Bitcoin Forum
August 03, 2024, 11:18:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Sacred Economics  (Read 2739 times)
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1004

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 12:53:55 AM

Not that I've read the whole thread, but just want to make sure it's noted that economies based on generosity can certainly work on a small scale (ie, maybe a few hundred individuals) where each member more or less has some level of direct interaction with a non-trivial percentage of the total number of members. Extend beyond that size, and some basics of human nature (self-interest, devaluing the lives and rights of those who aren't close to you versus those who are, family allegiance, etc) take over that make such systems break down.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
flug (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 10:27:17 AM

Not that I've read the whole thread, but just want to make sure it's noted that economies based on generosity can certainly work on a small scale (ie, maybe a few hundred individuals) where each member more or less has some level of direct interaction with a non-trivial percentage of the total number of members. Extend beyond that size, and some basics of human nature (self-interest, devaluing the lives and rights of those who aren't close to you versus those who are, family allegiance, etc) take over that make such systems break down.

This makes a lot of sense to me.

It also reinforces that different aspects of humans take precedence in different situations. For example, there are different relationships within a family than there are in a local community and again in a global marketplace.

I guess what interests me, in the context of this thread, is whether we've evolved socially and technologically to scale that generosity aspect to a larger economy. I think Marx talked about a progression of revolutions from primitive communism -> feudalism -> capitalism -> advanced communism. Perhaps he had a similar idea in mind.

(Coincidently, I just came across the following quote: "Self-interest is but the survival of the animal in us. Humanity only begins for man with self-surrender." — Henri-Frédéric Amiel)

drakoin

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

see my profile

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 03:25:00 AM

https://www.google.de/search?q=Charles+Eisenstein+site%3Abitcointalk.org brings up this one thread - so why not reawake it.

This short film (12:08 min) has just been clicked half a million times:

Sacred Economics with Charles Eisenstein - A Short Film

Sacred Economics traces the history of money from ancient gift economies to modern capitalism, revealing how the money system has contributed to alienation, competition, and scarcity, destroyed community, and necessitated endless growth.

Today, these trends have reached their extreme - but in the wake of their collapse, we may find great opportunity to transition to a more connected, ecological, and sustainable way of being.

Published 01.03.2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEZkQv25uEs

no sign of a signature
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: