Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 06:52:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can I create a new version of "Bitcoin"? Or are there copyright laws?  (Read 126 times)
Phriend (OP)

Activity: 41
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 04:42:31 PM

Can I create a new coin with the name "Bitcoin" in it? (Bitcoin Moon, Bitcoin Lambo, etc).  Or are there copyright laws that prohibit this?

Also, if I am allowed to use the name Bitcoin, am I required to make a fork from the original code?  Or can I use whatever code I want?
HodorHodl

Activity: 84
Merit: 58

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 04:53:34 PM

Knock yourself out, looks like plenty of others have done it.
@rt27

Activity: 227
Merit: 3

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 04:58:46 PM

Can I create a new coin with the name "Bitcoin" in it? (Bitcoin Moon, Bitcoin Lambo, etc).  Or are there copyright laws that prohibit this?

Also, if I am allowed to use the name Bitcoin, am I required to make a fork from the original code?  Or can I use whatever code I want?

In usual you can, specially if you are authorize to do so. If none don't, coz it will disgrade your personality and you can have the chance to called scammer.
mk4
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 3841

Paldo.io 🤖

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 05:01:37 PM

You can freely make your own version, as no one actually owns the "bitcoin" name; not even Satoshi Nakamoto. I really don't recommend doing it though, we have enough bitcoin versions.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
cryptoair32

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 05:11:49 PM

I think it is more original to give it a name without "bitcoin" phrase.
Asian_Dynasty

Activity: 186
Merit: 4

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2018, 12:50:35 PM

Can I create a new coin with the name "Bitcoin" in it? (Bitcoin Moon, Bitcoin Lambo, etc).  Or are there copyright laws that prohibit this?

Also, if I am allowed to use the name Bitcoin, am I required to make a fork from the original code?  Or can I use whatever code I want?
Bitcoin is free without copyright.You can use your own code or original.

IOVO | INTERNET OF VALUE OMNILEDGER
# THE FIRST DECENTRALIZED HUMAN VALUE BLOCKCHAIN NETWORK
hoanganhtuan

Activity: 12

View Profile
February 18, 2018, 01:08:17 PM

why don't you creat a coin with your name?? And you will build it base on new platform. I think it will be better than thing as you said
Alevira_mox

Activity: 14

View Profile
February 18, 2018, 01:19:36 PM

Yeah you can but nobody will be have any incentive you buy your coin if no architecture is changed.

why don't you creat a coin with your name?? And you will build it base on new platform. I think it will be better than thing as you said

Already been done, why do you think we call the lowest bitcoin denominator a Satoshi?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: