Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 04:48:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: UNICEF asks PC players to extract Ethereum and donate to Syrian children  (Read 107 times)
Jackypot (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2018, 05:17:29 PM

UNICEF Asks PC Gamers To Mine Ethereum And Donate To Syrian Children?

Unicef has started a new kind of charity campaign for Syrian children, asking PC players to use their computers to extract Ethereum and donate their profits.

The charity campaign, called "Game Chaingers", is aimed at players who use high-level graphic cards capable of extracting cryptocurrencies.

What do you think the friends would participate if they could?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Derfcoin

Activity: 38

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 05:25:23 PM

I think this sounds dumb lol.
I'm not trying to be cruel, and I'm actually all for charity...

It's just that they're targeting such a niche demographic that's like made up of such a small percentage of gamers. In high school you're looking at less than 20 people per 2 years who have high level graphic cards for gaming. After having, there's probably more, but still not a lot.

A lot of people are gamers. But not all gamers have gaming rigs....

Plus the fact that hard core gamers are usually selfish people who honestly probably don't want to join extracurricular activities, like donatiNg to unicef.

They'd have better results asking the crypto community or eth pools to do this challenge
trash321

Activity: 602
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 05:28:55 PM

Well, here to say, uniceff is certainly big and good guys, but then they probably have to admit that crypto currency is really crypto currency and fight for their legalization. In this case, I think people will reciprocate.
bob3772

Activity: 415
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 06:00:07 PM

I don't think this will be a particularly successful campaign but if they want to give it a try then good luck to them. Even if it encourages a few people to contribute then that's great.

I feel a more likely result is it will encourage people to look in to mining and then they'll keep the money for themselves instead of giving to charity.

nightmanisrightman

Activity: 252
Merit: 101

Global Risk Exchange - gref.io

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 06:17:56 PM

While this is good in intention I think it is a bit much to ask and in a way seems to also be taking advantage of the cryptocurrency craze without getting involved. Not a good look UNICEF, I supported you a lot when I was kid, not cool at all.

▐▐ █     GRE   ≣   GLOBAL RISK EXCHANGE     █ ▌▌
━━  ((     Whitepaper     |     ANN Thread     ))  ━━
Telegram       Medium       Facebook       Twitter       Github
Martinkuhn

Activity: 161
Merit: 1

0xf54CA5618b90810722B0e833DC150a97743A40B4

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 06:28:24 PM

This is an interesting project and a worthy goal. But it is troublesome for gamers to switch their system to mining and PC players may be too niche a demographic.

They ought to use Monero mining on a particular webpage on their site and ask everyone to support their cause by keeping their browser on that page when they are not using their computer so as to mine for Monero for Unicef. This is an easy way for anyone to participate... even when in the office, we can just switch on to the unicef monero mining page when we go out for lunch.

They just need to make sure that everyone is aware that their website has a monero mining addon and that all the proceeds are going to help the Syrian children.

i am sure it will be widely received this way.

M E D I C H A I N ¦ The Medical Big - Data Platform ¦ M E D I C H A I N (https://medichain.online/)
 SAVING LIVES WITH BLOCKCHAIN
Derfcoin

Activity: 38

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 06:44:43 PM

This is an interesting project and a worthy goal. But it is troublesome for gamers to switch their system to mining and PC players may be too niche a demographic.

They ought to use Monero mining on a particular webpage on their site and ask everyone to support their cause by keeping their browser on that page when they are not using their computer so as to mine for Monero for Unicef. This is an easy way for anyone to participate... even when in the office, we can just switch on to the unicef monero mining page when we go out for lunch.

They just need to make sure that everyone is aware that their website has a monero mining addon and that all the proceeds are going to help the Syrian children.

I like this idea better, and maybe you should pitch it to unicef? It gets everyone involved, from smartphone users to stay at home moms. Could even have a catchy slogan like "1hr on this Web page saves 10 children"
Jackypot (OP)

Activity: 112

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2018, 06:51:07 PM

"Donations work as follows: when participating players take a break from their computers or go to sleep, they can activate the UNICEF Ethereum mining program, donating without giving anything other than access to the processing power of their computer"
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: