Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:34:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mt.Gox scares people into selling  (Read 3485 times)
Kais (OP)

Activity: 193
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 07:12:14 AM

The way that Mt. Gox is set up makes people buy and sell faster. If you keep a constant eye on it, wanting to see when you should sell or buy, you will.

They have made it so that they get much more traffic than needed. They have digits down to the fifth decimal point. When prices change, it looks like a big change (like 13.52470 to 13.34410). I'm not talking about the big transactions, but most of the ones I see are less than a dozen. And when you are trading a small amount of coins, it's hardly any difference in price. But the numbers look bigger because of so many decimal places and people panic or get really excited and buy or sell right away.

Is this true? I know that's what happens in my mind as I watch Mt.Gox Live

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Leon

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 07:13:43 AM

The way that Mt. Gox is set up makes people buy and sell faster. If you keep a constant eye on it, wanting to see when you should sell or buy, you will.

They have made it so that they get much more traffic than needed. They have digits down to the fifth decimal point. When prices change, it looks like a big change (like 13.52470 to 13.34410). I'm not talking about the big transactions, but most of the ones I see are less than a dozen. And when you are trading a small amount of coins, it's hardly any difference in price. But the numbers look bigger because of so many decimal places and people panic or get really excited and buy or sell right away.

You honestly think this scares people? It isn't even mtgox's fault in the first place that they have 8 decimals, what are they gonna do, cut them out? That is senseless.

MiningBuddy

Activity: 927
Merit: 1000

฿itcoin ฿itcoin ฿itcoin

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 07:18:37 AM

I set my bitcoins to sell at the price I choose, set and forget.
I don't think it scares people, because anyone like me who doesn't want the stress of slaving over market charts 24/7 will just set the price they want and walk away.

Kais (OP)

Activity: 193

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 07:19:56 AM

It's not their fault and there's nothing wrong with it, but I just think that has an affect on things. It looks like a big change when really, it's very small.

And yes, it's good to set a price and forget it, but I read posts from many people on this forum about how they are always watching prices and panicing
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 07:20:30 AM

Dude, you need to take a chill pill.

done

Activity: 56

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 07:22:01 AM

Read the sig
GeniuSxBoY

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 07:24:16 AM

Sounds like a case of Arithmophobia

Be humble!
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 08:05:22 AM

you're looking too much into it and missing decimal point
wareen
Millionaire
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1001

Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 12:41:59 PM

What really makes people sell on Mt. Gox right now is probably that a large part of the Bitcoin community (read: Europeans) cannot buy them!

I just read at the Mt. Gox page that SEPA-transactions won't be available until Tuesday (it said Monday before). I really hope this holds now, because if not, it might start becoming a problem.

USD capital in Mt. Gox is now probably much lower than usual and with the supply partly blocked for another week and people starting to panic sell, there just isn't enough USD in the exchange to stop it or get the price up significantly again. We're probably going to see another bad week for Bitcoin Sad

Its a shame because that wouldn't have been necessary. If it would at least have been prominently announced beforehand, we could have prepared and probably mitigated the impact.

▄▄▀▀▄▄
    ▄▄▀▀▄▄██▄▄▀▀▄▄
▄▄▀▀▄▄█████▄████▄▄▀▀▄▄
█▀▀█▄█████████████
█▄▄████▀   ▀██████
███████     █▄████
█████▀█▄   ▄██████
█▄█████▌   ▐█████
█████▀█     ██████
██▄███████████████
▀▀▄▄▀▀█████▀████▀▀▄▄▀▀
    ▀▀▄▄▀▀██▀▀▄▄▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄▀▀
.PDATA..
TOKEN..
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
TELEGRAM     BITCOINTALK     FACEBOOK
MEDIUM    SLACK    TWITTER    YOUTUBE
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   E M A I L   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
Synaptic

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 12:51:24 PM

The only thing scaring people into selling bitcoins is the fear of losing even more money. It has nothing to do with how a chart looks and everything to do with someone/many people making personal realizations about their own stake in bitcoins.

That, and miners extracting their profits.
wareen
Millionaire
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1001

Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 01:21:16 PM

The only thing scaring people ... is the fear
True that!

It has nothing to do with how a chart looks and everything to do with someone/many people making personal realizations about their own stake in bitcoins.
It would be foolish from anybody wanting to buy or sell to ignore the charts as an additional source of information. That's the reason why most people do look at the charts before they trade and hence it is not at all irrelevant how the charts look like. Especially with something like Bitcoin which is entirely driven by supply and demand!

Anyway, my point was, that with BTC influx steady but USD influx partly blocked, an unusual selling pressure on the BTC side builds up at Mt. Gox. I think the current downward trend is reflecting that.

▄▄▀▀▄▄
    ▄▄▀▀▄▄██▄▄▀▀▄▄
▄▄▀▀▄▄█████▄████▄▄▀▀▄▄
█▀▀█▄█████████████
█▄▄████▀   ▀██████
███████     █▄████
█████▀█▄   ▄██████
█▄█████▌   ▐█████
█████▀█     ██████
██▄███████████████
▀▀▄▄▀▀█████▀████▀▀▄▄▀▀
    ▀▀▄▄▀▀██▀▀▄▄▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄▀▀
.PDATA..
TOKEN..
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
TELEGRAM     BITCOINTALK     FACEBOOK
MEDIUM    SLACK    TWITTER    YOUTUBE
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   E M A I L   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
bitbot

Activity: 70

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 02:20:54 PM

everyone who's set their sell prices at something like 20, 25, or 30 needs to log back in and sell--the prices are NOT going back up. would you people rather be poor or poor and ashamed? don't do this to yourself, especially the guys holding 1000+ coins, sell at $10

Anonymous BITCOIN Exchange: https://www.TRADEHILL.COM
MagicalTux
VIP

Activity: 608
Merit: 501

-

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 02:22:44 PM

Its a shame because that wouldn't have been necessary. If it would at least have been prominently announced beforehand, we could have prepared and probably mitigated the impact.

Would have been nice if we could have been informed more than 7 days in advance too.

The old bank closed the account friday morning as promised, and the new bank was decided by the authorities at the same time, however the new bank denied to give us a rendezvous to open the new bank account before tuesday.

New account will be open at 11:30 tuesday morning, and we'll put the new IBAN on the page a few hours later (don't know exactly how long the meeting will last). Once done we'll rush the dev of import API to make deposits available as soon as funds are in.
Synaptic

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 02:25:10 PM

Would have been nice if we could have been informed more than 7 days in advance too.

The old bank closed the account friday morning as promised, and the new bank was decided by the authorities at the same time, however the new bank denied to give us a rendezvous to open the new bank account before tuesday.

New account will be open at 11:30 tuesday morning, and we'll put the new IBAN on the page a few hours later (don't know exactly how long the meeting will last). Once done we'll rush the dev of import API to make deposits available as soon as funds are in.

Yes, please, rush the dev.

Your team seems to be very adept at managing difficult, detailed oriented projects and pushing out quality code...
DonnyCMU

Activity: 143

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 02:26:43 PM

When prices change, it looks like a big change (like 13.52470 to 13.34410).

Any sane person would know that a price drop from 13.5 to 13.2 is a bigger change than 13.52470 to 13.34410
Perhaps you don't.
TheGer

Activity: 602

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 03:25:19 PM

Reminds me of when the price of Gold dropped from $900 down to $600 and people were like SELL SELL SELL before it's to late.  Lol now it's worth almost $1600.  Fools.  Go ahead and SELL SELL SELL your Bitcoins.  When non-miners buy them up to use as a Digital Currency and you're left mining 1 coin every couple of weeks wondering why you sold your whole stash in a panic the rest of us will giigle to ourselves.
AtlasONo

Activity: 551

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 03:53:00 PM

Somebody bought at $14 and was hoping to make a quick buck
Synaptic

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 03:57:43 PM

Somebody bought at $14 and was hoping to make a quick buck

Yup. There's the idiot, immortalized for all to see.
markabark

Activity: 27

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 03:59:27 PM

everyone who's set their sell prices at something like 20, 25, or 30 needs to log back in and sell--the prices are NOT going back up. would you people rather be poor or poor and ashamed? don't do this to yourself, especially the guys holding 1000+ coins, sell at $10

Since you know prices are "NOT" going back up, can you please tell me the price next tuesday?
Synaptic

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 04:01:40 PM

Since you know prices are "NOT" going back up, can you please tell me the price next tuesday?

Without some major intervention by some angel investor doing the "bitcoin movement" a favor?

Around $10, probably.

That's if it doesn't crash before then.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: