Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:34:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you doing here?  (Read 959 times)
Wary (OP)

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Who's there?

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 10:16:05 PM

Most of polls here are answered within 24h. So people are hanging here all day through. At the same time, polls show that most of us are "buy and hold". I.e. need to visit this forum maybe once a year.

So, if we are not speculating, what are we doing at the speculation forum?  Grin

Fairplay medal of dnaleor's trading simulator. Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 10:37:22 PM

Waiting for consensus and every one to confirm "to da moon"

And also something with such potential has huge ramifications that are hard to believe or quantify leading to speculation.

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 10:49:50 PM

Most of polls here are answered within 24h. So people are hanging here all day through. At the same time, polls show that most of us are "buy and hold". I.e. need to visit this forum maybe once a year.

So, if we are not speculating, what are we doing at the speculation forum?  Grin

Is that right? Not me. (Well a small % of my coins aren't to be touched, but mostly mid-term trading here)
ScrapOfCat

Activity: 197
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 01:46:16 AM

I won't lie, as a buy and holder I come in here to whoop it up when the price is rising because it's fun.

Then I disappear when it's going down because it's depressing...

Squander electricity on piffle: 1CLQajy22Z2n9YjZurFfPaKApcqsQa8BzK
600watt
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 07:38:47 PM

buy & hold is speculating. one decides NOT to sell. every day. i would not agree that the only speculators are the daytraders. i am on buy & hold, but i keep checking this forum to be prepared for panic sells... Wink
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 08:11:47 PM

buy & hold is speculating. one decides NOT to sell. every day. i would not agree that the only speculators are the daytraders. i am on buy & hold, but i keep checking this forum to be prepared for panic sells... Wink

Not necessarily.  It may not be common for most users of this forum, but it is indeed possible to hold bitcoins and go a whole day without even thinking about them once.  If you have to check every day, you are probably overexposed.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2013, 08:13:54 PM

They are here to praise the gospel of Butts.
HeliKopterBen

Activity: 622
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 08:29:58 PM

I agree.  If you are holding dollars you are speculating that the value of the dollar will rise against bitcoin, which can be for any time period.

Counterfeit:  made in imitation of something else with intent to deceive:  merriam-webster
Wary (OP)

Who's there?

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 08:43:14 PM

If you are holding dollars you are speculating that the value of the dollar will rise against bitcoin, which can be for any time period.
In a broad sense, every activity is speculation: you do something now, to get (not guaranteed) results in a future. But this sense is too broad to have any practical value.

Wary (OP)

Who's there?

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 08:57:43 PM

Not necessarily.  It may not be common for most users of this forum, but it is indeed possible to hold bitcoins and go a whole day without even thinking about them once.  If you have to check every day, you are probably overexposed.
Even more, if you've decided to buy&hold for, say, two years, checking priced during this period is risky: you will get emotional, discard your strategy, panic buy/sell and eventually get stripped down by whales. Only iron balls guys can afford to check prices daily. But if you are one of them, why would you go buy&hold?

So, the behaviour of about half of this forum is one more example of market participants' irrationality Smiley

thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 09:09:44 PM

So, if we are not speculating, what are we doing at the speculation forum?  Grin

Do you find yourself strangely drawn to these forums?

There is something unique about most of us.  Regardless of how you were introduced to bitcoin, you are the only ones who have recognized its potential.  Most dismiss this "crazy idea" without true critical thought... 

We are like the people who left for America, arriving either in a wild land or without a dollar in the pocket.  We are willing to risk time and hard earned $ in the hopes of creating a better world. 

Our concept of that better world may differ but we are distinguished in that we are actually trying, actually inventing this world.

If I was a sociologist I would study us longitudinally...
Wary (OP)

Who's there?

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 09:29:56 PM

There is something unique about most of us.  Regardless of how you were introduced to bitcoin, you are the only ones who have recognized its potential.  Most dismiss this "crazy idea" without true critical thought...  

We are like the people who left for America, arriving either in a wild land or without a dollar in the pocket.  We are willing to risk time and hard earned $ in the hopes of creating a better world.  

Our concept of that better world may differ but we are distinguished in that we are actually trying, actually inventing this world.

Maybe we should run a poll. Something like "You're coming here to..
a)Daytrade
b)Be among like-minder folk
c)Feel yourself special.
d)Just don't feel like working" Smiley

Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 10:08:50 PM

There is something unique about most of us.  Regardless of how you were introduced to bitcoin, you are the only ones who have recognized its potential.  Most dismiss this "crazy idea" without true critical thought... 

We are like the people who left for America, arriving either in a wild land or without a dollar in the pocket.  We are willing to risk time and hard earned $ in the hopes of creating a better world. 

+1

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: