Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 02:25:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Asic Arms Race 28mn chips  (Read 3294 times)
Dalkore
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026

Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2013, 05:57:31 PM

I believe some people should really think about just purchasing coins as your investment in Bitcoin.  Right now we have a ton of hardware coming online and until a bulk of it has brought the difficulty to where it needs to be, you should hold off putting new money to work. 

Hosting: Low as $60.00 per KW - Link
Transaction List: jayson3 +5 - ColdHardMetal +3 - Nolo +2 - CoinHoarder +1 - Elxiliath +1 - tymm0 +1 - Johnniewalker +1 - Oscer +1 - Davidj411 +1 - BitCoiner2012 +1 - dstruct2k +1 - Philj +1 - camolist +1 - exahash +1 - Littleshop +1 - Severian +1 - DebitMe +1 - lepenguin +1 - StringTheory +1 - amagimetals +1 - jcoin200 +1 - serp +1 - klintay +1 - -droid- +1 - FlutterPie +1
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 06:09:29 PM

I believe some people should really think about just purchasing coins as your investment in Bitcoin.  Right now we have a ton of hardware coming online and until a bulk of it has brought the difficulty to where it needs to be, you should hold off putting new money to work.  

I agree. The difficulty is going up so fast, most of these devices will likely be unprofitable. Not to mention all of these companies are unproven and have not ever released a single product, much less a Bitcoin ASIC.

Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment, but I am suggesting to my diversified group buy participants that we hold our BTC until Avalon announces 2nd gen prices/specs, rather than order some of the currently available vaporware offers.

AT LEAST one of the new vendors will have delays. I speculate KNC will have delays, they have been awfully quiet as of late. I would be surprised if at least one of the other companies doesn't suffer from delays as well.
Pumpkin

Activity: 151
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 06:11:12 PM

How difficult and expensive would it be for a company to make 20 nm chips after they've already made 28 nm?
creativex

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 06:24:17 PM

How difficult and expensive would it be for a company to make 20 nm chips after they've already made 28 nm?

Not difficult, but expensive. Outside of chipzilla there aren't all that many fabs with 20nm capacity. TSMC just got serious about 20nm in April:

http://focustaiwan.tw/news/atod/201304010042.aspx

It seems unlikely that it would be worth the expense to shrink from 28 to 20nm for vendors of btc mining hardware.

WikileaksDude (OP)

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 09:06:59 PM

I believe some people should really think about just purchasing coins as your investment in Bitcoin.  Right now we have a ton of hardware coming online and until a bulk of it has brought the difficulty to where it needs to be, you should hold off putting new money to work.  

I agree. The difficulty is going up so fast, most of these devices will likely be unprofitable. Not to mention all of these companies are unproven and have not ever released a single product, much less a Bitcoin ASIC.

Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment, but I am suggesting to my diversified group buy participants that we hold our BTC until Avalon announces 2nd gen prices/specs, rather than order some of the currently available vaporware offers.

AT LEAST one of the new vendors will have delays. I speculate KNC will have delays, they have been awfully quiet as of late. I would be surprised if at least one of the other companies doesn't suffer from delays as well.

are you calling activemining/VMC vaporware? look at this:

http://www.easic.com/vmc-uses-easic-to-achieve-24-756-ths-bitcoin-miner/

and is USA based... and well funded.
crumbs

Activity: 210

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 09:13:17 PM

How do i find this page if i don't have the full address?  I go on eAsic site, i click on "Company->eASIC Press Releases," and get a comprehensive catalog of press releases, all the way to the year 2000.  Here: http://www.easic.com/easic-company/press-releases/   No mention of this.  How come?
WikileaksDude (OP)

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 09:19:42 PM

How do i find this page if i don't have the full address?  I go on eAsic site, i click on "Company->eASIC Press Releases," and get a comprehensive catalog of press releases, all the way to the year 2000.  Here: http://www.easic.com/easic-company/press-releases/   No mention of this.  How come?

are you blind or just trolling?

https://i.imgur.com/ODIQYzv.png
CMMPro

Activity: 588

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 09:38:06 PM

BFL and even KNC are seeing lots of refund requests. I see this on their forums every day.

BFL via Paypal / Credit Card companies forcing them, and KNC is offering refunds to anyone who requests without an issue.
(KNC hasn't even started to deliver yet, and are not behind on schedule and people are still refunding their orders.)

Everything BFL makes is out of date and can't make break even at this point....even their vapor ware 'Monarch'.

Most people are starting to figure out that if KNC mining equipment can barely make break even that almost no ones equipment is going to break even.

The number of people who are interested in mining for long term at a loss is very very little.

I believe we are going to see an overshoot and a crash in the hashrate after new year. (Similar to the April bitcoin crash.)

Who is buying new equipment? No one, everyone who has looked to the future is asking about refunds.
Who is bringing new hardware to market? At least a half dozen companies all saying they are going to "be a dominant force" in the bitcoin mining hardware market...sometime around Dec.

In reality by Dec they will be sitting on hardware that no one wants....the price will have to drop to a point where these units can make a few bucks.
That number may be below the cost of building these devices at that point.

Basically if you don't have a preorder almost ready to ship...you are out of the mining race.
Even if you do it is likely you will just break even.

There is no next gen after ASIC's....at least I haven't read about anything more powerful.

So we will be stuck in a rut, limited by the best ASIC's we can design and pump out.

What are they going to do keep building bigger ASIC mining hardware? That is the same as adding more USB miners to your farm at this point.

Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 09:39:09 PM

KnC have been anything but quiet of late. Their wafers have left the fab, and are currently being packaged.

Hashfast have promised 20th-30th Oct, removed any refund and accountabulity, then changed that to 'anticipated' AFTER taking funds, released a refund window of 14 days in Jan, offered a 14 day warranty, changed their terms and conditions umpteen times, and now both claim to have the right to change products spec at will, and change all terms of sale, or sever them at will without agreement of the buyer. People should really go take a gander at their latest terms. They changed them 5 times last week alone, adding a massive red flag. I'm still waiting for someone to spot it. That's in addition to their questionable marketing ethics, flase twitter accounts, shady effort to raise funds starting at $0.5mil investment through a shell company called Gridfinity, and a miner protection plan, that costs them nothing in the scheme of things and the buyer plenty of time and money, and in effect protects squat.

Cointerra at least now offer secure payment methods, but like Hashfast offer a best case simulated estimate of Hashrate and not a realistic deliverable. Unlike Hashfast they haven't lied about delivery and to secure funds and changed their terms after receiving payment, which is fraud.

I'm still waiting to see Bitfury's real world hashrate and power results from individual users on video, but to his credit even though it's not turned out totally as planned, for a sole effort, the boy's impressive.

BFL...

Bitsyncom are the biggest upset, they had it all in their hands, a once in a lifetime chance, and they got corrupt and blew it for greed.

VMC, something seems wayyy off there. Deleting forum posts is not good business practice, neither is staffing the whole operation with your family. Regardless of whether eASIC is onboard their 28nm design choice may bring speed to market, but not competitive performance.

XCrowd I always said were a waste of time and I was slated for it, yet who was right? Fact is you cannot manufacture devices like these based around good looking devices with many expensive parts that are time consuming and costky to assemble, and have many points of failure, but apparently people in this forum are easily blindsided by aesthetics over function. It was clearly an attempt at a scam from the off, but they were screwed by demands for secure payment methods.

People need to be wary of power consumption estimations, I'm not a KnC shill, I never have been, all I've ever done is pointed out that they are the only company staffed by experienced engineers with know how that have been honest with the factual information that they have had to hand at the time. Real engineers will not promise marketing hype to tie up your funds without accountability. They promise what they know is possible and adjust the predictions as and when the data available becomes reality by being proven fact. Good business practice offers secure payment methods.

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2013, 09:40:02 PM

Start adding solar panels to your datacentre. Smiley

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
WikileaksDude (OP)

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 09:43:03 PM

So it seems that we have a race here,

and the racers are: ActiveMining(VMC), CoinCraft, KnCMiner, CoinTerra

Most are shipping their chips, during november, ActiveMining promissed, to ship, by the end of october..

Coincraft - by the end of november

KnCminer - by the end of november

and CoinTerra saying during January's batch...

Hashfast -  shipping in mid to late november

BFL - November/December (initial shipping), and January/February (bulk shipping)

So lets see who's gonna win this race, starting october to december will be indeed an interesting times for bitcoin.

Pretty sure KNC is supposed to ship by the end of September

here: https://i.imgur.com/ViHHvcX.png

Obviously you haven't been paying attention. Their first batch is due for sept shipping, they are now on third batch orders for Nov shipping.

Obviously you haven't been paying attention to what you read... im talking about the arms race on 28mn chips in this _thread_
Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 09:55:41 PM

Obviously you haven't been paying attention. Their first batch is due for sept shipping, they are now on third batch orders for Nov shipping.

Obviously you haven't been paying attention to what you read... im talking about the arms race on 28mn chips in this _thread_

But you do realise that KnC aim to deliver their first batch of 28nm in a few days, right?

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
crumbs

Activity: 210

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 09:56:54 PM

Most are shipping their chips, during november, ActiveMining promissed, to ship, by the end of october..

BFL - November/December (initial shipping), and January/February (bulk shipping)

So lets see who's gonna win this race, starting october to december will be indeed an interesting times for bitcoin.

KNC is shipping the very same chip in November as they are in September.  The very same one.  You illiterate or just trolling?
AFA PR release -- blind.
greaterninja

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 10:03:55 PM

Isn't Avalon working on 2nd gen chips?
'

Avalon is already working on 3rd gen 28nm chips for their server farms.

Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 10:20:16 PM

I believe we are going to see an overshoot and a crash in the hashrate after new year. (Similar to the April bitcoin crash.)
[...]
In reality by Dec they will be sitting on hardware that no one wants....the price will have to drop to a point where these units can make a few bucks.

It's a thoroughly mind bending amalgamation of converging and opposing factors: given a price drop, all equipment becomes more expensive to buy at current manufacturers profit margins. But depending on the size of the hashrate falloff, some equipment may stay competitive... both first gen ASICs that quit before the drop, and the readjusted ROI on new equipment (with the requisite price cuts factored in, of course)

Alongside this, several technical/usability advances will hit the client market: some form of faster blockchain download (including verification performance improvements), the payments protocol, possibly blockchain compression, and several other possibilities that I can't quite recall right now. Additionally, the system is gathering more mainstream interest and acceptance (including authoritative recognition in the form of the ISO trading code as well as a an official "BTC" Unicode character). Will any of the promising new exchanges get off the ground? Will the Winklevoss ETF clear the hurdles before January?

So much relevant and influential activity concentrated into the next few months, and that's without even mentioning the events that aren't known to be on the cards... I'm not sure what to expect, but it's going to be dramatic

Vires in numeris
CoinHoarder
Legendary

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 02:00:35 AM
Last edit: September 19, 2013, 03:51:30 AM by CoinHoarder

KnC have been anything but quiet of late. Their wafers have left the fab, and are currently being packaged.

Hashfast have promised 20th-30th Oct, removed any refund and accountabulity, then changed that to 'anticipated' AFTER taking funds, released a refund window of 14 days in Jan, offered a 14 day warranty, changed their terms and conditions umpteen times, and now both claim to have the right to change products spec at will, and change all terms of sale, or sever them at will without agreement of the buyer. People should really go take a gander at their latest terms. They changed them 5 times last week alone, adding a massive red flag. I'm still waiting for someone to spot it. That's in addition to their questionable marketing ethics, flase twitter accounts, shady effort to raise funds starting at $0.5mil investment through a shell company called Gridfinity, and a miner protection plan, that costs them nothing in the scheme of things and the buyer plenty of time and money, and in effect protects squat.

Cointerra at least now offer secure payment methods, but like Hashfast offer a best case simulated estimate of Hashrate and not a realistic deliverable. Unlike Hashfast they haven't lied about delivery and to secure funds and changed their terms after receiving payment, which is fraud.

I'm still waiting to see Bitfury's real world hashrate and power results from individual users on video, but to his credit even though it's not turned out totally as planned, for a sole effort, the boy's impressive.

BFL...

Bitsyncom are the biggest upset, they had it all in their hands, a once in a lifetime chance, and they got corrupt and blew it for greed.

VMC, something seems wayyy off there. Deleting forum posts is not good business practice, neither is staffing the whole operation with your family. Regardless of whether eASIC is onboard their 28nm design choice may bring speed to market, but not competitive performance.

XCrowd I always said were a waste of time and I was slated for it, yet who was right? Fact is you cannot manufacture devices like these based around good looking devices with many expensive parts that are time consuming and costky to assemble, and have many points of failure, but apparently people in this forum are easily blindsided by aesthetics over function. It was clearly an attempt at a scam from the off, but they were screwed by demands for secure payment methods.

People need to be wary of power consumption estimations, I'm not a KnC shill, I never have been, all I've ever done is pointed out that they are the only company staffed by experienced engineers with know how that have been honest with the factual information that they have had to hand at the time. Real engineers will not promise marketing hype to tie up your funds without accountability. They promise what they know is possible and adjust the predictions as and when the data available becomes reality by being proven fact. Good business practice offers secure payment methods.

I find it funny that you're still championing KNC over every other vendor. There is only a week and a half left in September. When the end of the month comes, I expect to be proven correct, that KNC will delay... how long will they delay? That's anyone's guess.

Like seriously, wtf Bitcoinorama. Is it really that hard to see why people think you're a shill? There's only a week and a half left for KNC to meet their initial shipping deadline and no signs they will ship in the next week and a half, yet you are still glorifying them. It's like an abused wife denying she's being abused while her husband is in mid-swing...

PS: Nothing personal bitcoinorama. I like you and like having you around. However, I find it puzzling how you can be so blind to think KNC's shit doesn't stink. I would love to be proven wrong about them delaying, as I have a couple orders with them. I just don't see them making a September shipping deadline.
CoinHoarder
Legendary

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 02:05:31 AM
Last edit: September 19, 2013, 02:18:00 AM by CoinHoarder

I consider all of the new companies that have not shown a working ASIC prototype vaporware until proven otherwise. So, they can write a press release... that doesn't mean that they will deliver their product on time or to specifications. Anyone can write and release a press release, not anyone can make a Bitcoin ASIC. (See:bASIC)

Furthermore, the problems of BFL/Avalon/bASIC highlight just how difficult it is to design, develop, and mass manufacture your own Bitcoin ASIC. It is not an easy task, and I'm afraid several of the new companies have set timelines that they cannot deliver on.
ScaryHash

Activity: 529
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 02:23:22 AM

Pics or youtube video of it hashing, or it's vaporware, and you're pissing money into the wind.

As far as I'm concerned, at least KnC hosted a meet and greet and demoed stuff.

BFL....and Avalon.....? riiiiight.... Roll Eyes

As for the rest, time will tell.
ASIC-K

Activity: 280

Hell?

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 02:28:25 AM

OP doesnt even know what the hell hes talking about. DO YOUR RESEARCH.
arlekyn13

Activity: 288

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 03:29:41 AM

Since the OP was looking for a winner (or opinions about it), for me KNC is the winner, the reason my money went to them. Being in the end of the October delivery queue, I'm not very sure I'll mine back all invested bitcoins (VAT was a killer btw, I hate EU for it), but I'm willing to take the risk and I strongly believe KNC was my best option to put my money into mining gear when I decided to do so (27 Aug 1st order).

1CmrswU7JYpi9WNC8EHWCV3aam1FJsW2Zu - to show appreciation for my work
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: