

I bought a pair of 6-pin PCI-E extension leads.  Cut one end off, stripped, twisted and soldered the wires together.  Plug in to PCI-E connections on PSU, jump green and black wire on the ATX connector, job done.

Got two blades, my fan controller (running 6 fans), two USB hubs for my Block Erupters, and a miniITX machine all running off an old 500W PSU.  Whole lot draws less than 350W from the wall.
i3lome (OP)

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 08:23:25 AM

I bought a pair of 6-pin PCI-E extension leads.  Cut one end off, stripped, twisted and soldered the wires together.  Plug in to PCI-E connections on PSU, jump green and black wire on the ATX connector, job done.

Got two blades, my fan controller (running 6 fans), two USB hubs for my Block Erupters, and a miniITX machine all running off an old 500W PSU.  Whole lot draws less than 350W from the wall.
Nice setup, if you have time would you be able to post a pic, mostly of the wiring job if you can. Im better a replication from a visual. My learning method is ususal fail then learn to fix. Id rather shock the piss out myself then ruin a blade. THanks for you time
HellDiverUK

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 09:25:53 AM

Yeah, no problems, I'll take a pic this evening if I remember. Smiley
SpacemanGalaxy

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 03:57:41 AM

Yeah, no problems, I'll take a pic this evening if I remember. Smiley

Bump. I'd be interested in seeing that pic too.
xstr8guy

Activity: 784
Merit: 1004

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 06:47:07 AM

Everything you need to know is here...

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=205369.0

HellDiverUK

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 07:36:26 AM

I'll try and remember later.  I thought I had the pics on my phone, but seems I actually took them with my camera, so can't post them now. Embarrassed
i3lome (OP)

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 09:21:58 AM

I'll try and remember later.  I thought I had the pics on my phone, but seems I actually took them with my camera, so can't post them now. Embarrassed
I forgot to update the post. I got it up and running. It was a whole lot simpler than the guide lead on to be. Had it up and hashing in 20 mins.

Runs cool to the touch and power supply wires done even get a little bit warm. So everything worked our really well
Taugeran

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 04:22:18 PM

I forgot to update the post. I got it up and running. It was a whole lot simpler than the guide lead on to be. Had it up and hashing in 20 mins.

Runs cool to the touch and power supply wires done even get a little bit warm. So everything worked our really well

woowoo congrats. Cheesy

Come join Coinbase
EzCheese

Activity: 137

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 07:39:56 PM

My blade showed up the day the forum went down, thank god I pulled up the setup post on my ipad before this place went black. 

The only issue i'm having is keeping the wires screwed tight into the the little green power plug.  Do I need to screw them in tighter, i'm afraid i'll strip out the plastic.
i3lome (OP)

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 07:16:54 AM

My blade showed up the day the forum went down, thank god I pulled up the setup post on my ipad before this place went black. 

The only issue i'm having is keeping the wires screwed tight into the the little green power plug.  Do I need to screw them in tighter, i'm afraid i'll strip out the plastic.
I haven't had a issue with that. When you unscrew it a little metal clamp opens up. stick the wires in there and Turn the screw the other direction you should see the metal clip moving.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: