Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:39:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Powerpoint Presentation  (Read 6898 times)
dduane (OP)

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2011, 06:53:11 AM

I'm going to be speaking at IgniteDC in a week about Bitcoin and I've created a draft of the slides I'll use to introduce Bitcoin to the audience there.  The format is 20 slides, and the slides change automatically every 15 seconds, and the presentation lasts 5 minutes.

Anyhow, the slides are due by Wednesday, so if you have a chance to look at them at http://bitcoinbasics.com and give me some feedback before then about them, that'd be great.  There is so much I'd like to cover and the slides don't include what I'll be saying, but if you see any glaring omissions or points I've missed, please let me know at d@duane.com

Of course, feel free to use these as you see fit.

I start off talking about the history of money, then draw comparisons to other contemporary exchange/value systems, and launch into Bitcoin itself.   I'll add four more slides at the end talking about The Potomac, a local currency in Washington, DC.

of course, donations are accepted at the two addresses that are listed in the slides:  1QDQUYyhLgWxhvE8o158Xr3asBd84oqvD

Thanks!

--Darrell
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Cryptoman

Activity: 726
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 25, 2011, 08:00:57 AM

There was no presentation when I looked.

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." --Gandhi
ColdHardMetal

Activity: 700

View Profile
January 25, 2011, 09:33:07 AM

There was no presentation when I looked.

+1

davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2011, 09:37:38 AM

genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
January 25, 2011, 12:20:55 PM

--Darrell

Ĉu vi rigardis la parton de ĉi tiu forumo por aliaj lingvoj? Ni havas grupon de esperantistoj tie.

La ligilo:
http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1568.0

Ĝis
dduane (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2011, 12:55:25 PM

ok I fixed the permissions, its available now at http://bitcoinbasics.com
ColdHardMetal

Activity: 700

View Profile
January 25, 2011, 12:58:02 PM

Right away before looking at more than a few slides I would suggest you change that background. No one is going to want to stare at that for however long you are speaking.

ptd

Activity: 114
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 25, 2011, 01:07:34 PM

Make this clearer "Bitcoin 'Mining' (~50 BTC created / 10 min)" (slide 14), my computer would make ~50 BTC every 78 days (if I actually mined with it).
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2011, 12:03:48 AM

It really isn't that compelling to me and it's a topic I'm very interested in. I'll try to be more helpful when I get the time.

The biggest problem I see is all the time spent on comparisons with other systems. Definately mention them when it comes up like "Because of the nature of the Bitcoin peer network there can be no chargebacks, unlike PayPal where merchants can have funds disappear even after 30 days." or "There will only ever be 21 million bitcoins in existence; this ensures that the value of bitcoin holders cannot be diluted as value held in dollars can."

Those charts are boring and contain lots of unnecessary information.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
January 26, 2011, 12:37:43 AM

One FAQ I get is "why not use Paypal?"

My answer is:  Paypal is a layer on top of currencies.  Paypal offers digital access and fraud protection on top of various currencies (USD, EUR, JPY, ...).  In the distant future, Paypal would hopefully offer BTC as a supported currency, alongside USD and EUR.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2011, 01:38:12 AM

One FAQ I get is "why not use Paypal?"

My answer is:  Paypal is a layer on top of currencies.  Paypal offers digital access and fraud protection on top of various currencies (USD, EUR, JPY, ...).  In the distant future, Paypal would hopefully offer BTC as a supported currency, alongside USD and EUR.

This brings up an important point you need to make. Bitcoin is two things. It is a new unit of account/money/currency whatever you want to call it. And it is a method of payment. A good one, but you can build others on top, like mybitcoin or paypal.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2011, 01:46:54 AM

I know you don't have a lot of time, but I think it needs a lot of work to be good. Are you allowed to change the slides at all after you submit or are they totally locked?

Overall plan:

Start with a "Bitcoin is" slide; it is a new currency and a system for transferring that currency.
Then "What is required in a currency"
Then "Bitcoin has these features"
Combine or kill those blue charts.
Expand the vulnerabilities topic into a few slides so you don't leave misconceptions like you will now.
Don't end with vulnerabilities, we'll find something positive to put there.

Also I think you should rethink the background. At the very least you should invert colors so it is light and then alter the contrast so it isn't distracting and use black text.

Let me know if you are willing to work on these changes and I'll try to help with wording and details. How much have you worked on what you'll say? I'm guessing this is a rapid fire thing and you will need to be excited in order to stand out. Try to find ways to express how world-changing this could be without coming off as being a dreamer/crazy.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2011, 02:05:59 AM

The Potomac seems boring and unrelated to Bitcoin. Why did you decide to put both in a really short presentation?

I know you can't change your title now, but maybe you could make kind of a joke out of it. Like "Hi, I'm going to to tell you about 2 new currencies the Potomac and Bitcoin. The Potomac is a papar currency like you're all familiar with; it is accepted by X people in the DC area. Okay now onto Bitcoin. Bitcoin is a completely new kind of currency."

dduane (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2011, 03:41:05 AM

Thanks for all the great suggestions.  I'm going to work on it more this evening and see what I can come up with.  I agree I need a better background.  I'll see whatelse I can incorporate, you've got great points.

As for the charts, I agree they are overload.  with only 15 seconds per slide, I plan on only talking about the Bitcoin features, and just letting the audience take in the other fields as they read them, I don't plan to cover everything. 

I have a personal interest in promoting the Potomac as well, although it is not the focus of this presentation.  However, I expect there will be people in the audience who will be more interested in thh Potomac and I want them to know that it exists.  I believe that by including it in these slides offers the idea that there is a lot of change happening in the currencies that we use, and each one adds validity to the other by including them both for this particular audience I'm speaking to. 

FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2011, 04:45:19 AM

Thanks for all the great suggestions.  I'm going to work on it more this evening and see what I can come up with.  I agree I need a better background.  I'll see whatelse I can incorporate, you've got great points.

As for the charts, I agree they are overload.  with only 15 seconds per slide, I plan on only talking about the Bitcoin features, and just letting the audience take in the other fields as they read them, I don't plan to cover everything. 

I have a personal interest in promoting the Potomac as well, although it is not the focus of this presentation.  However, I expect there will be people in the audience who will be more interested in thh Potomac and I want them to know that it exists.  I believe that by including it in these slides offers the idea that there is a lot of change happening in the currencies that we use, and each one adds validity to the other by including them both for this particular audience I'm speaking to. 

From the slides it looks like the Potomac is a paper currency temporarily pegged to the dollar that you can get at a discount? Is there any more to it? Is there a person or group who promises to exchange back to dollars or is it somehow valuable to people without this guarantee?

The security issues slide is inconsistent. Saying the same thing different ways is great in fiction, bad in technical prose and terrible in a chart. Pick "No" or "Nope" don't switch.

On the same chart under theft you talk about recourse for everything but the Potomac, but for it you say "Easy to do, but unlikely" shouldn't it read "No recourse" according to the pattern of info you've been putting in. If you really want to keep this I think it needs to be separated into "Easy of theft" and "Recourse after theft". All in all it's an absolute info overload and most people won't focus on what you want them to, but instead think "I only paid $25 for my canceled check" or "I'd rather be phishing right now"

All the charts though confuse the issue that bitcoin is a different currency and a different payment method. It wouldn't be fair to bitcoin to talk about bitcoinmail's silly policy of keeping money not claimed in two weeks and putting that on your chart. Likewise it isn't fair to compare bitcoin's no chargebacks to some services people buy specifically because they allow chargebacks when a bitcoin chargeback service could very well exist soon.

Different subject. If you are going to flash up three widows of bitcoin stuff for 15 seconds at least make the main window sit in the exact same place on each slide so people don't have to 'reprocess' it and it is very clear that someone clicked a button and a new window come up, not a whole different thing. I know bitcoin is simple, but when multiple windows open and move and have 32 digit addresses on them anything you can do to make it look as simple as it is is good. I know this means the first window won't fill the whole screen, that's okay. It won't on their monitor at home either. Minor thing, but I think it will help.

Vulnerabilities need elaborated on. Without doing that Bitcoin sounds like trash. 

Bittorrent is thriving and it almost exclusively used to do things that have been illegal for decades. And this is without monetary incentive to the peers like there is in bitcoin. Do not imply that some dictate from Senators can stop Bitcoin and leave it at that.

If 99% of nodes decide to keep generation at 50BTC/block it won't affect those who keep the original rules. You won't be bale to fool them. This is true of other types of rule changes too, like altering difficulty or something. Correct rule following nodes will reject all bad tx and keep doing their own thing. 50% applies to rewriting history mainly. If you want to keep this one I would say it like "An attacker who can match the power entire network can "unspend" his own coins." 

Bitcoin will scale well. "Too much milk will kill you" How much? "Enough to kill you" It's pretty meaningless. But by saying it you imply that there is some point where it breaks. Sure there will come a point where a computer from 2007 using 2010 internet won't be able to get transactions fast enough to be useful, but that doesn't matter. There are incentives in place that ensure people will solve the problem. 

I think blaming a currency for the distribution of wealth is ridiculous, but I know a lot of people might think that way. I think it's like blaming paper for what is written on it. Money is for keeping track of who has provided goods and services in the past and it entitled to similar in the future. If you don't like what that implies then you have a problem with money not this particular money.

If you talk about "nefarious activity" maybe make a joke like "But that hasn't been a problem for the dollar"

"Other" seems like filler. Just don't claim your list is comprehensive.

I know that's a lot. Let me know if you want me to do more or if I'm just being a drag.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2011, 09:56:12 AM

I'm missing the information that transactions are designed as irreversible

that would impose some technical problems to let's say paypal to handle payments with bitcoins
unless they charge a fee that would cover insurance costs. because payment once done remains a payment
no matter what you proclaim later

and despite the popular opinion that bitcoin is currency, it is more of a commodity that currency.
it can be used for exchange for goods, services and other currencies but it is a commodity

Any company wanting to provide the possibility of chargebacks would get identity info on its users, if there was no money left in the account they would choose whether to go after it or sell it to collections or whatever.

dduane (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2011, 08:58:20 AM

Ok, I've taken in a lot of your suggestions and updated the slides, they're available at http://bitcoinbasics.com.
  There is still more for me to process about some of the suggestions above., but let me know what you think now if you have a moment.

Thanks,
   --Darrell
     http://bitcoinbasics.com
FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2011, 11:07:41 AM

A few small things:

I think it's more accurate to say that bitcoin generation decays geometrically, not exponentially. Maybe write "New issuance decreases geometrically leading to a fixed limit of 21 million bitcoins in 2140"

50 every ~10min is more accurate

It should be made clear (verbal is fine) that the faucet is just a site someone runs, not another method of issuance.

Maybe replace "Sell something for them" with "Accept them as payment" or "Sell your products for them". I think it's more inspiring and less one-off sounding. Personal preference though.

The richest list looks weird being highlighted grey like that. You might also mention that those could be the balances of banks so it's misleading both ways.

On the map slide I would say verbally that it only shows nodes that are active now or recently and reiterate that you don't need to run a node to use bitcoin so there are more users than the map implies.

Addresses are not always 34 chars. 33 and I think 32 are possible.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2011, 11:10:43 AM

This chart is the same data, but I think it is more readable and less misleading. There were virtually zero coins traded at 0.50 a daily average is more honest data imo.

It is from bitcoincharts.com which you should probably mention anyway since it's an awesome site. Ah, i see it is already in the upper right corner.

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12900

View Profile
January 27, 2011, 01:13:11 PM

Addresses are not always 34 chars. 33 and I think 32 are possible.

They can be 25-44 characters long, in fact. This is a valid address (not owned by anyone, of course):
11111111111111111111BZbvjr

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: