Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 01:46:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do most people automatically think Bitcoin is a scam/ponzi scheme?  (Read 4258 times)
Trongersoll

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 07:06:18 PM
Last edit: September 19, 2013, 07:25:30 PM by Trongersoll

It is a scam! heh j/k.  as to why people see it as a ponzi scheme, that is because everyone says the value of the coins will continuously go up. You buy your coins at this price, and then you sell them later to the next guy for more money. This depends on there always being someone later to give you your return, hence a ponzi scheme.

People are used to inflation, the value of your money always goes down. A currancy who's value continues to go up? Thats just crazy, can't be true, can't happen.

But, Bitcoin is unique in that it is both a currancy and a commodity with limited supply. So yeah, it's value can continue to go up, as long as people place value on it. As long as you can buy and sell things with it, it will have value.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 07:11:23 PM

I can't blame them for their initial reaction. It sounds to good to be true, and most things like that are to good to be true. I was suspicious at first. Once I read Satoshi's white paper I was like  Shocked

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2013, 07:20:25 PM

If it wasn't open source then I would have been suspicious as well but when I saw it all in action and the websites that were popping up and how much it scared the media I was getting an Anarchist boner Tongue I think Trongersoll is right, people, including us have undergone some serious social engineering and Bitcoin is something that completely tears the neo-keynesian ideology we were taught in school to pieces.

It's a bit like when you see religious people get proved wrong with scientific fact.
BorderBits

Activity: 275
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 08:44:32 PM

Also,

Alpaca Bob

Activity: 153
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 10:48:54 PM

The bitcoin-ATM's are going to be huge in this aspect. Several people I know are suddenly starting to take bitcoin seriously now that ATM's are rolling out. If it comes out of an ATM, it must be real money, right?

The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks
Cudahuda

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 10:51:26 PM

Its "too good to be true" and most people trying to "sell" someone on something financial are used to various unsound investment schemes.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 10:52:10 PM

People are generally quick to make comments before reading into something first. I'm glad I never claimed as to be a scam from day 1 when I was introduced to it.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

BitAddict
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 01:51:30 AM

Because Bitcoin violates the law of "too good to be true".    Grin

Exactly! I was going to write the same Tongue
99% of the time if is too good to be true... it is scam/ponzi. But this time where in the 1% Wink

Also for new users is hard to learn about bitcoin, in the future with more development it will be different.
saif313

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 02:50:59 PM

99% of the time if is too good to be true... it is scam/ponzi. But this time where in the 1% Wink

Also for new users is hard to learn about bitcoin, in the future with more development it will be different.

agree +2 because its going to be more develop then may be some more reliable for newbies

Pumpkin

Activity: 151

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 09:15:30 PM
Last edit: September 20, 2013, 09:25:58 PM by Pumpkin

Extremely valuable and interesting thread, thanks for everyone!

I will mostly repeat other people, but here's my point:

I don't talk about bitcoin as something that will earn people money. I talk about morals and how fiat currency is wrong and bitcoin could be the solution. Bitcoin is extremely risky, but it's an attempt to escape the corrupt system and is worth the risk and some small personal financial sacrifice.

No way people will think bitcoin is a scam when you describe it as something that will lose them USD. Sell USD and buy bitcoin because it's the right thing to do, not because you want more USD.

"I have converted my savings into bitcoin, because fiat currency system is immoral and corrupt. Bitcoin could save the world - it just needs some help!" - People might think I'm an idiot, but they will not think I'm scamming them.

P.S. Oh and for the love of God, don't talk about mining unless they explicitly ask about it first.
BitcoinProfi

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 09:49:41 PM

agree +2 because its going to be more develop then may be some more reliable for newbies

Why hard to learn? There are enough sites that explain how it works
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 05:52:17 AM

They obviously do not know what Bitcoin is and what a Ponzi scheme is.
Trongersoll

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 08:03:24 PM

Because average IQ is about 100 and half of the people are below that.

Only dumb people say that.

The truth that everyone else seems to be skirting around. Lol

Actually, I've always found the "50% of the population has a below average IQ" statement to be obnoxious and made by people who were mostly full of themselves although it was for them most part unwarranted. people forget that IQ is a Bell Curve so most of those falling below average are marginally so.
ronimacarroni

Activity: 140

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 08:10:49 PM

I tried explaining bitcoins to my family.
They said what if the owner decides to pull the plug.
I'm not wait, it doesn't work like that, the bitcoins are already in circulation
And they said well can't the guy in charge do whatever he wants with the program?
And I'm like, well he can change the protocol, but...
Then they went on why somebody would want to use bitcoins instead of money and so on...
Ugh someone should write a pocket book or something about it to save people the head ache.

lassdas
Legendary

Activity: 3658
Merit: 1448

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 11:01:44 PM

You should have been like "there is no owner/guy in charge!"  Wink
BorderBits

Activity: 275
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 22, 2013, 01:30:44 AM

Because average IQ is about 100 and half of the people are below that.

Only dumb people say that.

The truth that everyone else seems to be skirting around. Lol

Because people who shovel their money into 7% weekly returns, non-existent ASIC pre-orders, and who believe a proof of concept provides a realistic platform for a world economy are obviously the smart ones.  Holy shit, the delusions of this community are amazing(ly fucking stupid). 
marcotheminer
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1049

┴puoʎǝq ʞool┴

View Profile
September 22, 2013, 05:15:02 AM

Because Bitcoin violates the law of "too good to be true".    Grin

Yup.
5 cents fee, instant global transactions?

As well as FREE MONEY FROM FAUCETS? I mean what the? Tongue
Boussac
Legendary

Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2013, 05:00:35 PM

I'm not wait, it doesn't work like that, the bitcoins are already in circulation
And they said well can't the guy in charge do whatever he wants with the program?
Then they went on why somebody would want to use bitcoins instead of money and so on...
Ugh someone should write a pocket book or something about it to save people the head ache

I find it useful to draw a parallel between bitcoin as an internet protocol and smtp (e-mail) or http (web).
No one can "pull the plug" on email or the web.
I always stress that bitcoin was first a protocol (described in Satoshi's paper), then a network formed around that protocol only then it can become a currency like any other currency, except it's not debt money.
People must understand they are using debt money (USD or EUR) to appreciate the benefits of bitcoin.

ChrisJ

Activity: 146

View Profile
September 23, 2013, 02:09:23 PM

Sell USD and buy bitcoin because it's the right thing to do, not because you want more USD.
P.S. Oh and for the love of God, don't talk about mining unless they explicitly ask about it first.

^^^It's all about this^^^

I can't stand the dollar junkies. Snorting that crap, telling themselves how all their fears will go away if only they had more of them. They don't even want dollars, they want the freedom that they (apparently) buy. They only think they want dollars because the law tells them that and they have to weave a story about how it's really their choice because the truth is too humiliating for them to stand.

Why give something that kind of power of you? Seriously.

I want to make the world better than I found it
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
September 23, 2013, 04:24:45 PM

Ugh someone should write a pocket book or something about it to save people the head ache.

I wonder how you "tried" to explain it, probably in the wrong way. no wonder that it ends up like that

"he can change the protocol" yeah sure

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: