Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 03:37:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to speed up wallet?  (Read 189 times)
WaveRiderx (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 39

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 11:35:16 PM

I open it once a week and it takes hours and hours to update on a fast connection.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitart

Activity: 1442
Merit: 629

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
February 18, 2018, 01:36:11 PM
Last edit: February 18, 2018, 02:14:47 PM by bitart

I open it once a week and it takes hours and hours to update on a fast connection.
Please give some details:
What kind of wallet you use
What kind of device you use (PC, smartphone, Raspberry PI, etc...)

Do you run a full node on your device and because of this you have to keep it updated regularly?
Aura

Activity: 518
Merit: 268

View Profile
February 18, 2018, 01:55:33 PM

Are you talking about Bitcoin Core syncing to the blockchain? If that's the case, then there are some ways to get faster speed. But most of these ways are not really realistic and require purchases. The only thing that is free and might give you some extra speed is defragmenting your harddrive, however Windows does this automatically each week, so it possibly not that effective. Then you have ways like changing your ISP, going wired instead of wireless and upgrading your hardware.
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6131

View Profile
February 18, 2018, 02:06:13 PM

I'm assuming you're talking about Bitcoin core here. You are basically downloading a 155GB file so It will take time, beside a faster connection, an SSD could make things faster. If you are not planning to run a full node, I highly recommend one of the following options:

- Switch to an SPV wallet (Electrum).
- If you want to continue using Bitcoin core, run prune mode.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
bitperson

Activity: 210
Merit: 119

View Profile
February 18, 2018, 02:15:07 PM

If you’re using a hard disk drive but have access to an SSD as well, put Bitcoin, or at least the chainstate folder, on the SSD. Instructions at https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Splitting_the_data_directory.

How to ask questions the smart way
When you’re happy with the answers in a thread you have started, please click ‘lock topic’ to prevent spam.
1AWrZWnN4ThpGB5z24WTzsoZRMqvLpDGYU
WaveRiderx (OP)

View Profile
February 18, 2018, 09:57:00 PM

Cheers guys.  The wallet is on a HDD, bitcoin core.  I did the chainstate trick and put that folder on a SSD.  It loads up instantly now, but I'll have to give it a few days of catch up keeping it offline and see how it goes.  Will then try the prune method if need to.

All hardware is high end, isp is 100megabit and not using wifi.  Didn't know having wallet on a HDD though would be a bottleneck, good to know.  I wonder how many bitcoin buffs have a dedicated SSD for their wallets, lol.
SUDARMONO

Activity: 504
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 12:31:42 AM

If you want to speed up opening your wallet to be more cepet, let alone it's because your internet network, you should fix your internet network to make your internet connection easier, and look for a good internet network in your area
WaveRiderx (OP)

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 06:54:30 AM
Last edit: March 02, 2018, 02:59:30 PM by WaveRiderx

If you’re using a hard disk drive but have access to an SSD as well, put Bitcoin, or at least the chainstate folder, on the SSD. Instructions at https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Splitting_the_data_directory.

Thanks guys it's significantly faster now just from doing this.
WaveRiderx (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 03:00:19 PM

Hey if I want to put the wallet on a dedicated SSD how long would a 250GB last?  maybe a year if that?  should just go 500GB?
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6131

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 03:08:21 PM

Hey if I want to put the wallet on a dedicated SSD how long would a 250GB last?  maybe a year if that?  should just go 500GB?

You can calculate the growth (approximately) based on the last data provided: https://blockchain.info/charts/blocks-size?timespan=60days&daysAverageString=1&scale=0

In the last 60 days, it basically went from 149GB to 159GB (~5GB per month or ~60GB per year). If you didn't choose/buy the SSD yet, I'd suggest going with the 500GB instead of buying 250GB and then changing.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
BillCoin

Activity: 476
Merit: 259

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 03:13:16 PM

It's all depend on the device that you are running you wallet on.
I assume that you are using bitcoin-qt, as you are describing that you need to download the whole blockchain in order to run the wallet.
I would suggest you to replace your device, but as you most likely won't do that because it requires too much effort, I would suggest you to use a wallet that is only connecting to nodes, so you won't actually need to download the whole blockchain, a process that may take a lot of time.
Electrum.org offers it without lowering the amount of security that bitcoin-qt offers.
786SehrishAkhtar

Activity: 155
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 17, 2018, 09:31:41 AM

which wallet you wana speed up?
MEW
Waves and any other ?
dexterbit

Activity: 82
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 17, 2018, 09:56:36 AM

Well, then what do I need to speed it up? A fast CPU + an Internet connection with high bandwidth + a fast storage device.
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4922

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2018, 10:03:45 AM

Set the gas price up, Use a Faster cryptocurrency, Use Transaction Accelerator to speed up cryptocurrency transaction, Increase Fee Through Wallet and always Double-Check the Address!

None of these things answer the op's question...
Gas price? We're in the bitcoin subforum, and he's not talking about slow confirmation
Faster Cryptocurrency? Bitcoin transactions are transmitted instantly... If you chose your fee wisely, it usually takes less than 20 minutes for a confirmation to
Transaction accelerator? Op's not talkking about slow confirmations
Increase the Fee? Op's not talkking about slow confirmations
Double check the address? Good advice, but completely offtopic

which wallet you wana speed up?
MEW
Waves and any other ?

The OP is posting in the bitcoin discussion subforum... Even if previous answers wouldn't have made it perfectly clear that the OP's problem is with bitcoin core, it would have been safe to assume he was talking about a bitcoin wallet, not ethereum or waves... By the way, if you read the other replies above yours, it should have been obvious...

Well, then what do I need to speed it up? A fast CPU + an Internet connection with high bandwidth + a fast storage device.
Sounds about right... A decent amount of memory will also work, and there are a couple of parameters you can set in the bitcoin.conf file that sometimes give you a faster sync/loading time (can't remember which ones tough... My node runs 24/7 on a server, so my conf file is "plain vanilla"

If the sync time is that much of an issue for anybody, just follow OmegaStarScream's advice and go for an SPV wallet, that way only the block headers are downloaded... It usually takes just a couple of minutes for the initial load.
However, running bitcoin core in prune node might not be a good idear, it does not speed up the sync time, it only lets you save some diskspace... But if you ever need to rescan the blocks (for example, after importing a private key), core will need to redownload all blocks (since they were pruned)

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████