Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:56:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Super Bowl Commercial for bitcoin?  (Read 3000 times)
coastermonger (OP)

Activity: 367
Merit: 250

Find me at Bitrated

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 08:57:09 PM

VISA, Mastercard, and Capital One have dominated the public sphere for too long. Imagine a smart bitcoin ad that could introduce people to the idea that there's an alternative to all the credit card bull.  

A 30 second TV spot would reach 100-120 million (mostly American) viewers.  This would likely cost 24,000 BTC (3 million USD) at current exchange rates.  

A competition could be held within the BTC community to vote on whichever ad they think is most worthy for the spot.  It would be good idea to get an escrow system set up so that if the donation threshold is not met, then the donations are refunded. It would be even CRAZIER if there was some kind of implementation to run a faucet that starts when the commercial airs, billing it as "the only commercial ad that pays YOU to watch it!"  

If we can't get to it for this year's superbowl then I'm optimistic, it will likely be even more feasible in the years to come if Bitcoin sticks around and grows in value.  We could try in 2015 and the cost would probably be closer to 2,400 BTC  Cheesy

Bitrated user: Rees.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
The Goat Master

Activity: 868
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 08:58:29 PM

VISA, Mastercard, and Capital One have dominated the public sphere for too long. Imagine a smart bitcoin ad that could introduce people to the idea that there's an alternative to all the bull.  

A 30 second TV spot would reach 100-120 million (mostly American) viewers.  This would likely cost 24,000 BTC (3 million USD) at current exchange rates.  

A competition could be held within the BTC community to vote on whichever ad they think is most worthy for the spot.  It would be good idea to get an escrow system set up so that if the donation threshold is not met, then the donations are refunded. It would be even CRAZIER if there was some kind of implementation to run a faucet that starts when the commercial airs, billing it as "the only commercial ad that pays YOU to watch it!"  

If we can't get to it for this year's superbowl then I'm optimistic, it will likely be even more feasible in the years to come if Bitcoin sticks around and grows in value.  

That would be awesome!  Doesn't the foundation have 1,000,000 BTC or something?  They could fund it.

██
         ▄▄▀  ▀▄
        ▄▀▀▄▄▄  ▀▄
      ▄██▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▀▄
    ▄▀ █  ▄▄▀▀ █  █ ▀▄▄
  ▄▀  ██▀█ ▄▀▀▄ █ █  █▀▄
██   █ █▐▌█ ██ █ ██ █   ██
  ▀▄█  █ █ ▀▄▄▀▄▄███  ▄▀
   ▀▀▄ █▄▄█▄█▀▀   █ ▄▀
      ▀▄▀▀▄▄ ▀▀▀▀██▀
        ▀▄  ▀▀▄▄▄▀
          ▀▄  ▄▀▀
            ██
    ▄▄███████▄▄
  ▄███▀▀   ▀▀███▄
 ███▀         ▀▀
███
███
███
 ███▄         ▄▄
  ▀███▄▄   ▄▄███▀
    ▀▀███████▀▀
██████████▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███▄
          ▀██▌
          ▄██▌
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
██████████▀
██▌    ▀███▄
██▌      ▀███▄
██▌        ▀███
█████████████

█████████████

█████████████
        ██
       ████
      ██▌▐██
     ██▌  ▐██
    ██▌    ▐██
   ██▌      ▐██
  ██▌        ▐██
 ██▌          ▐██
██▌    ███████████
██████████████▌
      ██▌
      ██▌
      ██▌
      ██▌
      ██▌
      ██▌
      ██▌
      ██▌
    ▄▄███████▄▄
  ▄███▀▀   ▀▀███▄
 ███▀         ▀███
███             ███
███             ███
███             ███
 ███▄         ▄███
  ▀███▄▄   ▄▄███▀
    ▀▀███████▀▀
██████████▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███▄
          ▀██▌
          ▄██▌
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
██████████▀
██▌    ▀███▄
██▌      ▀███▄
██▌        ▀███

▄▄
████
 ▀▀
        ██
       ████
      ██▌▐██
     ██▌  ▐██
    ██▌    ▐██
   ██▌      ▐██
  ██▌        ▐██
 ██▌          ▐██
██▌    ███████████
██▌
██▌
██▌
██▌
██▌
██▌
██▌
██▌
██▌
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███

███
███
.▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    WHITEPAPER    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀.
FACEBOOK       REDDIT       TELEGRAM
BITCOINTALK   TWITTER   INSTAGRAM
AmDD
Legendary

Activity: 1027
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 08:59:44 PM

Would be very cool!  Grin The problem is the massive cost of doing so.

Id like to see other opinions tho!

BTC tip jar: 18EKpbrcXxbpzAZv3T58ccGcVis7W7JR9w
LTC tip jar: Lgp8ERykAgx6Q8NdMqpi5vnVoUMD2hYn2a
alp

Activity: 284
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 09:00:20 PM

VISA, Mastercard, and Capital One have dominated the public sphere for too long. Imagine a smart bitcoin ad that could introduce people to the idea that there's an alternative to all the bull.  

If we can't get to it for this year's superbowl then I'm optimistic, it will likely be even more feasible in the years to come if Bitcoin sticks around and grows in value.  

That would be awesome!  Doesn't the foundation have 1,000,000 BTC or something?  They could fund it.

The foundation could also flush the private key for 24,000 coins down a toilet too, and it would be equally as productive.

I am looking for a good signature. Here could be your advertisement
SPC_Bitcoin

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Coffee makes it all better!

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 09:04:51 PM

http://youtu.be/YYD2vPIg-Sc

VACATE WALL STREET

NEVER GOT PAID.
will1982

Activity: 122
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 09:20:01 PM

The foundation could also flush the private key for 24,000 coins down a toilet too, and it would be equally as productive.

Yes, at this point, bitcoin is probably not ready to be adopted by the general public. Still too complicated, especially to buy/sell.
coastermonger (OP)

Find me at Bitrated

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 09:21:43 PM

For every bitcent spent, the ad would reach about 45 people.  If we can brainstorm up a better PR distribution then I'm all for it.

marcotheminer
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1049

┴puoʎǝq ʞool┴

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 09:29:32 PM

There would be ALOT of newcomers coming in and being confused. I have a feeling many will invest and lose either their wallets or just get lost :/
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4465

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 09:35:54 PM

For every bitcent spent, the ad would reach about 45 people.  If we can brainstorm up a better PR distribution then I'm all for it.

advertising bitcoin is like advertising the Pound, Euro, Dollar. bitcoin itself is not ready for mass adoption of 'users', iit still needs more main-streaming from merchants. so if anything was to be advertised it would have to be the payment gateways for merchants to do transactions.

and with that there needs to be a bigger diverse method of a merchant turning a bitcoin into a Fiat to then restock their shelves. relying on bitpay alone is too centralised, there needs to be a ACTUAL service for every country. and not a dollar dominant service which then converts to foreign FIAT at high costs and delay..

the average customer see's bitcoin as 'facebook credits' but without the facebook part. yes they know they can buy credits and use those credits online to buy different things, but it is still a hassle to go through that process.

there really needs to be a big push to get FIAT into bitcoin and bitcoin into FIAT as easily as possible, with least fee's as possible before bitcoin is even worthy of having a prime time advertising spot.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
RoadToHell

Activity: 260

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 09:38:09 PM

I'd like to see short spots that show off the state of fiat currencies.  No need to mention bitcoin directly.  There are other organizations that might be willing to contribute.  Something like this near the end of the game would be nice.  (Switch Euros and other currencies for Dollars in the appropriate regions):

Dollars printed by U.S. since kickoff today:
     xxx,xxx

Dollars printed by U.S. since 1/1/2014
     xx,xxx,xxx,xxx

Total U.S. dollars in circulation:
     xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx

Total U.S. dollars backed by gold or silver:

(I don't know what the actual numbers would be, so "x" above is obviously a placeholder for what would be researched values.)

Sam Spade: We were talking about a lot more money than this.
Kasper Gutman: Yes, sir, we were, but this is genuine coin of the realm. With a dollar of this, you can buy ten dollars of talk.
RoadToHell

Activity: 260

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 09:43:29 PM

I'd like to see short spots that show off the state of fiat currencies.  No need to mention bitcoin directly.  There are other organizations that might be willing to contribute.  Something like this near the end of the game would be nice.  (Switch Euros and other currencies for Dollars in the appropriate regions):

xxx,xxx

xx,xxx,xxx,xxx

(I don't know what the actual numbers would be, so "x" above is obviously a placeholder for what would be researched values.)

ugh - I meant to include - The value of $1 you saved since last year's Super Bowl:  0.xx

Sam Spade: We were talking about a lot more money than this.
Kasper Gutman: Yes, sir, we were, but this is genuine coin of the realm. With a dollar of this, you can buy ten dollars of talk.
btcinstant

Activity: 180
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 09:50:27 PM

xxx,xxx

xx,xxx,xxx,xxx

ugh - I meant to include - The value of $1 you saved since last year's Super Bowl:  0.xx

http://youtu.be/YYD2vPIg-Sc + 1
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2013, 10:17:29 PM

like that idea.

but the video is to long and "to complicated" and to quit most times. no one would watch it.

i would try a funny style or more fear style.

doof

Activity: 765
Merit: 503

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2013, 10:47:43 PM

like that idea.

but the video is to long and "to complicated" and to quit most times. no one would watch it.

i would try a funny style or more fear style.

*too long and too complicated*
mrkent

Activity: 249
Merit: 256

Try Purse Instant! https://purse.io/instant

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2013, 01:12:26 AM

If $3mil is spent on the ad, it would probably be worthwhile to spend another mil with an advertising agency (as opposed to some amateur submissions)

Spend BTCBTCBTCBTCBTCBTC @ amazon
Save 10-25% with Ƀ worldwide - PurseIO
Anonymously▃▃▃▃▃▃ ⌚Fast ⚖Safe ⓑOn Credit
Buy BTC w. Card
  Worldwide - Purse.IO
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 02:32:47 AM

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexkonrad/2013/02/02/even-with-record-prices-10-million-spot/

Probably $4 million or more actually  Undecided
fenican

Activity: 1394
Merit: 505

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 03:00:51 AM

xxx,xxx

xx,xxx,xxx,xxx

This comparison would be a bit silly.  How many satoshis have been mined since 2009?   How does the rate at which Satoshis have been mined from 2009 - 2013 compare to the rate of increase in real dollar (M2) supply?  And, last I checked, bitcoin is backed by neither gold or silver.  And, obviously, the bitcoin source code can, has, and will be modified in the future by the development team.  Hence, there is no guarantee that mintage will be capped or that the rate of production will stay constant.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2013, 04:09:48 AM

$4,444.44 per frame.

Working with that number, sell frames for $5,000 each as in group buy. A website will already be in place to take the orders, all payable via Bitcoin only, and use the same site to showcase each and every frame on a dedicated page. Sure, the ad will suck overall, but imagine the press it will receive, whereupon the website will get mega traffic.

Producing the ad would be at a minimum. The website would have to be topnotch, easy to load and navigate.

I believe there's enough average Joes with a little depth in their pocketbooks that would be wiling to dole out five grand to have their liking on a Super Bowl commercial placed somewhere between a BitPay screenshot and a bottle of Coke/Pepsi. Hell, since the ad will look like shit anyways, those that order would have the option of picking what frame number they want if it's still available.

I'm sure BFL would dole out $5K for such an ad, as well as Satoshi Dice, along with a handful of Bitcoin millionaires for prosperity reasons.

The 5K figure is based on 30 frames per second.

Can anybody provide a link to a video that depicts 30 fps of random images?
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 04:52:15 AM

An ad during SuperBowl would cause this bet to end True":

Bitcoin will be mentioned or pictured during the 2014 SuperBowl
 - http://betsofbitco.in/item?id=1197

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

coastermonger (OP)

Find me at Bitrated

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 08:33:31 AM

$4,444.44 per frame.

Working with that number, sell frames for $5,000 each as in group buy. A website will already be in place to take the orders, all payable via Bitcoin only, and use the same site to showcase each and every frame on a dedicated page. Sure, the ad will suck overall, but imagine the press it will receive, whereupon the website will get mega traffic.

Producing the ad would be at a minimum. The website would have to be topnotch, easy to load and navigate.

I believe there's enough average Joes with a little depth in their pocketbooks that would be wiling to dole out five grand to have their liking on a Super Bowl commercial placed somewhere between a BitPay screenshot and a bottle of Coke/Pepsi. Hell, since the ad will look like shit anyways, those that order would have the option of picking what frame number they want if it's still available.

I'm sure BFL would dole out $5K for such an ad, as well as Satoshi Dice, along with a handful of Bitcoin millionaires for prosperity reasons.

The 5K figure is based on 30 frames per second.

Can anybody provide a link to a video that depicts 30 fps of random images?

Actually Phinnaeus, you've made me realize there's another entirely different option for a super bowl ad.  Remember when the Miller Highlife aired a 1 second commercial that simply consisted of their spokesperson saying "Highlife?" This was the actual ad:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f83AYIJiQUw

And then they capitalized on that novelty by airing prior ads, advertising the fact that they only needed a 1 second ad:  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=qYW31meznQc

Bitcoin could do a simple, intriguing, and very short ad that consisted of a brief message and an easy to remember web address.  The website could be any number of things from an easy intro video to a small BTC faucet of sorts.

The TV spot could show the climbing value of BTC over the past few months and pose an interesting question like: "What makes bitcoin so valuable? Find out for yourself at www.[relevantaddress].com

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: