Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:03:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Extension cords with metering / Power distribution / Electrical Issues  (Read 144 times)
Crypto Electrica (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 04:59:17 AM
Last edit: February 17, 2018, 07:22:50 AM by Crypto Electrica

Hi guys,

I am doing all kinds of connectors and power distribution systems for cryptofarms, and wanted to share the common issues, which I routinely face.

1. METERING
Usually, clients do not have any metering solution for the farm, and sometimes it leads to overheating and damage of breakers, receptacles, melting wires and worst case, fire. I recommend using any kind of ammeter, to make sure you stay below the safe level of 80% circuit capacity, and monitor the temperature of the components. Circuit max capacity is the MINIMUM capacity of one of the three components: breaker, wire or receptacle. Say you have 20 amps breaker 120V, #12 wire, and NEMA 5-15 receptacle. in this case, though you have the breaker and the wire rating 20A, receptacle rating is 15A, and it is not certified to run 20A, only 15A.
I do the extension cords "SafeMiner", which have the ammeter embedded right into the cord.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mining-farm-connection-ASIC-S9-L3-Bitcoin-Litecoin-Ethereum-extension-cord-new/112743706107
For any loads, any receptacles, customized for particular use like lego bricks. You can also use the metered PDUs, or Fluke ammeters, though it is not so convenient to check the wires with a handheld meter all the time.  
If your farm is big enough, the online power monitoring is a must. Consider installing one of the industry-level power monitors, which transmit the data to your smartphone.

2. GROUNDING AND BONDING
I found that in certain models of miners, like some of S9 and L3+, the power supply does not pass the ground to the miner. This, in case of the short circuit inside the miner, sometimes leads to the damage of power supply wires, and easily - to the damage of the nearest miners, because the short current start flowing through everything it can find around.
I strongly suggest to wire the ground to all the metal enclosures and all racks, you will save thousands of dollars of damage doing that. Not to mention that it is absolutely required by the National Electric Code, NEC. If you need, I have the grounding/bonding sets.

3. PANELS  
If you are going to wire up the big ass cryptofarm, instead of installing the fixed wall-mounted electrical panels with the breakers, consider using the power distribution rack in a standard 19" flight case, it's the same equipment, which is used by musicians during the concerts. It will cost you cheaper, than wiring up all the same farm with an electrical contractor, and if you have a rented space, you can then go out to a different place, or just to sell the power distribution rack, and get back your money. Contact me if you do need such a rack. It has 400A 3-phase capacity, with 40 receptacles L6-30R (same as the standard PDUs) and 6 receptacles NEMA 5-15R all wired up into a nice, compact, customizable device on casters. Each of receptacles has its own circuit protection breaker.

4. FIRE ALARM
None of my clients usually bothers about the installation of even the basic fire alarm system. I strongly suggest you think about installing at least the CO/smoke battery-powered sensors, not one, but minimum two. I have one recent case, when the client has a cheap crappy wire melted at night in his house, on the carpet floor, and it was a miracle that he did not end up with a real fire.  

You are welcome to contact me if you would like to discuss anything about the electrical power for crypto mining, or harmonics, grounding, bonding, power distribution, metering, monitoring, transient voltage surge suppressors and NEC code issues for server installations.

Have a good mining, guys. Be safe.   Smiley
Crypto Electrica

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
warningsigns

Activity: 896
Merit: 1082

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 05:33:40 AM

Yes, services like yours are very welcome here. I’m sure most of those buying mining equipment are unaware of the dangers of do-it-yourself installation work. The dangers are multiplied when one is blinded by wild profits or fixated on quickly mining coins without investing in safe electrical systems. It’s not just about the potential financial damages when equipment is lost to grounding or other electrical issues but there is also the deadly side of electricity which some overlook. Losing coins is one thing but losing coins and life is a disaster.

Thanks for joining the community.

Crypto Electrica (OP)

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 01:08:32 AM

The electrical system is a musical instrument indeed. You cannot see it or feel it, but if you will connect the special equipment to the electrical network, you will discover all types of harmonic oscillations, happening in your electric grid. Resonance events, triple harmonics, dips, swells, transient voltage spikes, all of this creates the unhearable electrical music, which crescendo can easily damage your equipment by overvoltage and shorts currents.
This music in the electrical networks plays louder and louder every year because people install more and more switched power supplies in the buildings: for computers, server equipment, led lighting, fluorescent light ballasts, medical equipment and so on. And the same equipment, which ultimately causes this invisible musical vibrating cacofonia, ironically is the most vulnerable to its after effects. You usually see the results of these oscillations when your most expensive and clever equipment starts burning out without any apparent reason. Hi-end audio-video centers, medical devices, computers, TVs, servers, data storage NAS massives, Wi-Fi routers, and switches.
There are many ways to mitigate this voltage spikes, the most common are installation of active or passive filters, surge suppressors, isolation transformers, making insulated ground system with digital monitoring, lowering the resistance of the grounding/bonding system by installing additional ground rods and thicker grounding wires, installing power quality monitors, UPS systems, and more.

Call or text 619 551 0828 if you need any of the above.
We play this “electric jazz!”  Smiley

P.S. Here is the link, where you can see, how 3rd, 6th and 9th harmonics influence the voltage in your receptacles.
http://kindohm.github.io/additive-harmonics/

P.P.S. Today we returned the data center power analysis task. Spikes in the system are 780-840 Volts instead of 480V... UPS for 82,000 USD burned out.
EricJH801

Activity: 210
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 03:48:23 AM

Can you explain how to check this on these types of units?

2. GROUNDING AND BONDING
I found that in certain models of miners, like some of S9 and L3+, the power supply does not pass the ground to the miner. This, in case of the short circuit inside the miner, sometimes leads to the damage of power supply wires, and easily - to the damage of the nearest miners, because the short current start flowing through everything it can find around.
I strongly suggest to wire the ground to all the metal enclosures and all racks, you will save thousands of dollars of damage doing that. Not to mention that it is absolutely required by the National Electric Code, NEC. If you need, I have the grounding/bonding sets.

Crypto Electrica (OP)

View Profile
March 14, 2018, 05:25:34 AM

Just check the resistance between your receptacle ground and the power supply / miner AL enclosure. You will see that the power supply does have the equipment ground, and your miner probably not...
Or the voltage between the phase and enclosures.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: