Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 04:14:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Temperature for mining within a grow tent  (Read 365 times)
mojominer (OP)
Copper Member

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 05:37:01 PM

So I have started to my rigs in a grow tent as they made my apartment basically unlivable due to the heat. I currently use two 6' inline fans to pump air out, and a 12K BTU standing AC to pump cold air in it (it's using 15kW!). I was wondering what temperature should i get within the tent. It's at 104F when i seal the tent and ~90F when i don't, basically dissipating the heat into my small one bedroom apartment. Should i use bigger fans? Was thinking of changing to 12' 1060CFM ones instead of 400CFM. Is 104F too high?
Thanks
VegasJeff

Activity: 41

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 05:46:35 PM

How many rigs/GPU's are you running in your 1 bedroom apartment?
blockchange88

Activity: 141
Merit: 4

ethereum is a fork of ethereum classic.

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 05:56:27 PM

im curious about this too. ive been planning on renting a small office space around 100sqft, and setting up my farm with an AC unit. at 36 1080tis now, obviously gotta get some 220v plugs too  Cheesy

on that note, hoping btc makes a big jump when these new nvidia cards come out. never cashed out out any btc yet, so maybe nows the time to reinvest in my op? lets see what the blockchain brings us!
mk111

Activity: 230
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 06:12:37 PM

Check these videos

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mining+tent
mojominer (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 06:58:01 PM

I have 7 6gpu rigs in my apartment atm. I have used the outlets from my range and plan to do the same with my dryer too. going all in
mojominer (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 06:59:40 PM

Yah i've looking at those, however i was thinking of having like 100 gpus (currently at 42) in a 4'x8' tent. Looks like it not feasible at them moment.
VyprBTC

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 07:06:19 PM

So I have started to my rigs in a grow tent as they made my apartment basically unlivable due to the heat. I currently use two 6' inline fans to pump air out, and a 12K BTU standing AC to pump cold air in it (it's using 15kW!). I was wondering what temperature should i get within the tent. It's at 104F when i seal the tent and ~90F when i don't, basically dissipating the heat into my small one bedroom apartment. Should i use bigger fans? Was thinking of changing to 12' 1060CFM ones instead of 400CFM. Is 104F too high?
Thanks

No, you're not using 15kW dude. Average 12BTU ac uses like 1200-1500 watts, not 15,000 watts.

Also those inline fans need to be pointed OUTSIDE. not back into the room. All you're doing is generating heat, and recirculating the new heat your generating back into the tent.

ac creates heat. where's the exhaust going? back into the room? that's not going to work. exhaust on the tent. where's that going? back into the room? that's not going to work.
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 07:41:15 PM

You are crazy trying to stuff that into a small apartment. There is no fix other than dont do that. Its not like you can cut holes and add ventilation. You are already throwing most of your profits away trying to run AC

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
mojominer (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 08:07:58 PM

Thanks

No, you're not using 15kW dude. Average 12BTU ac uses like 1200-1500 watts, not 15,000 watts.

Also those inline fans need to be pointed OUTSIDE. not back into the room. All you're doing is generating heat, and recirculating the new heat your generating back into the tent.

ac creates heat. where's the exhaust going? back into the room? that's not going to work. exhaust on the tent. where's that going? back into the room? that's not going to work.

Yes, 1.5kW typo there.

I am pointing them outside and also using the dryer vent to go out. Definitely can't have them heat the room.
mojominer (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 08:09:38 PM

You are crazy trying to stuff that into a small apartment. There is no fix other than dont do that. Its not like you can cut holes and add ventilation. You are already throwing most of your profits away trying to run AC

Hmmm yeah i agree. It's that my operations are not big enough to rent an industrial space and too big for an apartment. All i could find was 2000$ for 1500 sq ft industrial space with triple phase. I would need at least 50 rigs to justify the cost.
Dinmaster

Activity: 34

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 08:38:55 PM

I use a tier shelving unit 7ft high 2ft deep by 4 ft wide. Have a cover on it. 36 x 580rx. Air in it is 45c. Cards around 73c-80c and I have a 6inch duct grow op fan sucking air out of it. The smaller the cubic ft area you have, the quicker the air is changed. I looked at it like cubic ft area with cfm 440cfm ÷ (4x2x7=56) = 7.85 times per minute. Then divide 60 seconds by the result. 7.62 seconds air is totally changed in that area. I'm happy with it and it keeps everything cool. Just my cents 100w fan vs 1500w a.c.....
mojominer (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 09:02:04 PM

I use a tier shelving unit 7ft high 2ft deep by 4 ft wide. Have a cover on it. 36 x 580rx. Air in it is 45c. Cards around 73c-80c and I have a 6inch duct grow op fan sucking air out of it. The smaller the cubic ft area you have, the quicker the air is changed. I looked at it like cubic ft area with cfm 440cfm ÷ (4x2x7=56) = 7.85 times per minute. Then divide 60 seconds by the result. 7.62 seconds air is totally changed in that area. I'm happy with it and it keeps everything cool. Just my cents 100w fan vs 1500w a.c.....

That's nice, but isn't 45c for air and 73-80c for gpus a bit on the high end? Your gpu fans must be running at 80% all the times right?
scogginswill

Activity: 1

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 10:17:43 PM

What region are you looking to set up in?
mojominer (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 10:21:35 PM

What region are you looking to set up in?

I live in Texas man, i am preparing for the harsh summer we are going to get.
Dinmaster

Activity: 34

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 01:27:30 AM

That's nice, but isn't 45c for air and 73-80c for gpus a bit on the high end? Your gpu fans must be running at 80% all the times right?

not really, if i leave the fan on low its about 55c in the tent. fans on the cards were running 30ish% until i tuned them up to 40-45ish% psus, switch, PDU are all in the tent as well. too much to me is over 60c for ambient air. technically a gpu should work over 90c but it gets unstable around 85c since i underclock.
Agozyen

Activity: 672
Merit: 252

Until the end

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 03:58:32 AM

Thanks

Best option would be to vent the AC into the tent and have an exhaust fan move the air outside of your apartment through a window.  You shouldn't be venting that hot air into your apartment. 
manji

Activity: 210
Merit: 174

BookiePro.Fun - The World's Betting Exchange

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 04:33:17 AM

Thanks

Best option would be to vent the AC into the tent and have an exhaust fan move the air outside of your apartment through a window.  You shouldn't be venting that hot air into your apartment. 
Yes, I agree using exhaust.
Divided into 2 parts, the first part throws hot air from your RIG/tent/room and other part throw air outside but I doubt the weather in TEXAS if  it can maximally suck the air from out inwards can decrese the temperature during the daytime.

mojominer (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 12:06:17 AM

Thanks

Yes, i am venting them outside. I use both the dryer one and I have combined the other one through a standing AC that has those window kit. I got a 12,000 BTU standing AC but looks like it's not enough for 7 rigs, the tent stays at 100F. And I don't think the AC can withstand 24/7 operations... The AC is getting pretty hot after 48 hours.

Here I have an image of my setup:

I would be in the end putting 18 rigs in this tent. However I am very skeptical if i would ever be able to suck enough air out and provide enough AC... By the looks of it, i need to get 4 more AC unit... that's an additional 400$ monthly electricity bill.
mojominer (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 12:07:54 AM

Thanks

Yes, I agree using exhaust.
Divided into 2 parts, the first part throws hot air from your RIG/tent/room and other part throw air outside but I doubt the weather in TEXAS if  it can maximally suck the air from out inwards can decrese the temperature during the daytime.

Yeah, in the summer it'll be around 100-110F during day. Maybe cooler during night though.
ltcsprite

Activity: 269
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 12:08:17 AM

Thanks

Best option would be to vent the AC into the tent and have an exhaust fan move the air outside of your apartment through a window.  You shouldn't be venting that hot air into your apartment.  

Yes, i am venting them outside. I use both the dryer one and I have combined the other one through a standing AC that has those window kit. I got a 12,000 BTU standing AC but looks like it's not enough for 7 rigs, the tent stays at 100F. And I don't think the AC can withstand 24/7 operations... The AC is getting pretty hot after 48 hours.

Here I have an image of my setup:

I would be in the end putting 18 rigs in this tent. However I am very skeptical if i would ever be able to suck enough air out and provide enough AC... By the looks of it, i need to get 4 more AC unit... that's an additional 400$ monthly electricity bill.

Hey I posted in your other thread.

Your intakes should be 2x the volume of your exhaust for proper negative pressure and efficient passive extraction of the heat.  

If your exhaust is a larger volume than your intake, than it's trapping heat inside the tent and not able to efficiently pull it out.

Example:  If I had 12" exhaust, i'd want 24" intake or equivalent.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: