Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 04:30:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Super Bowl Commercial for bitcoin?  (Read 3001 times)
ss3katen

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 11:27:05 AM

If it somehow were to make it into the spot and get the commercial I wonder how much the price of bitcoin would fluctuate in the week after the superbowl.
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 12:39:05 PM

$4,444.44 per frame.

Working with that number, sell frames for $5,000 each as in group buy. A website will already be in place to take the orders, all payable via Bitcoin only, and use the same site to showcase each and every frame on a dedicated page. Sure, the ad will suck overall, but imagine the press it will receive, whereupon the website will get mega traffic.

Producing the ad would be at a minimum. The website would have to be topnotch, easy to load and navigate.

I believe there's enough average Joes with a little depth in their pocketbooks that would be wiling to dole out five grand to have their liking on a Super Bowl commercial placed somewhere between a BitPay screenshot and a bottle of Coke/Pepsi. Hell, since the ad will look like shit anyways, those that order would have the option of picking what frame number they want if it's still available.

I'm sure BFL would dole out $5K for such an ad, as well as Satoshi Dice, along with a handful of Bitcoin millionaires for prosperity reasons.

The 5K figure is based on 30 frames per second.

Can anybody provide a link to a video that depicts 30 fps of random images?

I like this idea, makes me wonder if there's enough interest to get something like this done...
RoadToHell

Activity: 260
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 02:33:43 PM

I'd like to see short spots that show off the state of fiat currencies.  No need to mention bitcoin directly.  There are other organizations that might be willing to contribute.  Something like this near the end of the game would be nice.  (Switch Euros and other currencies for Dollars in the appropriate regions):

Dollars printed by U.S. since kickoff today:
     xxx,xxx

Dollars printed by U.S. since 1/1/2014
     xx,xxx,xxx,xxx

Total U.S. dollars in circulation:
     xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx

Total U.S. dollars backed by gold or silver:

(I don't know what the actual numbers would be, so "x" above is obviously a placeholder for what would be researched values.)

This comparison would be a bit silly.  How many satoshis have been mined since 2009?   How does the rate at which Satoshis have been mined from 2009 - 2013 compare to the rate of increase in real dollar (M2) supply?  And, last I checked, bitcoin is backed by neither gold or silver.  And, obviously, the bitcoin source code can, has, and will be modified in the future by the development team.  Hence, there is no guarantee that mintage will be capped or that the rate of production will stay constant.

The point is not to promote bitcoin, but to help people wake up to the state of fiat currencies.  Nobody thinks bitcoin is backed by gold, but I would wager that many people (maybe most people?) believe that the U.S. dollar is.  Sure, a lot of bitcoins have been mined since 2009, but the rate is fixed and the overall number of them is fixed.  The dollar and other fiat currencies are inflationary because the governments can just keep those printing presses running 24x7.

You can't put a complete bitcoin education into a TV spot.  However you can drive home a couple points that will cause people to ask more questions.  You won't convert anyone with a TV ad.  But you can get them to ask questions about something they've always taken for granted.  The overall strategy should be to get people to search for more information.

Sam Spade: We were talking about a lot more money than this.
Kasper Gutman: Yes, sir, we were, but this is genuine coin of the realm. With a dollar of this, you can buy ten dollars of talk.
techstorm2

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 02:57:27 PM

wouldnt it make more sense, be more cost effective to use the internet to advertise, ie. Facebook/google adwords/twitter. Youd reach the rest of the world then, not just US, not everyone watches superbowl, isnt that like UK rugby but with lots of padding to protect themselves, LOL

dont all shout at once.

Tony

UK Grin

Dime 7Q3cZtyJemmE8pJsrYgX24mHnkqZX6M6hP
BTC 18vbvovBeM5ZTZqR5ZWAy75EXE7qTNipuo
Mooncoin 2QgyivUMa7Zun6oPdxeE1yry1aNp5hqrDb
LTC Lg3UYGCAe3Tb146PiMqeGNLR7bnjdM447d
Doge DPd1XejW8TabJu5gfjyKnuQYQ9Vzw1anXN
seafarer124

Activity: 302

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 03:11:49 PM

I think more merchants should be the target audience.

If merchants adopt customers will follow, customers will become inquisitive what it is all about.

I sent an email the other day to the BitPay contact in the UK asking if they could contact BullionVault.   If they could get merchants like BV on board it would open up the whole world to gold and silver using BTC.

There seems to be much talk about the USA in the forum, any promotion of BTC should be directed at the world, not just the USA.

murraypaul

Activity: 476

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 03:15:59 PM

Nobody thinks bitcoin is backed by gold, but I would wager that many people (maybe most people?) believe that the U.S. dollar is.

Seriously?
I think 99.5% of people simply don't give a damn.
They get paid in dollars, they can pay all their bills and buy all their stuff in dollars. They don't care what a dollar 'is'.
People who actually care about a gold standard are about as common as people who build survival shelters on their land, just in case.

BTC: 16TgAGdiTSsTWSsBDphebNJCFr1NT78xFW
SRC: scefi1XMhq91n3oF5FrE3HqddVvvCZP9KB
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 03:17:26 PM

Money. By the people, for the people. Bitcoin.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
World

Activity: 743
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 08:13:22 PM

Nice crazy idea   Grin
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/17f63u/10_contest_make_a_bitcointhemed_i_am_a_mac_and_im/

Supporting people with beautiful creative ideas. Bitcoin is because of the developers,exchanges,merchants,miners,investors,users,machines and blockchain technologies work together.
og kush420

Activity: 1050
Merit: 110

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 08:31:59 PM

submit here: https://www.smallbusinessbiggame.com/

og kush420

Activity: 1050
Merit: 110

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 08:33:55 PM

if 1/2 of all btc users voted for one of these im sure there would be a commercial. if there was a forum announcement its possible this could actually happen.

Nagant

Activity: 3

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 09:24:03 PM

Next year.

The infrastructure's not ready yet.
gogxmagog
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1010

Ad maiora!

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 10:05:35 PM

would be a tremendous waste of money. superbowl ads cost millions of dollars and THIS--->

is who will be watching going to get more beer/visiting washroom/hitting mute and blabbing with buddies. try fishing somewhere there are actual fish to catch.
xxjs

Activity: 280

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 08:50:14 AM

Bad idea. The adoption rate is high enough.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2013, 09:17:58 AM

$4,444.44 per frame.

Working with that number, sell frames for $5,000 each as in group buy. A website will already be in place to take the orders, all payable via Bitcoin only, and use the same site to showcase each and every frame on a dedicated page. Sure, the ad will suck overall, but imagine the press it will receive, whereupon the website will get mega traffic.

Producing the ad would be at a minimum. The website would have to be topnotch, easy to load and navigate.

I believe there's enough average Joes with a little depth in their pocketbooks that would be wiling to dole out five grand to have their liking on a Super Bowl commercial placed somewhere between a BitPay screenshot and a bottle of Coke/Pepsi. Hell, since the ad will look like shit anyways, those that order would have the option of picking what frame number they want if it's still available.

I'm sure BFL would dole out $5K for such an ad, as well as Satoshi Dice, along with a handful of Bitcoin millionaires for prosperity reasons.

The 5K figure is based on 30 frames per second.

Can anybody provide a link to a video that depicts 30 fps of random images?

I like this idea, makes me wonder if there's enough interest to get something like this done...

The first 25 secords would consist of nothing but all them frames streaming by, with the last 5 seconds consisting only of the words: The previous X (whatever the number will be) frames in this commercial were paid for with BITCOIN.

No company mentioned! Now, tell me how this wouldn't be the most talked about commercial come Monday morning. Gavin would be on Good Morning America.

Here's the important question: Is there still a 30 second slot available?
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2013, 09:32:54 AM

http://variety.com/2013/tv/news/super-bowl-ads-fox-seeks-4m-for-30-second-slot-in-big-game-1200586371/

“It’s incredible the way people are attracted to live sports, and certainly the NFL is at the top of that,” Mulcahy said. “You know exactly the audience you’re getting. You can figure out the kind of return on investment, because it’s always there.” Citing an independent research study conducted a few years ago, Mulcahy estimated a $4 million investment in the Super Bowl would bring a return of between $11 million and $12 million.

That would equate to an exchange rate of $450 the week after the SB.

I wonder what the average demographics is of the average SB watcher. On par of a NASCAR fan? With 90% of them owning smartphones.
Ulysses1994XF04

Activity: 28

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 02:55:54 AM
Last edit: December 04, 2013, 03:31:37 AM by Ulysses1994XF04

VISA, Mastercard, and Capital One have dominated the public sphere for too long. Imagine a smart bitcoin ad that could introduce people to the idea that there's an alternative to all the credit card bull.  

The whole reason people get into credit cards is...

1) They want to buy things with money they do not yet have money for
2) They want to build up credit for bigger loans in the future (car loan, mortgage, small business loan, etc)
3) They're attracted to the points/rewards systems many credit card offers

I'm really new to Bitcoin, but from what I can tell, there doesn't seem to be anything in the Bitcoin world that offers these things.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: