Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:47:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help With Mining  (Read 861 times)
geckogroove (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 01:38:18 PM

hey, im brand new to mining.... how can i set up a solo mine except use computers from different locations? eg
my home deskop
my work desktop (im self employed)
my server
ect ect

obviously i want them to all contribute to one solo mine... or am i better of putting them all into the same pool? is solo mining worth it?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitdonk

Activity: 9

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 01:43:00 PM

I would set them in the same pool, that way you get paid more often, and if you go in a pool without fees, you will earn about the same.
geckogroove (OP)

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 01:45:30 PM

okay, all together i get about 3ghs so i wasnt sure if solo was the way to go... can you suggest a good pool? ive got an account on deepbit but never set it up yet
Bitdonk

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 01:47:55 PM

Well, you have a few good free pools.

Like BitcoinPool.com and BTC Guild
geckogroove (OP)

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 01:58:07 PM

do you guys reckon bitcoin mining is even worth it now? considering the drop in yield for each block next year and the low conversion rates at the moment... where do you guys see the future of mining headed in the near future?
Morebitcoinsplease

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 05:31:41 PM
Last edit: July 18, 2011, 03:22:56 PM by Morebitcoinsplease

do you guys reckon bitcoin mining is even worth it now? considering the drop in yield for each block next year and the low conversion rates at the moment... where do you guys see the future of mining headed in the near future?

If your looking bitcoins as a long term investment and as long as you can afford to continually invest and believe bitcoin will become its own true currency (No reliance on other currency) then yes.

If your looking to make a quick buck, mining probably isn't the way the to go, just buy and sell the coins.

Kivvi

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 06:16:37 AM

hey, im brand new to mining.... how can i set up a solo mine except use computers from different locations? eg
my home deskop
my server
ect ect

obviously i want them to all contribute to one solo mine... or am i better of putting them all into the same pool? is solo mining worth it?

Just requesting some background info here- your work desktop-  do you do some sort of video editing/ idk that you happen to have some really good gpu's in your work desktop?  You might want to be careful to not burn these out too fast if you have to use these for work as well, as any downtime in your work environment would obviously be a huge downside

Also, your server, what do you you have in there that works so well for mining?  My understanding is that right now gpu's are the best way ( the only way really) to get decent mhash.  Also at first I looked into buying used server's for mass mining, but from what i read this overall would not pay off for the energy costs.  Is this a server out of your house?

Just curious- new to this whole thing, interested in what you can get out of your server mostly.
geckogroove (OP)

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 06:26:11 AM

my home deskop
my server
ect ect

Just requesting some background info here- your work desktop-  do you do some sort of video editing/ idk that you happen to have some really good gpu's in your work desktop?  You might want to be careful to not burn these out too fast if you have to use these for work as well, as any downtime in your work environment would obviously be a huge downside

Also, your server, what do you you have in there that works so well for mining?  My understanding is that right now gpu's are the best way ( the only way really) to get decent mhash.  Also at first I looked into buying used server's for mass mining, but from what i read this overall would not pay off for the energy costs.  Is this a server out of your house?

Just curious- new to this whole thing, interested in what you can get out of your server mostly.

nah the work desktop is only used for word documents etc although I put 2*5850 in it because I wanted to lower my taxable income Smiley

I thought the server would be useful as running a pool for all my computers to connect, it's outsourced so no power costs
Kivvi

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 06:30:56 AM

nah the work desktop is only used for word documents etc although I put 2*5850 in it because I wanted to lower my taxable income Smiley

[/quote]

you sir, understand the system Cheesy

EDIT:  I however, do not understand forum quotes...
joulesbeef

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

moOo

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 06:33:41 AM

do half solo, half pool

mooo for rent
Kivvi

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 06:37:08 AM

what would the benifits be to half solo/half pool?  From what I understand running solo is only a good idea if you can finish a block in a decent amount of time, and pools are more for those who want quick payout/low level rigs.  Could you enlighten me into this half/half idea?
geckogroove (OP)

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 07:24:51 AM

what would the benifits be to half solo/half pool?  From what I understand running solo is only a good idea if you can finish a block in a decent amount of time, and pools are more for those who want quick payout/low level rigs.  Could you enlighten me into this half/half idea?

agreed, clarification please Cheesy my next work computer will have a 6990 Cheesy
Morebitcoinsplease

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 03:28:01 PM

what would the benifits be to half solo/half pool?  From what I understand running solo is only a good idea if you can finish a block in a decent amount of time, and pools are more for those who want quick payout/low level rigs.  Could you enlighten me into this half/half idea?

I wouldn't risk doing half solo / half pool, I started several months back and yes I found have blocks but only on pools and after doing calculations the chance of completing that block to get the 50 coins is way too risky. I rather get some coins then no coins, and just sitting there spending money on electricity and hoping to solve that block doesn't sit well with me.

At the very least If you want to try solo I would pool till you made the cost of the electricity that month and then go all in.

Don't split your resources unless you bring in some serious Ghashs
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: