Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:05:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Secure your account before you regret.  (Read 322 times)
Baoo (OP)

Activity: 854
Merit: 115

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 09:09:11 PM
Last edit: February 16, 2018, 09:28:57 PM by Baoo

Many people are afraid due to the spread of hacking into many accounts and some of them consider that the security of those accounts are very weak ( especially after their accounts are hacked) and  they bear all the burdens on the forum.

In my opinion, the problem is not the weakness of security, but in fact, it is your misbehaviors  that lead to your accounts ( users) being hacked.

When your account is well secured , the hacker cannot  get your password. So it's very essential to protect your account through two simple steps  :
1- Choosing a powerful password.
2- Secure your Email ( Strong password, Step verification ( by a  phone number) ,Encrypt it through a special key).

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
krishnaverma

Activity: 1288
Merit: 106

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 06:45:11 AM

Many people are afraid due to the spread of hacking into many accounts and some of them consider that the security of those accounts are very weak ( especially after their accounts are hacked) and  they bear all the burdens on the forum.

In my opinion, the problem is not the weakness of security, but in fact, it is your misbehaviors  that lead to your accounts ( users) being hacked.

When your account is well secured , the hacker cannot  get your password. So it's very essential to protect your account through two simple steps  :
2- Secure your Email ( Strong password, Step verification ( by a  phone number) ,Encrypt it through a special key).

Regarding the strong password here are my suggestion:

1) Use combination of letters, numbers and special characters . There are hackers who brute force common passwords easily with the help of software like burp suite.

2) Keep changing the password at regular intervals.

bitcoinl0ver1337

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 06:50:22 AM

I like to type out a random set of numbers and letters and save them to a notepad. It's the best defense against brute force attacks. The bitcointalk hack that happened in 2015 wouldn't have been a problem for anyone if their passwords were good because all the passwords needed to be bruteforced.
krishnaverma

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 07:14:50 AM

I like to type out a random set of numbers and letters and save them to a notepad. It's the best defense against brute force attacks. The bitcointalk hack that happened in 2015 wouldn't have been a problem for anyone if their passwords were good because all the passwords needed to be bruteforced.

I am curious to know if the forum has some protection against brute force attacks now or not. It is very much needed to keep the members safe here.
digaran
Copper Member

Activity: 1330
Merit: 899

🖤😏

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 07:22:39 AM

You shouldn't know about 2015 attack, are you going to farm merits and sell your account in a few months?
OP, you should jump some girls before you die, merit me for my suggestion.

🖤😏
BluberryBTC

Activity: 52
Merit: 4

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 07:26:57 AM

I am curious to know if the forum has some protection against brute force attacks now or not. It is very much needed to keep the members safe here.

Yeah I think this forum protects passwords with sha-256
bitcoinl0ver1337

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 07:29:50 AM

You shouldn't know about 2015 attack, are you going to farm merits and sell your account in a few months?
OP, you should jump some girls before you die, merit me for my suggestion.

It was pretty big news bro. And farming merits is the last thing I'd want to do. If I want to make money I'll log into my Steemit account and post from there.
krishnaverma

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 07:31:43 AM

It was pretty big news bro. And farming merits is the last thing I'd want to do. If I want to make money I'll log into my Steemit account and post from there.

Why are are hijacking the thread ? You should post here if you want to say something related to the query asked. This post seems like a promotion for the website you mentioned.
bitcoinl0ver1337

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 07:42:08 AM

Are you dumb? I gave you a response. In case you didn't read it I'll quote it again for you...

So why don't you take your teenage angst elsewhere and tell off all the people with signature under their names. You sound like you're just trying to promote that site in your banner with poor quality posts.

Also Steem is a coin, run using the steemit platform. Go back to the off-topic section please.

sxafir

Activity: 1022
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 07:43:47 AM

How to secure spectre and meltown attack?
jinksters09

Activity: 126
Merit: 16

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 07:49:06 AM

It is not enough to get protection but also to apply insurance or back-up of your password just like in business or in your highly valued properties you need to ensure it has in insurance well in our account case no matter how to strong our password maybe it still need insurance for example storing in your email addresses it's password.

teddy5145

Activity: 714
Merit: 528

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 08:00:43 AM

The 2015 attack happened because the attacker managed to gain root access and steal the password hash.
Even if they use a strong password, that hash can still be bruteforced by the attacker, my original ID were one of its victim (although it is no longer active anymore)
honestly, it is still a problem whether you use strong password or not, when a site gets hacked you must change your password.

Another tips, you might want to get password manager like Keepass, saving your password on a notepad is bad idea.

How to secure spectre and meltown attack?
I thought those were Hardware based exploit ?
Microsoft already released a patch against those exploit, so it shouldn't be working as long as you have your windows updated.
Expert3

Activity: 230
Merit: 4

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 02:26:41 PM

Is that okay to save your password on a notepad? If talking about hassle to input really long passwords with signs, numbers and letters with Caps it was tiring but keeping it away from your notepad makes it safer. i just really get this idea since this was a rule of thumb given by professionals in the industry.
target
Legendary

Activity: 2240
Merit: 1041

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 02:33:59 PM

Just don't give away any password of yours also upper and lowercase and symbols and numbers are going to make the password stronger take that advice. The best advice I got is don't click links and login to it even if the sender is a trusted user. Most of the time why MEW wallets are hacked is because they logon to phishing sites.

Protecting your wallets is as important as protecting your bitcointalk account.

wutusuma145

Activity: 217

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 03:36:21 PM

I want to ask ya, why the hell if we often open a bitcointalk account using wifi it often to hackers ?? Please advise
digaran
Copper Member

Activity: 1330
Merit: 899

🖤😏

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 04:46:03 PM

I want to ask ya, why the hell if we often open a bitcointalk account using wifi it often to hackers ?? Please advise
Even though I'm a translator of all the dead and alive languages, your post is not written in any language known to men, it often to hackers makes no sense. but I could tell you that you have already answered your question.

🖤😏
seven2smoke1

Activity: 532
Merit: 132

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 10:49:46 PM

Many people are afraid due to the spread of hacking into many accounts and some of them consider that the security of those accounts are very weak ( especially after their accounts are hacked) and they bear all the burdens on the forum.
Yes, recently we've seen a lot of accounts being hacked. The problem is spliced into 2 general things.
1-Weakness of forum security
2-Careless about security by the user (I mean using an easy password).

In my opinion, the problem is not the weakness of security, but in fact, it is your misbehaviors that lead to your accounts ( users) being hacked.
Your opinion is right, careless about account security is always lead to lose your account. If anyone cares a lot about his own account, then he should put an effort and search how making it more secure.

2- Secure your Email ( Strong password, Step verification ( by a  phone number) ,Encrypt it through a special key).

Your suggestions are good. People who have strongest password and care a lot about their account's security are mostly safe from being hacked.
But the problem is not here, I think there is a possibility to be hacked even if you made a strong password. The big problem is when you will be hacked, you will not notice by email until the hacker change the password and the bitcointalk email, Also there is no a confirmation email sender for you to confirm that you want to change your password or not. Here, it is the wrong point.
Ojengonggu

Activity: 756
Merit: 105

Trphy.io

View Profile
February 18, 2018, 01:16:54 AM

Many people are afraid due to the spread of hacking into many accounts and some of them consider that the security of those accounts are very weak ( especially after their accounts are hacked) and  they bear all the burdens on the forum.

In my opinion, the problem is not the weakness of security, but in fact, it is your misbehaviors  that lead to your accounts ( users) being hacked.

When your account is well secured , the hacker cannot  get your password. So it's very essential to protect your account through two simple steps  :

I agree with you because most of those who hack is because their password is too easy so easy to hack easily master their account.
maybe I'll add # 3 to your suggestion: it's not easy to click incoming links via email messages or bitcointalk accounts, learn carefully because most are hacked through PM

Xeldz

Activity: 20

View Profile
February 18, 2018, 01:06:59 PM

I agree with you because most of those who hack is because their password is too easy so easy to hack easily master their account.
maybe I'll add # 3 to your suggestion: it's not easy to click incoming links via email messages or bitcointalk accounts, learn carefully because most are hacked through PM
My account got hacked even though i have strong password both email and btctalk account, still didn't know how the hacker can change my email address and my password.
chubbyTubby

Activity: 27
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 18, 2018, 02:18:12 PM

My account got hacked even though i have strong password both email and btctalk account, still didn't know how the hacker can change my email address and my password.

Did the hacker get access into your email account also? That probably means your computer has a trojan or keylogger.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: