Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 10:01:14 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Token Swap - Question  (Read 215 times)
Mankov (OP)

Activity: 426
Merit: 7

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 07:29:09 PM

Hello,

what happens If I miss a token swap? Is the token then worthless or not tradeable anymore? Do I lose money?

For example, I bougth Wagerr token on Waves and the token is still on this platform. Wagerr started a swap several days ago, do I have to send the tokens to the Wagerr-wallet, or can I leave it on the Waves-exchange, and sell it in a few months/years?
Mankov (OP)

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 08:02:16 PM

...and get all tokens/coins swapped automatically on big exchanges, like binance, cryptopia, cobinhood?

Should I only have to care about token-swaps for tokens/coins which are stored in a wallet?

Miiike
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1059

Wait... What?

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 08:46:44 PM

AFAIK, the swap terms and conditions are vary on each project, depends on the dev's decision. Some token just need to sit on an exchange and they'll automatically swapped to higher version while some needs you to "return" the coin to their desktop wallet for the swap. Furthermore, some dev allowed a special case where old token holders, under certain circumstances, can manually upgrade their token by sending it to dev's designated address and the dev will send them back the better version, while some, well some will just ignore you.

A good example that's based on my own experience is PSB (no longer exist, swapped to TOA). They upgraded their coin by simple method where holders only need to keep their coin on an exchange, and the coin will swapped automatically to newer version. A little while after the coin upgrade, they did another swap, rebranding or fusioning or whatever, to a coin called TOA. This time, they require you to transfer your coin to their wallet and it'll be swapped to TOA.

In case of someone missing the event... well, if you check their thread, there is someone missing the event, he just let that be, though, as the coin is a little bit worthless.

p.s.: does this topic belong to this board? Doesn't it have a better and more fitting board? Alt-coin discussion, maybe?
Mankov (OP)

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 10:34:15 PM

Oh man, I guess many newbies don`t know this....

Thx!
Mankov (OP)

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 10:46:32 PM

How often does swaps happen in general in the cryptomarket? Is it very common or not so often?
Miiike
Legendary

Wait... What?

View Profile
February 18, 2018, 06:52:16 PM

How often does swaps happen in general in the cryptomarket? Is it very common or not so often?

From a few projects that I followed, only little portions of project did swaps, most were --unfortunately-- meet the failure before they reached a stage where they need to swap, either because of they did an upgrade or because they want to fulfill market's demand.

One of the easiest way to follow a swap is, of course, by following their official thread and social account. Projects that will undergo a swap most likely will put an announcement about this several days or weeks before the first date of swap
Mankov (OP)

View Profile
February 18, 2018, 11:07:20 PM

Ok, but I have 100 tokens/coins, I can`t follow all of them. Would be a fulltime-job. Is there another solution to stay informed about swaps?
Angel Di

Activity: 588
Merit: 251

EVOS

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 12:56:34 AM

It is better to wait a little probably and to understand everything. And in general it is the best of all if the waves platform makes for a long time that it was convenient to people to do everything to users and to make exchanges and put everything on the platform, without leaving its limits. Long ago it is time already.
Miiike
Legendary

Wait... What?

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 11:27:50 AM

Ok, but I have 100 tokens/coins, I can`t follow all of them. Would be a fulltime-job. Is there another solution to stay informed about swaps?

As in 100 projects? My advise would be to let go of some and only focus on those that you see most prospective. Hold some and sell the rest. Then, on those you hold, follow their news and update
Mankov (OP)

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 11:52:44 AM

would be to let go of some and only focus on those that you see most prospective. Hold some and sell the rest.

Would be only a few, which I´m willing to sell. Did a long research for all coins. And I think 2018 is one of the biggest year in cryptomarket, many companys come in, I think the chances are not so unlikely, that many of my coins/tokens make profit.
Maybe I find another solution to stay informed about swaps and forks.
Miiike
Legendary

Wait... What?

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 06:07:46 PM

would be to let go of some and only focus on those that you see most prospective. Hold some and sell the rest.

Would be only a few, which I´m willing to sell. Did a long research for all coins. And I think 2018 is one of the biggest year in cryptomarket, many companys come in, I think the chances are not so unlikely, that many of my coins/tokens make profit.
Maybe I find another solution to stay informed about swaps and forks.

Come to my mind, a significantly easier method, will be to join their telegram community, although I am also aware that not every project will have a telegram channel. With telegram, they would pin such important message as a swap, which make you only need to check back every now and then to read the pinned message. You can mute the channel if you feel they give too much notification. Check every once a week is enough, I think.
jasurakk

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 08:28:32 PM

I'm also a bit confused with these token swaps...

During last few years I've been inversting on dozens of different alt coins, with a purpose to hold them for a long term, maybe 3-5 years. Now I noticed that there are coins such as Qtum which are not anymore using Ethereum blockchain, but have been swapped into it's own Qtum- blockchain. So, to be able to use or sell my Qtum- coins, I should do this procedure called "token swap".

And when I Googled for "token swap", I noticed that many other coins that I own have also already transfered onto their own blockchain & wallets, or are going to do so in the near future.

So my questions are:

1) Do I really need to do this token swap right away for every coin I own, as soon as it's possbile? Or could I just wait for that 3-5 years, and do the swapping when I'm ready to sell some?

2) I could not find a list of all swappable coins, is there such a list anywhere?? I mean; is there any site where I could check if a token swap is needed for my own coins or not?
Miiike
Legendary

Wait... What?

View Profile
May 09, 2018, 02:01:40 PM

I'm also a bit confused with these token swaps...

During last few years I've been inversting on dozens of different alt coins, with a purpose to hold them for a long term, maybe 3-5 years. Now I noticed that there are coins such as Qtum which are not anymore using Ethereum blockchain, but have been swapped into it's own Qtum- blockchain. So, to be able to use or sell my Qtum- coins, I should do this procedure called "token swap".

And when I Googled for "token swap", I noticed that many other coins that I own have also already transfered onto their own blockchain & wallets, or are going to do so in the near future.

So my questions are:

1) Do I really need to do this token swap right away for every coin I own, as soon as it's possbile? Or could I just wait for that 3-5 years, and do the swapping when I'm ready to sell some?

2) I could not find a list of all swappable coins, is there such a list anywhere?? I mean; is there any site where I could check if a token swap is needed for my own coins or not?

For your question number 1, you might want to refer to my post. If some project adapt the "auto swap" method, then your token will be safe. But if they require you to do a manual swap, where you'll be needed to send back to their native wallet during certain span, I don't think a 5 years old token can still undergo a swap, even with the manual ones where the dev took your token and send you the new one by themselves.

For number two, not that I know. Having so many tokens and coins on cryptoworld, one that can decide to do a swap whenever they want, I don't think there is a site that record all of those swapping. Not sure about this, though
jasurakk

View Profile
May 09, 2018, 05:37:20 PM

Ok, thanks.

Did I understand correctly that automatic swap is only possible when coins are on an exchange? Naturally I don't hold ANY of my coins on an exchange, but on a wallet, paper wallet or ledger nano. So does this mean that I actually would need to manually keep track on all of my coins if they need a swap some day, and then somehow manually transfer them to their new blockchain on some exchange or other www- service?

Darn, this seems to quite a problem in the future; I just counted that I have 98 different coins on my portfolio! How the heck can I keep track on all of them???  Huh Shocked
Miiike
Legendary

Wait... What?

View Profile
May 10, 2018, 06:57:43 AM

Ok, thanks.

Did I understand correctly that automatic swap is only possible when coins are on an exchange? Naturally I don't hold ANY of my coins on an exchange, but on a wallet, paper wallet or ledger nano. So does this mean that I actually would need to manually keep track on all of my coins if they need a swap some day, and then somehow manually transfer them to their new blockchain on some exchange or other www- service?

Darn, this seems to quite a problem in the future; I just counted that I have 98 different coins on my portfolio! How the heck can I keep track on all of them???  Huh Shocked

AFAIK, the only way for an "automatic" swap is if they're stored online. Thus, an exchange or their native wallet (which is sync-ed, of course). Not sure what will happen to an offline and paper, or the ones that's stored on MEW and/or blockchain.

As for the necessity of manually swapping your coins, I'll suggest what I suggested to Mankov, to select only few that you see as promising to hold and sell the others. Besides, I am not sure if all of those 98 coins will still be there and having a high price 5 years from today. Holding few will helps you track the progress of each coin better.

Or, if you want to, you can put them (the ones you less-prefered) on an trusted exchange and set your desired price, so they will be auto-sold during a market raise. Not only it'll help the swapping (if any), it could also help a case of making profit and buyback, as frequently token prices will goes back to a low level after certain high.
jasurakk

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 10:17:53 AM

As for the necessity of manually swapping your coins, I'll suggest what I suggested to Mankov, to select only few that you see as promising to hold and sell the others. Besides, I am not sure if all of those 98 coins will still be there and having a high price 5 years from today. Holding few will helps you track the progress of each coin better.

Or, if you want to, you can put them (the ones you less-prefered) on an trusted exchange and set your desired price, so they will be auto-sold during a market raise. Not only it'll help the swapping (if any), it could also help a case of making profit and buyback, as frequently token prices will goes back to a low level after certain high.

Yeah I know that many of my coins will be worthless in a year or two, but I just don't care, that's part of my game ;=) When I select a coin to invest in, I'm always trying to understand what would be it's use case in real life in the future, where's the actual business case for it? There MUST be a good real life point for it, how could it disrupt any current business models one way or another, otherwise it's not going to be my coin. I always try to understand it's whitepaper good enough, check the team, read all articles of it etc., to find coins that suit my purposes well enough. And, I also try to do the investment before the coin enters TOP-50, sometimes even TOP-100, to be able by low, and have enough room for big multipliers. If I can find even few coins that gain some actual real life usage and disrupt some businesses and markets in forthcoming years, in my opinion it's not impossible that they will get 100x gains etc.

Think it this way; if you spread your investment so that you buy 100 coins with 1% share each one, and even one of them gets 100x gain some day in the future, ALL OTHER coins can die away, and still you're on break even! If even few dozen coins survive well enough, there is good potential for a profit.

Of course, my portfolio does not have 1% share fo every coin. For example BTC and ETH are having about 10%, and many TOP-10 coins are between 3-6%, etc.

And I would NEVER store any of my coins on ANY exchange, I just don't trust them enough. If you're a trader, that's a must of course, but since I don't trade pretty much ever, I prefer security over anything. Actually I do trade every now and then, just to balance my portfolio. If some coin's share rises too large, I sell it a bit and invest on some new interesting coins. But this does not happen even every month.

But, I just sent a feature request for this swap information to CoinCheckup, let's see what's their reply :=)

Miiike
Legendary

Wait... What?

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 12:11:12 PM

But, I just sent a feature request for this swap information to CoinCheckup, let's see what's their reply :=)

For my future reference in case someone asked about similar thing (on this forum or other way), does coincheckup inform people about token swaps etc?
jasurakk

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 02:09:29 PM

For my future reference in case someone asked about similar thing (on this forum or other way), does coincheckup inform people about token swaps etc?

For what I know, they don't. That's why I sent the feature request anyway.
jasurakk

View Profile
May 29, 2018, 07:34:45 AM

Hey, I also created a separate thread for token swap notifications, I hope that it will gain enough users to keep us up-to-date:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4338516.msg38845352#msg38845352
Miiike
Legendary

Wait... What?

View Profile
May 29, 2018, 08:09:58 AM

Hey, I also created a separate thread for token swap notifications, I hope that it will gain enough users to keep us up-to-date:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4338516.msg38845352#msg38845352

I read the thread and I think it'll help a lot of cryptocommunity. You might want to make a self moderated thread, though, as iy is very possible that your thread will be visited by spammers
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: