Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:16:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do most people automatically think Bitcoin is a scam/ponzi scheme?  (Read 4253 times)
ardana123 (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 05:17:55 PM

When I tell people about Bitcoin, like I did with my parents, they just would not believe a word that came out of my mouth. They automatically think it's a scam and that I will "lose" all my money even though i only have the bitcoins which I have mined in the past. They don't even bother looking it up.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
coretechs
Donator

Activity: 362
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 05:21:15 PM

Because Bitcoin violates the law of "too good to be true".    Grin

https://bitcoindoc.com - The Rise and Rise of Bitcoin | https://blocktap.io - Lightning powered crypto query engine
BradZimdack

Activity: 87
Merit: 12

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 05:38:04 PM

I think it's a form of Stockholm Syndrome and fiat is their captor.
hayek

Activity: 370

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 05:45:19 PM

It blows their mind that the peons could provide a better system than their benevolent overlords.
superduh

Activity: 602

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 05:52:33 PM

Value goes up..  Must be a scam

ok
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 05:54:48 PM

every time you tell a person that "not" money is money they gonna distrust you by default, whatever you tell them that its carrots, bitcoins or other stuff.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2013, 06:01:46 PM

When I tell people about Bitcoin, like I did with my parents, they just would not believe a word that came out of my mouth. They automatically think it's a scam and that I will "lose" all my money even though i only have the bitcoins which I have mined in the past. They don't even bother looking it up.
It may because you explained it using language that was suggestive of it being a scam. "If it sounds too good to be true!"

I've never had the problem you're describing.

I describe Bitcoin as a novel way for people to consensually interact without trusted third parties, instead of describing it as way to make money.  I am blunt about the risks, but also spend time contrasting them to the risks of alternative (dollars that inflate, banks that are really insolvent, gold notes that are backed by nothing, etc). I share funny stories about over exuberant bitcoiners and the crazy Bitcoin market.

The promise of Bitcoin is enough that people still find it compelling and fascinating even when knowing the real risks associated with it. It's hard, however, to tell someone that they're being scammed when they're being so frank about the risks.

FeedbackLoop

Activity: 742

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 07:01:43 PM
Last edit: September 19, 2013, 12:02:13 PM by FeedbackLoop

It may because you explained it using language that was suggestive of it being a scam. "If it sounds too good to be true!"

I've never had the problem you're describing.

I describe Bitcoin as a novel way for people to consensually interact without trusted third parties, instead of describing it as way to make money.  I am blunt about the risks, but also spend time contrasting them to the risks of alternative (dollars that inflate, banks that are really insolvent, gold notes that are backed by nothing, etc). I share funny stories about over exuberant bitcoiners and the crazy Bitcoin market.

The promise of Bitcoin is enough that people still find it compelling and fascinating even when knowing the real risks associated with it. It's hard, however, to tell someone that they're being scammed when they're being so frank about the risks.

+1

Some of the people who tell me they think it's a "scam" are people who heard about it before in the context of mining, especially in the context of easy early mining which might be the light under which OP's parents see it. One of the smartest guys I know told me: "Oh Bitcoins? Yeah I know that. It's all a scam because now you can't even mine it with GPU's anymore, you need specialized hardware for it."  Grin

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4463

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 07:51:07 PM

when people talk about bitcoin as this item that is created by a computer that literally creates money.. ofcourse its hard to beleive.

what needs to be done is for everyone spreading the wrd in this manner to realise one thing..

bitcoin has now expanded beyond average joe mining coins, so please stop mentioning it from the perspective of mining to create wealth.

instead if you mention it as a replacement of a master/visa card. that it can be used internationally with less fee's, no application forms, and you can send funds without any of the payment processing 'red tape' you will get less objections.

the other point to make is that you should be aiming your energy more at merchant adoption. after all without things to spend it on, it holds less value. so increasing its usefulness, increases its value.

just telling family and friends to throw money at a new project wont help the community, wont help expansion and eventualy wont help those you insisted on throwing money into it

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
eleuthria
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 09:59:43 PM
Last edit: September 18, 2013, 11:12:52 PM by eleuthria

I find very few people think of Bitcoin as a scam/ponzi when I talk to them about it.  But there is a HUGE difference between the way I talk to people about it and the way other people normally get introduced to it.  I do not use high tech terms.  I do not make broad generalizations.  And I do NOT talk about how they are created (mining) until after they show understanding of the underlying concept itself.

I have sat next to relatives and previous employers who are what I would call "computer illiterate", which is definitely the category that would be very hostile towards a high tech virtual currency.  Everytime I speak with them, I'm paying very close attention to their questions and their faces.  As soon as I see them getting lost, I double back and phrase it using analogies that people are more comfortable with.  It's not a market pitch, it's not a lecture, it's something inbetween.

The real key is to keep things abstract & concept oriented, so they have an idea of what it is and why it can be useful, before bringing in the concept of exchanges, market rates, and especially mining.  Mining is by far the most "scammy feeling" part of Bitcoin for the uninformed person, since it is literally printing money by running a program, and introducing Bitcoin and discussing mining before the groundwork is placed is going to have anybody feeling very uncomfortable about Bitcoin at the start of the introduction.

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 10:14:08 PM

Chances are you are describing it in the wrong way

The same reason why i don't like people giving bitcoins for free to friends, you don't give money for free, if you do something is suspect

marcotheminer
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1049

┴puoʎǝq ʞool┴

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 11:58:15 PM

Exactly, many people just dont believe it partial because we dont explain it properly and we make it sound like a game!
gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2013, 12:02:30 AM

Mining is by far the most "scammy feeling" part of Bitcoin for the uninformed person, since it is literally printing money by running a program, and introducing Bitcoin and discussing mining before the groundwork is placed is going to have anybody feeling very uncomfortable about Bitcoin at the start of the introduction.
Absolutely, it's also the hardest to understand.  If you explain mining without explaining the rest of it, it gets misunderstood.

First you explain the whole idea of a scarce money like good created by a p2p system and how that can be socially useful.  Depending on the audience you explain the problem of achieving a distributed consensus.  Mining just solves the distributed consensus ("Security" for the less technical audience) while also solving the practical problem of getting the coins into circulation to begin with.

Once people understand the usefulness of Bitcoin and see that mining exists to solve important and necessary problems the result from the creation of the system, then it no longer sounds like some kind of scam.
will1982

Activity: 122
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 12:05:04 AM

Yup.
5 cents fee, instant global transactions?
clipcoins

Activity: 119
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2013, 04:53:22 AM

Because average IQ is about 100 and half of the people are below that.

Only dumb people say that.

Opened Now: Clipcoins.com
nnimmo

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 05:05:21 AM

i think there are bellow reason:
1. they don't know and don't study theory of bitcoin.
2. bitcoin is new to the world.
3. the price rised too quick
BorderBits

Activity: 275

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 05:32:09 AM

Probably because many Bitcoiners tend to talk like people who sell MonaVie and Herbalife.  The community is largely a cargo-cult with delusions about what BTC is and what it is capable of. Considering all the shenanigans here -- from Bruce, to Pirate et al., to Spnogebob McA+++, to BFL, and every hack and "hack", and Chinese relics dealer in between -- there's definitely a very high scam to legitimate business ratio going on. 
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 11:54:39 AM

The same reason that they think fiat money is legit: rely on powerful entities, no knowledge about money

Banking must be the most delicate scam ever, it is built on many illusions and psychologies, less than 27% people understand what is QE. For majority of people, it takes a very long time before they realize this scam, maybe never

Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 12:28:47 PM

Like most people already mentioned when I talk to someone about Bitcoin I don't even mention mining or the increased Value (most people come back a few days later to ask me about that though).

I mainly describe it a financial tool that offers the user 100% control of their money without having the to trust banks or government.

A System where you can nearly instantly transfer value world wide without needing to pay any 3rd parties in the process.
A System that knows no borders, no frozen accounts or special rights for a wealthy elite.

A system that is to 100% in the hands of their users, where everyone can see the rules by what that system works and that this rules can only be changed if the users agree.

When it comes to mining. I only talk about that users can contribute calculation power to the network that is used to verify transactions. I also don't call it mining but verifying transactions.

If we come to this I mention  that it is no payment provider, but a independent currency and therefore it's value of course fluctuates to the € or $. But don't mention the massive increase in value. People that are interested by that time will find out about it on their own and if not they would only get in for the (IMO) wrong reasons anyway.

I have yet to here it's a scam.

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
Alph0nse

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 02:22:35 PM

Because they don't have a fundamental understanding of what money is.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: